Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,349,385 times

Advertisements

Now that I have a bit more time away from Grad School preparations, I have been thinking of doing a bit more exploring of California's desert regions. Lucky for me, I live in the SFV, so that means that desert access is as near as 35 minutes away (at Palmdale, but that part of the Antelope Valley is meh)

I have always wanted to see Joshua Tree National Park, but it might be a bit cold this time of year since it's mostly high desert (I'll still go anyways). Does anyone have any other suggestions on what a good desert getaway would be?

Pictures would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,129,160 times
Palm Springs
Death Valley
Anza Borrego State Park

Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
All the desert parks are great, they differ from each other a bit, which makes for great variety. This time of year, hands down, Death Valley, being what it is, it will be the warmest place you will find. Also, for a first time visitor there are great things to see from paved roads. If you have 4x4, better yet.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
All the desert parks are great, they differ from each other a bit, which makes for great variety. This time of year, hands down, Death Valley, being what it is, it will be the warmest place you will find. Also, for a first time visitor there are great things to see from paved roads. If you have 4x4, better yet.
I was thinking Death Valley would be more of a springtime destination, given that's when a lot of the desert flora really bloom. But I don't know if it would be too hot by then.

I unfortunately don't have a 4x4 (I'm a city slicker ) but have spent a lot of time recently in Southern Nevada and Southern Utah and have developed a newfound appreciation of how much beauty the desert has. Not that I didn't realize it before, but now I'm more determined too see more of California's deserts.

I was thinking Joshua Tree would be cool since that's where the two desert ecosystems meet (Mojave High Desert and Colorado/Sonoran Low Desert). I mean, its probably going to be cold, but not that cold. Any suggestions of things around there?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,129,160 times
Anza Borrego isn't cold this time of year. Usually it's not cold or hot in the winter. Now would be the best time to hike the trails around Borrego Springs and the Imperial Valley.

As far as the beauty of the desert, you are so right. The desert has an underrated beauty. You should check out the Nevada and Arizona forums for the beautiful desert pictures posted in the picture threads. The pictures are great!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,975,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I have always wanted to see Joshua Tree National Park, but it might be a bit cold this time of year since it's mostly high desert (I'll still go anyways).
No, you don't understand, J-Tree is fantastic this time of year, except as you guessed, cold. It's hot as hell during the summer. The best time of the year to catch it is fall, winter and spring, but only if you can time it to avoid winter storms.

Even better, all the people are gone, and that's the best way to see the desert, when there's you and the desert and nothing else, no people, nothing. You could pull into my favorite J-Tree campground right now and I bet there would be perhaps three campsites occupied out of 50 or so. That's far better than pulling in and finding out all campsites are occupied.

Death Valley is great too, but I'd be careful that some areas may be subject to winter storms and you could be isolated and maybe even trapped. I'd save Death Valley for mid-late spring and mid-late fall (but never summer).

I'm a desert rat too. There's nothing better than desolation and solitude and not being overrun by humanity. Bring your camera and/or oil paints or whatever you do to enjoy solitude. (My dog and my colored pencils and pastels suit me.)

Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 PM

194 posts, read 503,116 times
Lancaster/Palmdale area:
California poppy reserve in April/May
Vasquez Rocks (sneak around one of them and way "Hey! Where're all the white women at?")

Barstow Area:
Calico Ghost Town
Ord Mountains
Mojave National Preserve (Kelso Dunes especially!)

Owens Valley:
Alabama Hills
Pretty much anywhere North of Lone Pine, you'll get fabulous Sierra Views from the Desert.

Death Valley NP:
Eureka DunesBadwater Basin
Furnace Creek

Palm Springs Area:
Indian Canyon (great in winter!)
Joshua Tree NP
Mecca Hills

Anza-Borrego:
Palm Canyon

Old 12-14-2010, 09:44 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
Quote:
Death Valley is great too, but I'd be careful that some areas may be subject to winter storms and you could be isolated and maybe even trapped. I'd save Death Valley for mid-late spring and mid-late fall (but never summer).
Never heard of anyone trapped in Death Valley by winter storms, and I have been in DV when it snowed on the valley floor., actually woke up with snow on my sleeping bag. Nothing on the valley floor will be subject to winter storms. You will get snow up high in the Panamints, but don't go up there and you won't get snow. Go to Scotty's Castle, Ubehebe Crater, the dunes, Marble Canyon, the borax works, the visitor center, It has a decent book store, Visit Furnace Creek Inn, drive Artists Palette, visit Badwater, DV is a great place to be in mid winter.

