Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 PM

215 posts, read 566,473 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Posted earlier thread about how we are wanting to buy a campground or cabin business.
Searching countrywide but keep coming back to Monterey/Carmel/Santa Cruz/Felton areas. I've spent time throughout my childhood in these areas and a brief visit as an adult. Really love them but can't find a suitable business to buy here. There's a campground in Carmel Valley great location for sale but it's being sold off as 'development land' far too much land and cost than we'd need. Other than that can't find any others in these areas, most seem to be N. California or inland.
Are there other areas that would compare? We want open minded people, good schools, good weather (not really hot or really rainy or really long winter!), nature, not too isolated....
Or what would the reality be of finding land to buy and gaining permission to build a campground or cabins?
Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 05:56 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,708,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post
Hi,
Posted earlier thread about how we are wanting to buy a campground or cabin business.
Searching countrywide but keep coming back to Monterey/Carmel/Santa Cruz/Felton areas. I've spent time throughout my childhood in these areas and a brief visit as an adult. Really love them but can't find a suitable business to buy here. There's a campground in Carmel Valley great location for sale but it's being sold off as 'development land' far too much land and cost than we'd need. Other than that can't find any others in these areas, most seem to be N. California or inland.
Are there other areas that would compare? We want open minded people, good schools, good weather (not really hot or really rainy or really long winter!), nature, not too isolated....
Or what would the reality be of finding land to buy and gaining permission to build a campground or cabins?
Thanks..
I would say Monterrey. Give a look at Lake San Anatonio.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 PM

17,609 posts, read 22,522,470 times
Howdy Jukes,

Perhaps take a ride over to the Arroyo Seco area(not far from Greenfield). You might find some land there that inspires you. When i was a teen we started camping, fishing, exploring around spots like Millers Lodge, Fred's Camp, Government Camp, The Gorge, Indians Camp, etc. We had many Happy times & have sweet memories from this area.

Best of Luck to you in your search Bro.

p.s., If you follow Carmel Valley Road it ends up by Arroyo Seco. I used to ride my 1967 BSA 650 Lightning out that way.

The road past 'The Gorge' goes by Fort Hunter Liggett & over to Lake San Antonio, & Naciemiento Lake.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:14 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,506,574 times
Be aware many lands available may have "slow growth limits" requiring you to own 5 years before permits can be bought.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Howdy Jukes,

Perhaps take a ride over to the Arroyo Seco area(not far from Greenfield). You might find some land there that inspires you. When i was a teen we started camping, fishing, exploring around spots like Millers Lodge, Fred's Camp, Government Camp, The Gorge, Indians Camp, etc. We had many Happy times & have sweet memories from this area.

Best of Luck to you in your search Bro.

p.s., If you follow Carmel Valley Road it ends up by Arroyo Seco. I used to ride my 1967 BSA 650 Lightning out that way.

The road past 'The Gorge' goes by Fort Hunter Liggett & over to Lake San Antonio, & Naciemiento Lake.
Thanks for the reply, by the way I'm not a bro, more a 'sis'!!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Be aware many lands available may have "slow growth limits" requiring you to own 5 years before permits can be bought.
Is there an easier way to find land with permission, or with good chance of gaining permission to build cabins and/or campground on? Or does it involve trawling through hundreds of land listings and then contacting planning depts of county?
Thanks

Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM

8,176 posts, read 16,573,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post
Is there an easier way to find land with permission, or with good chance of gaining permission to build cabins and/or campground on? Or does it involve trawling through hundreds of land listings and then contacting planning depts of county?
Thanks
I think this is going to take a lot of leg work to get the kind of detailed information that you need in terms of water rights, permission to build, etc... There are parcels of land even within the cities of Monterey and Pacfic Grove for sale, but which have no water rights to build on. So they just sit there. Water is a precious resource. Then there are the building permits needed, zoning regulations, etc... which all must be taken into consideration and navigated.

Your best bet would be to find some local professionals who know the lands, the cities planning departments, the history, local bureaucracies/politics, etc... Otherwise you could spin your wheels for quite some time on something that someone with local knowledge of the system could answer in a much shorter timeframe. I'm thinking of a local developer. I know a few developers in the area, one who lives in Carmel Valley. Those are the kinds of folks who I would go to to get answers to questions like these if you are serious about pursuing this.

Derek

Old 12-23-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks Derek,
We are serious, but would prefer to buy a ready made RV campground, cabin business. Buying land to build one is more a way to have this if no other way, but I do know it could be very difficult. We want to be self sufficient and create our own income and are struggling to think of other ways, we enjoy the RV Campground atmosphere and have the skills for this, rather than say running a restaurant. We don't want to scratch about for work and have no time to spend with our children, in England we get 6 weeks off a year and flexi hours, yet we want to escape this but not if it means losing time with family.
There is a campground for sale in Carmel Valley that would be a great location, however it is being sold as 100 acres and 8 parcels of land, so the price reflects the land value rather than business income. Therefore it is on for $2 million, which is way over what the campground would be able to pay off even with a deposit of 25%.
Other than that the next nearest for sale seems to be in Lake County, hours away which seems to have a dubious reputation.
I know Monterey and Santa Cruz areas are going to be harder to obtain than other parts of the country. However these areas mean a lot and 'feel' right as I spent much of my childhood visiting family there and have been brought up by parents who have always related to this part of the world more than any other. I visited as an adult last year with my own children and felt very comfortable there, even though it changed a lot, no more Ford Ord Army base, now sand dunes we were able to walk through!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:20 PM

8,176 posts, read 16,573,566 times
Yeah,

I can tell you that something like a campground in the Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove area would be great! I think there is definately a need for that here. Especially when you consider all the special events we have throughout the year and the number of tourists who flock to the area. I don't think you would be lacking any business. It would in a way be the only game in town, especially in Carmel Valley.

But yes finding and securing the land would be the toughest obstacle and most likely why we don't have more camping options. And for the sellers of the one you metioned they stand to gain a lot more financially by selling vs. maintaining it unfortunately.

There are a few more business areas you may want to consider at least for Carmel Valley and the Monterey Pennisula. The Valley is really known for vineyards and also ranching. Although those are specialty areas which you may or may not have interest in. Another thing to consider are storage units which are really big here in the states. And with active military still in the area there are a lot people coming and going who might need to store their belongings. A friend of mine has a number of these storage units throughout the US and does quite with well with this business. These are just a few ideas as some food for thought.

Derek

Old 12-24-2010, 03:57 AM

Thanks for ideas. From our own experience a campground that can handle larger RVs would be needed in the area as there is one Marina Dunes (with road noise) and that seems to be about it, the others in Big Sur and Carmel Valley are not good for larger RVs (which are a growing trend). I will also look into your other ideas although I don't have a ranching background as I grew up in London! To be honest I'd like to move to the area and then try to work something out, am trying to convince husband on this one as he wants a campground but not to move without having one set up. Also we have our children and don't want to move them around too much.He works in construction so would consider building one, or cabins. I think Carmel area has less cheaper options for nice accommodation so perhaps nice cabins, yurts or something would be a good alternative to the fancy resorts/hotels...
It would be good to speak with a local expert regarding this type of land development so if you do know someone I could speak with about the reality of this that would be great. There are businesses like this in other areas but I keep coming back to Monterey area!!
Many thanks and Merry Christmas!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California