Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,481 times

Advertisements

My husband finally convinced me to move to California. He is from LA and dont want to go back, but a different part of California. We have 3 small children. I have NEVER left the South(Mississippi) but I am open for a new scene. We are used to multiculture, that wont be a problem on our end but would like to be where it is mutual as well. I am a CNA and a student (Pre-Med) he drive Trucks. With our income combined, where would be a cool spot to live and raise our children without so much chaos. I know everywhere isnt perfect and knuckleheads act out from time to time but I cant deal with that consistantly. As for the rent for apartment or a house, please give me an estimate if possible. It would be very helpful to me, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 06:41 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Google "San Luis Obispo." City and County. I raised 3 children there and I cant think of a better place to raise a family. But I dont think there is a med school any where near there. Good luck young lady.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 AM

607 posts, read 2,368,580 times
need more info as the state is varied in topography and has all sorts of different geography. Ocean, desert, mountains, plains, population expectations, political swings, weather, price ranges are just a few factors to consider. The more info the better responses you will get.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Rocklin, Folsom, Granite Bay.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
The smaller Mother Lode counties (or "Gold Country" as its also know). Mariposa, Tuolumne, Calaveras, Nevada and possibly Amador (El Dorado and Placer are getting very developed). Rural, pretty, historic and safe.

Counties:

Mariposa County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tuolumne County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Calaveras County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amador County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nevada County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Towns (There's even a "Jackson" for you ):

Mariposa, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sonora, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Angels Camp, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jackson, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Grass Valley, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nevada City, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
San Andreas, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are four distinct seasons, but save for the very high elevation areas it not particularly cold (most get a light snow a couple times each winter - melts right off). Summers are cooler by about 5-10 degrees from the Central Valley and no winter "Tule Fog". There is very low humidity so you'll probably appreciate that! Hunting/fishing/hiking opportunities too - probably much like the rural South in that regard. There's also a pretty large retiree community in these areas so as a CNA you'd probably have an easy time with work.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Alturas

Old 12-23-2010, 04:05 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne31 View Post
My husband finally convinced me to move to California. He is from LA and dont want to go back, but a different part of California. We have 3 small children. I have NEVER left the South(Mississippi) but I am open for a new scene. We are used to multiculture, that wont be a problem on our end but would like to be where it is mutual as well. I am a CNA and a student (Pre-Med) he drive Trucks. With our income combined, where would be a cool spot to live and raise our children without so much chaos. I know everywhere isnt perfect and knuckleheads act out from time to time but I cant deal with that consistantly. As for the rent for apartment or a house, please give me an estimate if possible. It would be very helpful to me, thanks.
To be honest, every city has good and bad areas. The only difference is in some cities the people from the bad areas pass through the good areas if you know what I mean.

California is huge, so just picking safe cities would be a waste of time because I know it wouldn't make a difference in your decision process. The best advice I can give you from what you've said is fly to San Francisco and drive around the Bay Area, then continue down HWY 101 to Los Angeles visiting the cities in between. Drive around Orange County and then San Diego.

If you could tell us your what you want in an area, it would help lol. Big cities, Small cities, hot weather, cold weather, forest, desert, beach, mountains, etc.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:33 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
To be honest, every city has good and bad areas. The only difference is in some cities the people from the bad areas pass through the good areas if you know what I mean.

California is huge, so just picking safe cities would be a waste of time because I know it wouldn't make a difference in your decision process. The best advice I can give you from what you've said is fly to San Francisco and drive around the Bay Area, then continue down HWY 101 to Los Angeles visiting the cities in between. Drive around Orange County and then San Diego.

If you could tell us your what you want in an area, it would help lol. Big cities, Small cities, hot weather, cold weather, forest, desert, beach, mountains, etc.
Agreed, this is definately true even in LA County. We used to live in the South Bay Beach Cities (Hermosa, Manhattan, Torrance, Palos Verdes, etc...)and that area is very safe overall with great schools, nice neighborhoods, beautiful beaches, etc...

But that being said we prefer to be away from the SoCal crowds and really like the Central Coast more now for raising our family. However everyone has their own preferences. So much depends on your interests, where you plan to go to Med School, work, etc...? Is that going to be a priority in your future? If so I would look at that first to start narrowing things down a bit.

Remember that CA is a huge state. So work on refining your requirements. What is it that you really want/need? Then you can start targeting certain parts which satisfy those more.

Derek

Old 12-24-2010, 05:39 AM

11 posts, read 19,484 times
Firstly contact to that person who is living over there. As per my knowledge this is no school near around that area.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne31 View Post
He is from LA and dont want to go back,
We have 3 small children.
I am a CNA and a student (Pre-Med)
he drive Trucks.
With our income combined,
a cool spot to live and raise our children without so much chaos.
please give me an estimate if possible.
i'd live somewhere with lots of support ,- maybe stay home near your folks, three kids, truck driver, pre med.....you're going to need it.

what is your housing budget?
how far along are you in college? when will you graduate with a bs?
what does "cool" mean?

you haven't given us much to work with so you will get useless responses spray painted all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California