Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
... and for the govt to decide that I can't paint my house using leaded paint, or use asbestos for insulation, or build a bedroom without windows that might end up being a death trap in the event of a major fire ... Fascism, I say! Fascism! It's every person's God given right to use any sort of unsafe chemicals or dumb design decisions in his house, as long as it saves money (or even if it doesn't - just because he feels like it). I'm sure that Patrick Henry would agree.
Exactly. Because you are FREE to be as dumb or unsafe as you want, if it only affects you. And if I am buying your house, and find that it's got unleaded paint or asbestos I have 2 choices. Fix it myself or not buy that house. Again, there's that pesky FREE word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Your decision not to install sprinklers will directly affect other people who might happen to be in your house in the event of a fire.
And if it's really that important to them, and their worst nightmare is to be caught in your house in the event of fire, then can ask if you have sprinklers or look up at the ceiling themselves. Then they can CHOOSE to stay or leave.

I find it absolutely amazing that the same people that have been shrieking for years to keep the govt out of their bedrooms, and let them marry whoever they want to, are now the people that are in every room in our homes, telling us how to live our lives.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
A little story, some years ago we responded to a house fire, a two story house. The children had been playing in their room on the second floor.

The parents were downstairs watching TV when the smoke detectors went off. Dad ran to the stairs, The carpet on the stairs was burning. Dad in his slippers tried to climb the stairs, and got third degree burns on his feet, the entire upstairs was involved when we got there. The stairs had collapsed.

What we found upstairs, once the fire was out, would not have happened with sprinklers in the house. You brave souls who speak of "freedom" and nanny government, and free will, have never found, what we found, if you had, your opinions would be quite different, and would be based on something other than phoney politics and false bravado.
Then shame on those parents for not installing sprinklers, knowing it could have helped to save their children's lives. And while this story is horrible, and no person should ever come upon this scene, I WOULD like to know what started the fire. Sprinklers may have stopped the fire, but maybe the fire never should have started in the first place.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Then shame on those parents for not installing sprinklers, knowing it could have helped to save their children's lives. And while this story is horrible, and no person should ever come upon this scene, I WOULD like to know what started the fire. Sprinklers may have stopped the fire, but maybe the fire never should have started in the first place.
DANG! I spent about 25 years raising children without sprinklers and none of them ever became charcoal or crispy critters.

"Safety" can be over done if it rules all aspects of your life, especially when it's ordered by government fiat!

At what point in time do you simply throw up your hands, drop to your knees, bend over until your forehead reaches the ground and give up all vestiges of freedom to your "masters" safely housed in government buildings with sprinkler systems so you never again have to think for yourself.

If you haven't done so already, get a copy of George Orwell's dystopian novel, 1984 and read it. It might just open your eyes!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
Quote:
"Safety" can be over done if it rules all aspects of your life, especially when it's ordered by government fiat!
This person writes this as they live in a house built to the UBC, who drives a care built to Federal Safety Standards, who wears their mandated seat belts, who complains when he sees people talking on their cell phone while driving.

I guess we all pick our hypocrisies

Old 11-22-2010, 11:18 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
Quote:
Yes, our construction costs are already high. And you know why? Because of that nasty, nasty set of nanny-state regulations that has to do with earthquake safety.
I've recently had to have installed an automatic earthquake gas service shut-off valve because it is required in Los Angeles before any escrow is allowed to close. Some of the estimates were over $1000 although I finally found a good deal...

So my question for the topic: How long before all existing home sales will require residential fire sprinkler retrofitting before allowing closing of escrow?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I've recently had to have installed an automatic earthquake gas service shut-off valve because it is required in Los Angeles before any escrow is allowed to close. Some of the estimates were over $1000 although I finally found a good deal...

So my question for the topic: How long before all existing home sales will require residential fire sprinkler retrofitting before allowing closing of escrow?
Nothing would surprise me anymore...

SF required copper water pipes... Alameda sewer lateral certification, all areas require smoke detectors... some hardwired and then there is the water heater bracing...

Berkeley has been talking about reflective roofs and mandatory low flush toilets and flow restrictors.

Tahoe requires on site storm water management... and the list goes on.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Nothing would surprise me anymore...

SF required copper water pipes... Alameda sewer lateral certification, all areas require smoke detectors... some hardwired and then there is the water heater bracing...

Berkeley has been talking about reflective roofs and mandatory low flush toilets and flow restrictors.

Tahoe requires on site storm water management... and the list goes on.
CO detectors will be required in every house starting in July. The news article claims 30-40 people die each year from CO poisoning and that each detector costs $30. How many houses are there in California?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
In preparation for putting my house up for sale I also had to have the water heater braced, and have a low flow toilet installed and low flow shower head fitted. I was surprised that the toilet (Niagara) flushes okay, no problem there. Sadly I can't get a good shower anymore due to the low flow shower head. The smoke detectors are okay, and inexpensive.

I had the house repiped with copper about 5 years ago although the old piping was getting pretty bad and I do believe copper is the way to go, but not until the old pipes are worn out.

Another question for the topic: How long before wired smoke detectors are required? (As opposed to the inexpensive batter operated detectors. I'm pretty sure you'll have to hire an electrician to install the AC operated smoke detectors, and probably a city building inspection too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
CO detectors will be required in every house starting in July. The news article claims 30-40 people die each year from CO poisoning and that each detector costs $30. How many houses are there in California?
Wait, what? I presume the plug-in models will be okay? I've had one for about 5 years, after my friend's daughter almost died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The stupid girl was using a hibachi indoors for heating. I'm not that stupid (how stupid am I? ) but I think the carbon monoxide detector was well worth the purchase price. Mine detects natural gas and propane gas leaks too. I'm not so sure they should require them though.

Recently there's been a lot of carbon monoxide detector advertisements on TV (Home Depot + Kidde). I bet the requirement Escape mentioned is probably the reason for the increased rate of advertising.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
In preparation for putting my house up for sale I also had to have the water heater braced
Where you live it wasn't already braced? Not even after January of 1994?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California