Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times

Advertisements

One can generalize about most anything supported by a preponderance of evidence.

For instance, here is a generalization; Most African Americans have brown eyes.

Here is another, Most dogs make good companions.

Just because something is a generalization does not make it false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 06:19 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
We're just a "suburb" of California, anyway. My northern Utah near neighborhood - before the snow arrived.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Just because something is a generalization does not make it false.
Nor does it mean it has any basis in fact.

Here's another. Most rabid apologists are liberals!

Saying it makes it neither true nor false; just another generalization.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:04 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdpt View Post
Charles,

Ever since we found out we are pregnant with twins that was exactly what I was afraid of. I still enjoy many aspects of SD, but think I could find it in Nor Cal also. My wife has family near Santa Rosa and my in-laws may choose to move near us from Central Cal if we firmly establish roots somewhere, be it Northern or Southern California.

I also possibly would like my kids to be raised with the ability to regularly see their grandparents, aunt/uncles and cousins as I did not have that as a child. So it always brings me back to living in expensive California. This move up here has really taught me to appreciate the things I miss about my homestate, and I will try not to take for grant if we move back.
Sometimes getting away for a while can be good opportunity to get ahead in your career and financially. It worked out that way for us after the brith of our third child. CO was much more affordable and also provided more fast track career options. Then after a time with more marketable skills and experience I was able to bring our family back and to a part of the state we liked the most, but couldn't afford before. After enjoying the wide open spaces of CO we didn't want to move back to SoCal, though the majority of my wife's family is there. So Central Cal was a great place to land for us. We can take weekend trips to SoCal, but are far enough away to enjoy the benefits of smaller towns with room to breath and plently of natural beauty to enjoy.

The only downwside to not living in SoCal is that we don't have daily access to the relatives. But they are all living pretty busy lives. So weekend trips are a decent compromise for us. I think you would like it further north, even if you could only get as far as Ventura. It really will depend on what job opportunities you can find. Part of what I was doing while in CO was resume building and positioning myself for the West Coast market. Since you are gaining valuable experience in WA that should help you as well back in CA if you decide to come back.

We almost moved to the PNW as well. It sure is beautuful up there. So enjoy it fully while there.

Family is definately a huge consideration with young children. The years fly by so fast and then those childhood opportunities are gone for both children, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles.

Derek

Old 12-19-2010, 08:35 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We're just a "suburb" of California, anyway. My northern Utah near neighborhood - before the snow arrived.
Beautiful shot mlb!

Yeah, you don't know how true that is. CO is the same way. Many CA transplants are living there throughout the state. It's kind of like an extended Inland Empire, but without the smog. Most are moving to UT, CO, TX, etc... for similar reasons they moved to Riverside, Bakersfield, Palmdale, etc...

I told my wife I would stay in CO if we could only move it closer to the coast. My father-in-law and his wife followed us out there and he still calls it paradise.

Derek

Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
We, for the most part happily loved living in the Monterey area/ Prunedale area/ Salinas Valley area for several lustrums. We love the beauty of the land, fishin', boonie camping.

I graduated from Monterey High, my beloved Barb graduated from Salinas High. We raised four beloved youngsters (Happy Times). Since then they are living in western states, (OR,CA,NV,AZ) raising their families.

We(Barb&i) always had a Dream to live way out in the boonies on a forested mountain, with a basspond We looked fer our place many years when we were on vacation.

Finally we found our dream place, & were fortunate to buy her in 1987, & been here ever since, living in peace, harmony, tranquility My beloved Barb passed on from cancer, but she is still here with me, in spirit. I talk with her all the tme.

I truly love California & the memories we shared, as my second most loved state. Oregon is my first loved state, & i will be staying here till the end of my time.

I still do visit thar & fish quite often. I have quite a bit of family in CA.

Have a Beautiful Evening, Sisters & Brothers

Old 12-20-2010, 06:50 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Beautiful shot mlb!

Yeah, you don't know how true that is. CO is the same way. Many CA transplants are living there throughout the state. It's kind of like an extended Inland Empire, but without the smog. Most are moving to UT, CO, TX, etc... for similar reasons they moved to Riverside, Bakersfield, Palmdale, etc...

I told my wife I would stay in CO if we could only move it closer to the coast. My father-in-law and his wife followed us out there and he still calls it paradise.

Derek
Thanks for the compliment.

We are 700 miles from San Francisco - and 700 miles from Los Angeles - with I-80 West and I-15 South intersecting in Downtown Salt Lake. Straight shot to California.

Where I am is much better than the Inland Empire.....and the snow skiing is better than Tahoe.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
12 feet has fallen at Squaw Valley in the last three days, 9 feet at Mammoth.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We, for the most part happily loved living in the Monterey area/ Prunedale area/ Salinas Valley area for several lustrums. We love the beauty of the land, fishin', boonie camping.

I graduated from Monterey High, my beloved Barb graduated from Salinas High. We raised four beloved youngsters (Happy Times). Since then they are living in western states, (OR,CA,NV,AZ) raising their families.

We(Barb&i) always had a Dream to live way out in the boonies on a forested mountain, with a basspond We looked fer our place many years when we were on vacation.

Finally we found our dream place, & were fortunate to buy her in 1987, & been here ever since, living in peace, harmony, tranquility My beloved Barb passed on from cancer, but she is still here with me, in spirit. I talk with her all the tme.

I truly love California & the memories we shared, as my second most loved state. Oregon is my first loved state, & i will be staying here till the end of my time.

I still do visit thar & fish quite often. I have quite a bit of family in CA.

Have a Beautiful Evening, Sisters & Brothers
Good for you and your Barb. You're right where you belong; where the memories are precious and the life is sustaining.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
I would love to be in San Luis Obispo! I spent my career there. I just dont think my pension would go far there though. It's nice to be able to travel and spoil the grandkids. That would be out of the question if I had to put up with how expensive it is to live on the Central Coast. But I so wish I could sit at the base of Morro Rock and fish with my grandson! Or show my grandkids the beauty of Yosemite! If I had the finances I would move back in a heartbeat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California