Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 14,258 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to California. I am a registered nurse and he is an education major (almost complete) We have 2 children (age 1 and 3) and we just want to get out of NJ. We own a home but we feel we are not getting a lot in return for all our hard work. (2K a month mortgage $550/month property tax included in that, $280/month car insurance, $200/week childcare, $280/month toll charges NJ Turnpike) Not to mention we both hate the cold weather.

I just have a few questions:

1. Will we be able to afford it there? We will probably sell our home before moving
2. Will we be able to find jobs?
3 We just want to live in a nice working class neighborhood with grass and trees (we are always surrounded by concrete here in NJ) good schools and nice places to visit as a family

Any advice welcome. Thanks

We're still somewhat young and want to raise our children in a safe and warm place. Did I mention I HATE THE COLD WEATHER??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 04:34 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
California is crowded - partly because of everyone moving from back east.
I wouldn't move until you found a job. You might have to have one parent move first, set up residence, and then move the rest out.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:50 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
[quote]I just have a few questions:

1. Will we be able to afford it there? We will probably sell our home before moving,

You will need a place to live between selling your home and buying a new new one, A 2k mortgage will get you roughly a $200,000 house, and that in California is very hard to do. You can check median home prices on city-data. In our area you will pay more than $300,000 for a trailer in a trailer park.

As a nurse, yes, most places are a bit short of nurses. A teacher? Pretty tough, most districts are laying off teachers. You can find available jobs in inner city poor areas, but, that may not be what you want.

3 We just want to live in a nice working class neighborhood with grass and trees (we are always surrounded by concrete here in NJ) good schools and nice places to visit as a family

First, I am prejudiced, I would not live in Southern California for any amount of money,( I live just down the road from the "happiest city in the United States") the Central Coast is very nice and priced accordingly. Paso Robles and Atascadero are very nice and a bit more affordable. There are a number of reasonable towns in the Central Valley and Sierra Foothills, great skiing, camping, hiking, mountain biking etc near by.

We're still somewhat young and want to raise our children in a safe and warm place. Did I mention I HATE THE COLD WEATHER??

Wife had the top down on her convertible today, I rode my motorcycle, 62 degrees.

Quote:
California is crowded - partly because of everyone moving from back east.
California is 50% public land available for your recreation, aside from the military lands. Definitely not crowded. If you subtract the Bay Area and Southern California the state is relatively empty, especially compared to the East Coast.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:39 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsbennett2006 View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving to California. I am a registered nurse and he is an education major (almost complete) We have 2 children (age 1 and 3) and we just want to get out of NJ. We own a home but we feel we are not getting a lot in return for all our hard work. (2K a month mortgage $550/month property tax included in that, $280/month car insurance, $200/week childcare, $280/month toll charges NJ Turnpike) Not to mention we both hate the cold weather.

I just have a few questions:

1. Will we be able to afford it there? We will probably sell our home before moving

Any advice welcome. Thanks

As others have said, it's best to have a job to come to when you move here, rather than moving here without work. My wife and I moved here from the east coast nearly 22 years ago. 11 years ago we had job offers to move to south Jersey, living in Voorhees or Cherry Hill. After visiing with the entire family, we decided that it would be the biggest mistake of our lives. We felt we'd be giving up too much. Like you, we don't care for the cold weather and many other aspects of the congested east. No regrets on that decision to stay.

If I were you, I'd first try to find a job, then move here with the idea that living quarters will be temporary until you get to know the area. Above all, don't make the mistake that a lot of NYers make when they move here and try to bring NY to CA. This never works. You must adjust your expectations for what or how large of a home you expect to live in for instance. Keep an open mind. When we first moved here, we moved into an apartment. 6 months later, to a townhouse near San Jose. When money started flowing in from stocks, salary increases, company bonuses, and the like, we bought a few properties before the dot com boom and moved into a house in a district with good schools. My point is that you have to take it one step at a time.

By all means, visit first and spend a week or two here to get the feel. Plenty of resources now with the internet. Once you get hired, your employer should offer relocation assistance that is invaluable.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:51 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsbennett2006 View Post

California will not be that much cheaper, unless you move to some godforsaken redneck county like Bakersfield or Modesto. I'm in the area that's considered boondocks by most standards (30+ minute drive to job centers during rush hour). I'm paying 2700/month mortgage, not including the property tax (I could cut that somewhat by downsizing & refinancing, but it won't go much lower than 2K/month for a detached in a decent neighborhood). My car insurance is $160/month, full coverage on two cars with combined market value of around 40K. I pay $120/week in childcare for one kid, half a day, 3 days a week. No toll roads nearby, but our gasoline is fairly expensive (the cheapest regular in this neighborhood is $2.97, as of this moment), as is our gas, electricity, and water.

