U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:28 PM

7,412 posts, read 9,596,609 times

Advertisements

Calif coastal regulators target beach curfews, says people have right to beaches at night - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/travel/sns-ap-us-travel-brief-california-beach-curfews,0,4001654.story - broken link)

The California Coastal Commission has incredible power and has ordered cities like Los Angeles to allow access to beaches after midnight. LA and other California cities have set curfews such as 12midnight to 5am that make beaches off-limits. So if you want to go swimming after midnight you could get a ticket by LAPD. The Commission, however, favors allowing people to stay longer and has given notice to cities to justify their curfews or they will be over-ruled and voided.

Personally, I am glad that the Commission is taking action against Los Angeles!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:47 PM

4,811 posts, read 9,683,174 times
Is it only LA or the whole state?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 PM

16,801 posts, read 37,727,658 times
You need to take Reading Comprehension 101.

But Deputy City Attorney Gerald Sato says the commission has no authority over local laws

Old 11-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You need to take Reading Comprehension 101.

But Deputy City Attorney Gerald Sato says the commission has no authority over local laws
This is want I read: "The commission says people have a right to be on the sand whenever they want and California cities with curfews are violating the Coastal Act".

Old 11-19-2010, 07:59 PM

9,882 posts, read 20,867,463 times
I think the beaches are closed from midnight to 5 am.

If they remain open after midnight crime will most likely increase.

I guess some people would go swimming at night in the pacific ocean but i sure wouldnt.

The water is cold even in the summer.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post

I guess some people would go swimming at night in the pacific ocean but i sure wouldnt.

The water is cold even in the summer.
That's the position of the LAPD that crime would be a big problem if the city beaches were to stay open after midnight. Actually the water temps is often at its warmest at night after a day of sunshine and there is nothing quite as exciting as swimming in the dark [skinny-dipping is just one reason]

Old 11-19-2010, 08:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 18,573,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post

If we closed the beaches 24 hours a day then there would be no beach crime at all, right?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:14 PM

7,187 posts, read 15,042,887 times
Interesting, I've always gone day or night and never had a problem. Of course after midnight is pretty late to be hanging out at the beach unless sleeping. Although it's great for night photography. Here's one from LA County, 4:30 AM. Some may recognize the location:

I think that may be used to stop folks from sleeping/camping out on the beach. And of course it can prevent ppl form getting drunk/high and drowning with no one around to rescue them. I think as one moves further north up the coast, these supposed rules are less strictly enforced. I walked out to shoot sunrise the other morning in Monterey County and some folks were sleeping in a tent on the beach right next to some condos. I did the same thing as a teen in Santa Cruz County and never thought anything about it.

Derek

Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 PM

6,664 posts, read 29,334,904 times
We night dive, best time to find lobster. Usually scuba dive in Laguna Beach.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:16 PM

16,584 posts, read 25,629,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Is it only LA or the whole state?
Dude I think it's LA that has the curfews. I've lost count of the times I've been at south mission or PB well after 2am lol

Also, most of the beaches here have houses right up to the beach so enforcing that wouldn't be to easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California