JTree is great, but, can be cold, the desert boundary is visible, the over look looking down on Cochella Valley is dramatic, but for us, unless one is rock climbing, we were done with JTree in two days, I have been going to Death Valley frequently for 25 years, and still haven't seen everything.

Anza Borrego is scenic, and has great hiking, I have not been there in 40 years, so can't recommend much.

Mojave National Preserve is wide open, without high clearance or 4x4 you are a bit limited, although lunch in Kelso alone is nearly worth the trip.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Anza Borrego isn't cold this time of year. Usually it's not cold or hot in the winter. Now would be the best time to hike the trails around Borrego Springs and the Imperial Valley.
Hmm, that may not be a bad idea. Since its also within striking distance of the Salton Sea (which I've never seen before), and its in the low desert, I may add that to my "must see during Winter" list before the spring crowds. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
No, you don't understand, J-Tree is fantastic this time of year, except as you guessed, cold. It's hot as hell during the summer. The best time of the year to catch it is fall, winter and spring, but only if you can time it to avoid winter storms.

Even better, all the people are gone, and that's the best way to see the desert, when there's you and the desert and nothing else, no people, nothing. You could pull into my favorite J-Tree campground right now and I bet there would be perhaps three campsites occupied out of 50 or so. That's far better than pulling in and finding out all campsites are occupied.

I'm a desert rat too. There's nothing better than desolation and solitude and not being overrun by humanity. Bring your camera and/or oil paints or whatever you do to enjoy solitude. (My dog and my colored pencils and pastels suit me.)
I'm pretty apprehensive of hitting storms in Joshua Tree, which is why I mentioned the cold to begin with. I mean, I can't imagine it being more than 10 degrees cooler than Northridge on most winter days, which is fine with me.

I'm wary of going to Death Valley in Winter for the exact same reason, except that as you stated, I will be stranded (along with whoever decides to come along with me). I want to go in spring mostly to catch the desert flora blooming. Problem is that that's when the crowds will be there as well, but considering that the nearest city is 100 miles away, it doesn't worry me as much as going to Joshua Tree at that time.

Man, all this talk about the desert...I'm going to watch the meteor shower out near Rosamond tonight, away from the city (and hopefully, away from CA-14 as well). I'm excited! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingLenticular View Post
Lancaster/Palmdale area:
California poppy reserve in April/May
Vasquez Rocks (sneak around one of them and way "Hey! Where're all the white women at?")
Haha, I've went to Vasquez Rocks in late spring with my cousin, and it was awesome! Considering that most residents of the Antelope Valley aren't White, that would be a funny thing to say.

I've heard various things about Saddleback Butte SP, but haven't had the opportunity to go yet. Would you recommend it as a day trip for someone coming from the San Fernando Valley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Mojave National Preserve is wide open, without high clearance or 4x4 you are a bit limited, although lunch in Kelso alone is nearly worth the trip.
Doesn't Kelbaker Road go between Kelso and Baker (or more conveniently for access, between I-15 and I-40) through the Mojave National Preserve? I was thinking that was accessible for any car?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 AM

3,552 posts, read 4,363,360 times
I visited Death Valley during the month of January in 2008. My dad and I stayed at Stovepipe Wells which we enjoyed very much. We limited ourselves to nothing more than sightseeing given his age. In all, we enjoyed our visit very much as we toured Scotty's Castle, Ubehebe Crater, Badwater, and other sites. We ventured into Beatty Nevada and on the way stopped at a ghost town. As others have mentioned, nothing like the desolation and solitude found in the desert. It's so quiet at night to the point of being deafning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California