Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:34 PM

131 posts, read 277,792 times

Advertisements

A couple questions, but first a little background... I'm a 30 y.o. female travel nurse trying to figure out where to head next---and thanks to everyone on City-data for the quick, frank advice!! I am considering offers in Alaska--which I'm pretty sure I'm no longer interested in (too cold), now it's down to Burlingame, CA and in Crescent City, CA--leaning towards Crescent City because I feel the need to be amongst beautiful nature.

I am looking for a scenic, beautiful, peaceful place that I feel safe and comfortable in for the duration of a 13 week contract. Crescent City sounds great, but a few specific questions...

--In January, would I still be able to enjoy and explore the outdoors, or would it be entirely way too cold and rainy?? How about road trips that wouldn't require 4 wheel drive--are the neighboring areas snowy??
--I've read of meth problems...is it so severe that it would effect my daily life, or is it easy to ignore and avoid?? Such as, are home and car break-in's a regular reality?
--General idea of the inhabitants....laid back, easy to get along with friendly type?? I can handle pot smokers who are normal productive people, but not "i have no job, just smoke herb all day, and may rob you blind if given the opportunity" type. And, meth heads---well, I don't think any of them are the "normal productive type". However, either of the latter two groups are fine, as long as it's not the majority of the population.
--Not a huge priority with this particular adventure, but what is the social life like?? Nonexistant?? Any local places to hear music and have a beer? farmer friendly grocery stores? fun, groovy coffee shops?? anything to occupy my time other than the outdoors??
--Any info. on the hospital??
--If given a choice, which area of town is the safest, cleanest, prettiest place to live??

THANKS so much, City-Data folks! I use this site frequently during my travels and it's always very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Hmm,

Ok totally my opinion after visting both which I highly recommend BTW if at all possible before you make a decision.

But Crescent City seems kind of run down, depressed economically and a bit on the seedy side. That's why I emphasize visiting there first to see for yourself. I do not mind some pot smokers either. But the other element you described may be there as well. I don't think I'd want my wife walking around there at night for example. Pelican Bay State Prison is within city limits and employs many locals. It also draws the prisoners friends, family, etc... to the area. Keep in mind this is a very small town of ~ 7000 including inmates. So I wouldn't expect much nightlife, or at least the kind you're looking for anyway.

If I were ever to live in that area I would live in Brookings OR which is right across the border ~ 25 miles north. Brookings is much nicer IMO - overall just not as run down. The people also seem friendlier there as well. I think Brookings would be the safer of the two. Though it is mainly a retirement community.

As far as natural beauty - Yes. It is there in spades. But Winter will be much cooler/cloudier/foggier/damper. All that green including the redwoods don't get that way without some precipitation which comes mainly in the form of a heavy fog.

But don't get me wrong. It's a great place to visit with the gorgeous Brookings OR coastline to the north and the NorCal redwoods right in there. It wins in terms of sheer natural beauty. And Spring is a great time to visit there which you may catch the beginning of.

Burlingame is the Bay area which is more of a known commodity for most folks. There are more young people there and a compeltely separate demograpahic. There is beauty around SF. I'm not really into the whole city scene. But the coast is nice between SF and Santa Cruz. And of course SF has nightlife.

Hope that helps some,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-30-2010 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 05:12 PM

Hey there!! Yes, definitely helps, as always!!

I just found out the CC is a 6 weeker and Burlingham a 4 weeker...so now it's not so hard, either way it can't be terrible....too short to be miserable. I may try both!! Then I would hit more of the spring time in CC. Why not, huh?!? I love California. I'm fortunate to get to see the state without having to worry about the huge housing prices, so I'm going to take advantage while I can.

Thanks MtnSurfer!!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 PM

Yeah, sheesh, if thats the case then doing both might be fun.

Here is what the area is like in the Spring when the Rhododendrons are blooming (late May usually) amoungst the redwoods:

Crescent City lighthouse:

Southern Oregon Coast, Samuel Boardman SP (near Brookings):

Derek

Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM

wow, those are some pretty magical pictures. nice work. can't wait to see the northern coast, furthest I've been is SF so far! Thanks.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:16 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Lovely photos, as usual!

For a short contract, I'd go almost anywhere. There's a lot of exploring to do in such a short time that you won't get bored. Cretin City is a pit, but the redwoods are right there. You'll enjoy it when it isn't raining. When isn't it raining? Good question!

There's much more going on down in Eureka and Arcata, but that's something you'd only be able to do on weekends.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM

That's pretty much sums up how I feel! Good to know about Arcata, I only have to work 3 days a week, 3 long days that is, but still only 3.

MtnSurfer, you seem to know the CA outdoors fairly well. What are some natural, scenic areas of LA that I should be sure to see while I'm down here?? Where is the prettiest places, within a 1-2 hr drive?? What's all this talk of Malibu Creek State Park??

Anyone else feel free to pipe in as well!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 PM

Haha,

Yeah, I've explored the entire CA coast either for surfing or nature photography. As far as LA outdoors goes it really depends on what you like to see. I prefer the coast and am partial to the South Bay area of LA which is also where I grew up. For beaches check out Manhattan, Hermosa and Torrance. Also Palos Verdes or the Hill has some nice places to visit/sight see. Although I surfed Malibu, Zuma and and that whole stretch up to County Line I never really visited Malibu Creek State Park.

Here is Hermosa Beach:

Torrance Beach:

Palos Verdes:

Derek

Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 PM

If you are in LA during the Spring the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve is an amazing place to visit. It's worth the drive even if you only do it once.

Derek

Old 12-01-2010, 07:21 PM

For Malibu check out El Matador State Beach for some nice scenery - El Matador State Beach - Malibu, CA

Here is a cool image of a sea arch there: Photo Critique Forums

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California