U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,251 times

Advertisements

I lived in Nice located on Clearlake (the Lake), located in Lake County California for about six months. I consider it an island “unto itself” located in the middle of California. When I say “unto itself” I mean; it is inexpensive compared to the rest of California. The remoteness of the area isolates it from many of the personality issues of Los Angeles and San Francisco and the area has a tendency to be somewhat conservative for the right reasons. But, it still has that “live and live let live” attitude that people think of, when they think of California.

Consider Lake County a rural area with each hamlet, or small town, having its own personality. I found that Kelseyville is one the places to eat and drink. It has an eclectic ambiance, or atmosphere. Specifically, try the Saw Shop Gallery Bistro…or just explore. Obviously, Konocti Resort is a place to visit. The food is good. More importantly, the outside deck is the place to party, and the concerts that Konocti have to offer are phenomenal. They bring in big name acts. The outdoor amphitheater holds a small intimate crowd, and you will have an intimate experience with major musical acts. The remoteness of the area keeps it intimate. There is an indoor theater too, again, very intimate. I saw Velvet Revolver, Staind, Kid Rock and I got to experience them in a way you never could at large venue. Because the outdoor venue is small I was able to stand right in front of Slash and watch him do his thing. At last, I must mention the Boathouse in Nice. It is located right on the lake and the party scene and locals that hang there are awesome. As I mentioned, I lived in Nice and when I moved there I knew no one. The locals took me in, and I had many intimate moments and good times.

Another way to spend some time would be to drive down to Calistoga. You will be driving down the side of a mountain coming out of the Clearlake area, and then it will open up with a spectacular view of the wine country as you enter Calistoga. Calistoga is a very cool town, and I cannot say enough about it. Again, do some exploring. You could continue your drive through Sonoma, and Napa, of you should be hitting the wineries along the way. I use to finish this trip by ending up in San Francisco for Bloody Mary’s. Then I would reverse the trip, and head back to Nice.

The only drawback to Lake County is Clearlake (the lake). During the warm months it is green with algae. From what I heard the environmentalist won’t let it be killed off. Don’t know if that is true, but hey it is California.

The short time I lived in Lake County changed my life. I was a broker in living Dallas. I was burned-out, and the people and the beauty of the area helped me find some peace; Zen if you will. I learned to live, again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 02:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,779,030 times
Sounds like someone's got a house to sell...

Old 12-07-2010, 03:16 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,225,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
That's Nice!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:07 PM

6,390 posts, read 8,978,187 times
Clear Lake is the largest lake in California, and it isn't a bad place at all, kind of a poor man's Tahoe.

and... you can eat the algae, really stretches the food budget, spirolina

Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM

153 posts, read 210,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
In comparison to all the other posts about it...

Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM

414 posts, read 1,110,172 times
I used to live in Middletown for a short while during my childhood years. It's down south of Clear Lake, pretty much. I also grew up driving boats on that lake on occasions and also pass by Clear lake to Lake Phillisbury to go fishing. The good ol days! Yes, it is pretty isolated area in California and the cost of living over there is considerability lower. The sad part is there is not much job growth and population growth in the area. Hwy 29 that connects south Clear Lake to Calistoga is one of the dangerous highways in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California