Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:14 PM

24 posts, read 98,976 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I'm sure you get this question all the time, but I've been reading all over the California forum and my head is spinning about where to move.

So, I currently live in Boston and I'm over it. I grew up in the LA area, but don't care to be back there, but want to be close enough to family to visit once in a while but not all the time. In general, I like the east coast for its diversity and intellectualism, but I am so tired of the winters, the cold weather and the often (not all) cold people. I also have a SAD problem, and I can't keep suffering for 4-5 months every year.

Also considerations: I have a dog and cats. I'm active, love the outdoors, but also want to be near culture and an arts community. I don't mind driving or paying a bit more to have the lifestyle I want. Oh, and I'm single and don't want to be, so it would be great to be around people my age: mid 30s.

I've been researching areas of northern Cali, Portland and Seattle, but decided that the PNW is too dark for my SAD tendencies. I read that Santa Cruz was very young and quiet. San Jose very suburban. I'm at a loss! Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 02:05 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
What about Sacramento?

I agree about the PNW as well. Too much gloom and rain up there!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:28 PM

Never thought about Sacramento since I was so focused on being close to the ocean, but of course, that's where you get the fog! I lived in California for 18 years and never visited the capital so I have no reference. How sad is that?!

More research to do....

Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
With SAD you really shouldn't live much north of the 35th parallel. That means central California, not northern. I would consider anything as far north as SLO on the coast and up to Chico inland. There is still a certain amount of winter tule fog in the valley, but the dark season is fairly short.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 PM

THanks for the tip. I didn't realize the north was that wintery. I was thinking that after being in Chicago and on the east coast for 15 years, even northern California would feel like paradise! SLO is San Luis Obispo, right?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereto33 View Post
Hey there,

I'm sure you get this question all the time, but I've been reading all over the California forum and my head is spinning about where to move.

So, I currently live in Boston and I'm over it. I grew up in the LA area, but don't care to be back there, but want to be close enough to family to visit once in a while but not all the time. In general, I like the east coast for its diversity and intellectualism, but I am so tired of the winters, the cold weather and the often (not all) cold people. I also have a SAD problem, and I can't keep suffering for 4-5 months every year.

Also considerations: I have a dog and cats. I'm active, love the outdoors, but also want to be near culture and an arts community. I don't mind driving or paying a bit more to have the lifestyle I want. Oh, and I'm single and don't want to be, so it would be great to be around people my age: mid 30s.

I've been researching areas of northern Cali, Portland and Seattle, but decided that the PNW is too dark for my SAD tendencies. I read that Santa Cruz was very young and quiet. San Jose very suburban. I'm at a loss! Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Where will you be working and how much will you be making? This seems to be the obvious first step in your quest.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 AM

Still job hunting, but I'm making $90k now. I've wanted to move for years, and I'm tired of waiting until "things pick up." So, I'm willing to just take a risk. I know the market is terrible, but it's has been forever and I'm not getting younger!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:28 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Off the top of my head: Monterey, Carmel, Davis, Dublin, Pleasanton.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:02 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereto33 View Post
Still job hunting, but I'm making $90k now. I've wanted to move for years, and I'm tired of waiting until "things pick up." So, I'm willing to just take a risk. I know the market is terrible, but it's has been forever and I'm not getting younger!
Berkeley and Oakland (Rockridge area sounds like it would be great), Palo Alto (depending on budget), Mountain View, and Walnut Creek. San Francisco would be great- but very hard to find pet friendly rentals and the weather can be gray and foggy.

I'm not familiar with SoCal though- so can't help you there. Definitely not Pleasanton/Dublin though(as someone suggested). Really suburban,very conservative, family type place- not artsy, hip, singles or intellectual (It sucked for this San Franciscan). Davis is a nice town though- mostly college types and families though. Santa Cruz might also fit the bill.

Also, the Midtown area of Sacramento is kinda cool.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Berkeley and Oakland (Rockridge area sounds like it would be great), Palo Alto (depending on budget), Mountain View, and Walnut Creek. San Francisco would be great- but very hard to find pet friendly rentals and the weather can be gray and foggy.

I'm not familiar with SoCal though- so can't help you there. Definitely not Pleasanton/Dublin though(as someone suggested). Really suburban,very conservative, family type place- not artsy, hip, singles or intellectual (It sucked for this San Franciscan). Davis is a nice town though- mostly college types and families though. Santa Cruz might also fit the bill.

Also, the Midtown area of Sacramento is kinda cool.

Pleasanton and Dublin are actually decent towns with close proximity to Oakland/San Francisco or San Jose to Monterey. I would suggest to the OP that she at least check them out herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California