Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,397,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This is, as I suggested. 48.5% + 28.7% = 77.2%. I said its "around" 80%, not sure why you think this conflicts with what I said.

And to say it once again, I said "Dallas/Forth worth metro"....

* Houston and LA aren't identical demographically. LA has a much larger Asian population, it has more ethnic whites, etc.
* LA is far more dense than Houston. Houston has 3,600 per sq mile and LA has 8,000 per sq mile.
* Umm.....seriously? LA isn't humid.
* Yep, both are coastal.....yet the two coasts are rather different.
* So what?
So what is right especially when trying to discuss this with someone who has never lived in Dallas or Houston...but thinks they know it all when it comes to comparisons.

Houston and LA are very similar and I am not alone in this thinking.

BTW LA has 89% humidity right now and you say LA is not humid Every time I was in LA it was humid.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,669,944 times
Its all cute and all that you need to point out that a tautology is true, but you're still avoiding the real issue. Namely, that looking at raw house prices (median, average or whatever) is relatively worthless, you need to look at their relationship to incomes.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:52 AM

12,460 posts, read 19,989,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Houston and LA are very similar and I am not alone in this thinking.
Nope, they still aren't very similar. Nowhere in Texas is "very similar" to Los Angeles, I just find that the Dallas/Fort worth area to be the most similar. Never did I suggest it was "very similar"...

Quote:
BTW LA has 89% humidity right now and you say LA is not humid Every time I was in LA it was humid.
And if you judged the humidity of a region on one day....perhaps you'd have a point. But you don't, today was a cool and cloudy day so yeah, the humidity was high. Now....was today anything like the hell-fest that you experience in Houston in the summer? Absolutely not. There is absolutely no comparison between the humidity in Los Angeles and Houston. None.......the mere suggestion is ridiculous.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:09 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,397,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Nope, they still aren't very similar. Nowhere in Texas is "very similar" to Los Angeles, I just find that the Dallas/Fort worth area to be the most similar. Never did I suggest it was "very similar"...

And if you judged the humidity of a region on one day....perhaps you'd have a point. But you don't, today was a cool and cloudy day so yeah, the humidity was high. Now....was today anything like the hell-fest that you experience in Houston in the summer? Absolutely not. There is absolutely no comparison between the humidity in Los Angeles and Houston. None.......the mere suggestion is ridiculous.
It's ok user. You can think what you like and I will think what I like. Houston is very similar to LA in many ways including weather. I was actually stationed there as a flight attendant back in the 80's and just spent a week there last year. I always found LA to be very similar to Houston on many levels. Dallas Fort Worth has absolutely nothing remotely similar to Houston or LA. Since you have never lived in Dallas or Houston it is understandable that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,362,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Why yes, I can win. Median price has nothing to do with the house, except the price. Parsing doesn't change that.
In weighing the pros and cons of the two states, you will always get more house for A LOT less money in Texas than California.

If it were the reverse, and you could get more house for the money in California, you would be reminding us of it nonstop.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 AM

12,460 posts, read 19,989,062 times
Quote:
Houston is very similar to LA in many ways including weather. I was actually stationed there as a flight attendant back in the 80's and just spent a week there last year.
Your memory is obviously failing you, the humidity levels in Los Angeles and Houston are very different. But there is no point in discussing this, its just ridiculous..... Though the next time a Hurricane hits Los Angeles you can tell me I was wrong.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:04 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
I'm still waitin' for an earthquake of any note to hit Houston!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,871,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
It should be obvious for anyone with half a brain. The people who leave are almost always either poor or elderly. In other words the people who can't afford to live the good life in a such a highly desirable place or the people who are on very limited incomes who therefore simply want to cash out their home equity and find the cheapest place possible to spend the few remaining years they have left before they die.

Neither one contributes much to the economy and neither one is an economic lose especially since they get replaced by younger, better educated, and more motivated people who ARE more likely to contribute to the economy. That's why the total population of California continues to go up with lots of immigrants and lots of native births.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,871,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
In weighing the pros and cons of the two states, you will always get more house for A LOT less money in Texas than California.
This is true but the unavoidable reason is because Texas royally sucks and is a very undesirable place to live. That's why the prices are so cheap. To compare California is an extremely desirable and in demand place to live for people who have the money to live here. This means prices get bid up and that's why it costs so much. It's supply and demand.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It should be obvious for anyone with half a brain. The people who leave are almost always either poor or elderly. In other words the people who can't afford to live the good life in a such a highly desirable place or the people who are on very limited incomes who therefore simply want to cash out their home equity and find the cheapest place possible to spend the few remaining years they have left before they die.

Neither one contributes much to the economy and neither one is an economic lose especially since they get replaced by younger, better educated, and more motivated people who ARE more likely to contribute to the economy. That's why the total population of California continues to go up with lots of immigrants and lots of native births.
What a gross and inaccurate generalization. Many of us who have left could afford to live there but simply decided it was no longer a "highly desirable" place for any one of many factors and reasons. What we contributed was our status as consummers and for many, a lengthy period of employment in the state which, for many, was a lifetime of service. By the time we retired we took and would continue to take far less than we gave/had given in return.

MOD CUT.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-22-2012 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California