Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The lowest branch on the General Sherman tree is taller than any tree in the east, the number of varieties of trees in the smokies is completely irrelevant.
Why is it irrelevant? Because YOU say so? There is more to a tree than merely how tall it is.

The Appalachians are one of the most biologically diverse places on the planet. There are more species of trees than in the whole of Europe. That fact may be irrelevant to YOU, but it's wonderful to many of us, including biologists and scientists in general.

I'm convinced that if California was as biologically diverse, you'd never stop reminding us.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
They look at how much the tax revenues are down as in your first link, and don't stop and think why they are down.
Have you stopped to think why? Tax revenues in California collapse whenever there is a recession, that is because California is overly dependent on volatile revenue sources like income taxes. Why is it overly dependent? Because prop 13...

This is one of the few things Texas gets right, high property taxes and no income tax. Not only is property tax more stable, its easier to collect. It also helps reduce real estate speculation since it increases the carrying costs of real estate. With increased property taxes California could lower its corporate tax and eliminate income taxes on lower/middle class workers and maintain a straightforward 2~3% income tax on income above $100,000 ($200,000 joint).

Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Moonbows:
Quote:
Such sites in the United States include several waterfalls in Yosemite National Park, California; Cumberland Falls, near Corbin, Kentucky;[3][4] and Waimea on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai
Underground waterfalls:

Quote:
The underground waterfall at the Grotto and Sandstone Peak at Circle X Ranch.

Tucked in the canyons above Malibu (that would be in California, right?)

This is two hikes in one day. ! -------------------------------- The first one is relatively easy: down from the Circle X Ranch ranger station to the Grotto and the various waterfalls. The Grotto is really cool because this is a underground waterfal
I find it odd to compare redwoods and a water fall, why not compare Afghanistan to a foot stool?
I find it helpful to do my homework before I post.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Ahhh the Moonbow at Cumberland Falls! I was able to view it 2 years ago with my brother on a cold fall evening. It was awesome!
I have visited several times, but not at night. Hope springs eternal however.

It is a great sight I understand and truly unique.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I would say first off, your brother moved for other reasons than surf, and second, Mavericks.
Actaully he is a surf fanatic, has surfed all around the world and left CA because of the crowding and minimal surf access for surfers. On the East coast, he now lives in the South East, he has miles of beautiful beaches to visit and surfs in warm water. He won't go back to CA. Visited 4 times in 35 years after moving.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Moonbows:

Underground waterfalls:

I find it odd to compare redwoods and a water fall, why not compare Afghanistan to a foot stool?
I find it helpful to do my homework before I post.
Your are right, you should have done your homework first.

"The Grotto is really cool because this is a 20 foot underground waterfall, ..."

Oops one mistake on my part, I meant Ruby Falls.

" Your tour begins with a 260-foot elevator ride (Into the mountain), but the best is yet to come: thrill to the sound of the falls thundering 145 feet down through the mountain "

Rainbow falls is a nice trip as well:

"Between trailhead and falls, Rainbow Falls Trail gains about 1,500' in elevation. The 5.4 mile roundtrip hike is considered moderate to in difficulty. The Rainbow Falls Trail continues for approximately 4 miles beyond the falls to the summit of Mount Le Conte."

Now about that 20' drop you were talking about ...

Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 PM

making warm water a criterium for surfing is not the action of a serious surfer, it is the action of a beach boy. My brother used to surf extensively along a 100 mile section of California coast, he never saw another surfer. And had large Pacific storm waves all to himself, and yes, he wore a wetsuit, his goal was surfing, not beach boy-ing.

Big Sur

Limiting one to warm water is like limiting one to skiing on days when you can wear shorts.

Here is something else one cannot do in Kentucky, or the east, outside of Maine and New Hampshire but is plentiful in California and was my metier for many years;

Always on 3 pins.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 PM

This map clearly shows the states worth living in, for an outdoors person. The red is your public land, you can see that the East, just does not measure up to the West.

Of course if one is an indoors person, the East is just fine.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
making warm water a criterium for surfing is not the action of a serious surfer, it is the action of a beach boy. My brother used to surf extensively along a 100 mile section of California coast, he never saw another surfer. And had large Pacific storm waves all to himself, and yes, he wore a wetsuit, his goal was surfing, not beach boy-ing.
Actaully a fanatical surfer and has surfed all the top spots in Hawaii, Australia and CA. He also was a publisher of a Surf magazine. He just wanted more than CA offered. Personally I body surfed and the Wedge at Newport was enough of a challenge.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
This map clearly shows the states worth living in, for an outdoors person. The red is your public land, you can see that the East, just does not measure up to the West.

Of course if one is an indoors person, the East is just fine.
That looks like NV is the best State then.

CA is great, it simply isn't the be all and end all of where to live. Glad you like it, but I am enjoying seeing more and not having thee stress found in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California