Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times

Advertisements

Again this;
Quote:
I'm wary of going to Death Valley in Winter for the exact same reason, except that as you stated, I will be stranded (along with whoever decides to come along with me).
ain't going to happen, as far as I know it has never happened. I am not sure what people are thinking of, but winter in Death Valley is as benign as one could wish for. Today people will fly into the air strip and golf 200 feet below sea level. Spring wild flowers in DV can be good, but they should never be the primary reason for wanting to visit, the flowers depend on the rainfall pattern. Spring also can get the pressure gradient winds, remember the sand storm scene in Hidalgo?

Quote:
Doesn't Kelbaker Road go between Kelso and Baker (or more conveniently for access, between I-15 and I-40) through the Mojave National Preserve? I was thinking that was accessible for any car?
Yes, no problems there, but, the park is huge and that is just one road, to really see the park high clearance and or 4x4 is good. The campground is a long way from Kelso, via either a rough dirt road or a longer way via pavement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Never heard of anyone trapped in Death Valley by winter storms, and I have been in DV when it snowed on the valley floor., actually woke up with snow on my sleeping bag. Nothing on the valley floor will be subject to winter storms.
For example, Saline Valley can become impassable any time of year. In fact I think the northerly route was closed for several months several years ago due to a flash flood wiping out the road. Another example, I wouldn't want to be at Racetrack Lake any time of the year during significant precipitation, due to its remoteness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I'm pretty apprehensive of hitting storms in Joshua Tree, which is why I mentioned the cold to begin with. I mean, I can't imagine it being more than 10 degrees cooler than Northridge on most winter days, which is fine with me.
You need a better imagination! I'm sure it could a whole lot colder at J-Tree and don't forget wind chill, not a whole lot to stop the cold winds out there. I'm always amazed that you could feel so remote in camp and then make a run on the supermarket in less than 20 minutes. It's one of my favorite camping spots... but I've never gone in middle of the winter (nor the middle of summer).

Quote:
I'm wary of going to Death Valley in Winter for the exact same reason, except that as you stated, I will be stranded (along with whoever decides to come along with me). I want to go in spring mostly to catch the desert flora blooming. Problem is that that's when the crowds will be there as well, but considering that the nearest city is 100 miles away, it doesn't worry me as much as going to Joshua Tree at that time.
There are plenty of get-away places off the main roads. I recommend spring before school lets out, fall after school has started, and go on week days to avoid weekend traffic. Death Valley is actually close enough to LA for a day trip (I've done it) although that is a bit hectic.

Quote:
Man, all this talk about the desert...I'm going to watch the meteor shower out near Rosamond tonight, away from the city (and hopefully, away from CA-14 as well). I'm excited! I love it!

I've heard various things about Saddleback Butte SP, but haven't had the opportunity to go yet. Would you recommend it as a day trip for someone coming from the San Fernando Valley?
No problem. I once spent an evening there for some amateur telescope thing, a big comet or something, returned home about midnight.

Quote:
Doesn't Kelbaker Road go between Kelso and Baker (or more conveniently for access, between I-15 and I-40) through the Mojave National Preserve? I was thinking that was accessible for any car?
I'd have to review my Mojave Reserve notes but unfortunately they're packed away for my upcoming move. All I can tell you is that I spent several days there and really enjoyed it. Found solitude almost everywhere. Take good maps!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
For example, Saline Valley can become impassable any time of year. In fact I think the northerly route was closed for several months several years ago due to a flash flood wiping out the road. Another example, I wouldn't want to be at Racetrack Lake any time of the year during significant precipitation, due to its remoteness.
Saline Valley passes are a whole different ballgame than DV, both south and north are high passes on bad roads, there are no passes into DV, and the OP is not going off pavement according to him.

Easy to Kelso and Mitchell Caverns, but much of the park, is bad roads, fun, but not for sedans

Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Saline Valley is part of Death Valley National Park. My comments are directed to anybody interested in our local deserts and are in some cases not directed to the OP but rather to everybody in general.

As far as Mojave National Preserve, most of the preserve's roads are accessible by any high clearance vehicle (except in inclement weather). That of course does not include vehicles like the Honda Civic, but full size sedans and most pickups and vans should have no problem.

I love my 4 wheel drive! I've got the ability to get stuck much farther from the pavement than any of those wimpy low slung sedans!

Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Saline Valley is part of Death Valley National Park. My comments are directed to anybody interested in our local deserts and are in some cases not directed to the OP but rather to everybody in general.
To be a bit more accurate, the land east of the Saline Valley Road, aside from a couple of slop overs is DVNP, to the west it is still BLM. Most first time visitors do not know about it, and stick to Death Valley its self. Now, I could have mentioned to the poster that he should stop at PSR for burgers and beer, and Ballarat to see Rocky and George and Manson's truck, but, I giving him places to visit within the valley itself was plenty, I reckon.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Mitchell Caverns SP

Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
To be a bit more accurate, the land east of the Saline Valley Road, aside from a couple of slop overs is DVNP, to the west it is still BLM. Most first time visitors do not know about it, and stick to Death Valley its self.
Actually I probably shouldn't have revealed the secret of Saline Valley, the hot springs (clothing optional), the place where most people camp, etc., all of it east of the main road. I'm not aware of anything at all west of the road that you do anything other than look at it while you're simmering in one of the springs. It's quite an experience or at least was the last time I was there but that was probably two decades ago.

Wait... I didn't reveal the secret until this post, did I?

Please fill me in if you've been there more recently and if it has changed.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:41 PM

perhaps not mentioning the springs would have been a great idea, what is across the road on "still free" land is spectacular, thankfully even less known.

The lower spring went cold, it is slowly recovering. The Park Service has an onerous presence, part of the whole National Babysitting Service, fortunately the budget cuts have cut into their operations.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:19 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,727 times
Sahara Desert , can you try?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 AM

I may be wrong, but I don't know that the Sahara is within driving distance of SFV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California