And the weather forecast is for 31 F tomorrow night.

The general problem with this country is that most places that are cheaper than New Jersey, are either colder than New Jersey (e.g. Minnesota), or simply not worth living in (Bible Belt).

Last edited by esmith143; 11-29-2010 at 04:02 AM..

Old 11-29-2010, 04:00 AM

4 posts, read 29,867 times
being from vegas myself...I have a brother in cali...I totally agree and confirm what esmith is saying...OMGosh, goondess, grief and gawd...SPENSIVE place to live...Unless like smith says you move to bakersfield, etc...But hey millions do call cali home...Somehow they do manage to make it...Vegas is NO better...Aside from the fact that here we have the highest unemployment of any state or city...We also have the highest state and city with the highest forclosure rate in the nation...Hey when we beat Detroit in those two departments...Lets just say it stinks right now...LOLish...California gave out and still hasnt paid their IOUs from last year in state taxes...California is BROKE...In more ways then one

Old 11-29-2010, 04:09 AM

4 posts, read 29,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
California will not be that much cheaper, unless you move to some godforsaken redneck county like Bakersfield or Modesto. I'm in the area that's considered boondocks by most standards (30+ minute drive to job centers during rush hour). I'm paying 2700/month mortgage, not including the property tax (I could cut that somewhat by downsizing & refinancing, but it won't go much lower than 2K/month for a detached in a decent neighborhood). My car insurance is $160/month, full coverage on two cars with combined market value of around 40K. I pay $120/week in childcare for one kid, half a day, 3 days a week. No toll roads nearby, but our gasoline is fairly expensive (the cheapest regular in this neighborhood is $2.97, as of this moment), as is our gas, electricity, and water.

And the weather forecast is for 31 F tomorrow night.

The general problem with this country is that most places that are cheaper than New Jersey, are either colder than New Jersey (e.g. Minnesota), or simply not worth living in (Bible Belt).
just so yawl know I am native to vegas...Visit cali often...And while both places are lots warmer most months...Its twenty eight here as i type...cold for us vegans...But we and cali have a month or so of cold weather...Snow is not unheard of in Cali or here...We do not get snowed in or even two ft of snow...But cold is cold...I would visit...Do research reguarding your line of work...Even check out transfering out west...Anything is possible ifn we want it bad enought...And HEY just so ya also know...I am the reddest redneck in Vegas...Hehehehe...

Old 11-29-2010, 04:38 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
By the way, the bay area is an excellent place to live. I would recommend you take a look at Campbell, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, and west San Jose (Cambrian area for instance) to start. Avoid east San Jose. Places like Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Palo Alto are pretty pricey.

Highway 101 will be surrounded by the cheaper areas. The pricey areas surround the 280 corridor from SF all the way down to San Jose. Others here can give you specifics about the east bay, marin county, and other areas here surrounding SF.

Enlist the aide of a realtor, again one who is associated with your new employer. Doesn't hurt to look and explore before diving in.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
By the way, the bay area is an excellent place to live. I would recommend you take a look at Campbell, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, and west San Jose (Cambrian area for instance) to start. Avoid east San Jose. Places like Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Palo Alto are pretty pricey.
The Bay Area is great if you can afford it. But if you're raising kids and want half decent schools and don't want to rent, you're looking at 600K or more for a mediocre house. If a place isn't affordable for those living at the area's median income, what's the point?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 PM

291 posts, read 957,732 times
There are plenty of affordable places in California but it depends on what you are looking for. A 2k mtg would get you a small 3 bed house (less than 2,00 sq ft) in most inland areas. You are probably not going to get more (probably the same as NJ) for your money here, unless you are willing to live in a rural area. But your quality of life might improve quite a bit

I would consider San Marcos, CA I hear the prices have been dropping there and you might be able to get a good deal on a home. The school are middle of the road with some well-rated elementary schools. Chula Vista is another more affordable area but again it might not be what you are looking for. Not sure about the schools there either so you'll need to do some research. There's also Temecula which is a very family friendly area, again not sure the schools. Check the San Diego forum.

Also, check the inland empire forum. There are some affordable areas there as well.

The bay area is one of the most expensive places to live. You can still find some affordable places like Concord and Benicia. But, in general, I would avoid the bay area if you are trying to stay within budget.

I would start by checking the quality of schools at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and then check the cost of living for those areas. I am sure you'll find something suitable to you and your family. You will not get everything (since no place is perfect) you want, but I am sure you'll hit most (important) things on your list.

GL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California