Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,535,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Definitely South Florida!! Weston (which is in Broward County) is one of the BEST cities and communities in the whole of the U.S.A. You gotta come down to Florida and see this place for yourself. It's the closest thing to a paradise that I could think of for Florida. It's a planned community so it's extremely safe and extremely walkable all over! I could honestly argue it's the best city in Florida. It's most certainly the greenest! Air quality is 100%. But that's typical for Florida. Our air has pretty much always been clean. Blue wide-open skies. Beautiful palm trees. People pay out the wazoo for landscaping here so almost everywhere in South Florida is landscaped. Weston especially! It's just beautiful. You need to come here.

For people commenting about the three H's. Heat, humidity, and hurricanes?! Oh please! Let me break this down for you!

1. Heat - Our heat is NOTHING compared to the desert of California's! The heat in Florida is a good heat! It doesn't freakin sting when you put your hand out in the sunlight! Further out west you go into the United States like Texas (where I am now), in the summer, try putting your hand out in the sunlight and it will burn like crazy!! I can't imagine even further out west what it's like in California! Remember that we have coastal winds from the Atlantic ocean and the Gulf to come inland and cool you off! And the heat from the sun warms the water!! California's oceans are infamously cold!!

2. Humidity - Alot of people seem to think that they couldn't put up with the humidity in FL. Well, humidity is rather good for your skin! Most people in FL have excellent skin condition because of this. Humidity keeps the skin moisturized and healthy. Compared to the dry heat of California. I'm african-american and being born and raised in FL, I can attest to the fact that I have RARELY seen other african-americans with pimples or blemishes of any kind. Compared to african-americans from California I seen in pictures and reality television have severely damaged skin! Sun spots all over! And I have seen this in Texas as well! The dry heat is clearly responsible for this phenomenon. That would have never happened in Florida! In addition to the humidity keeping your skin smooth and moisturized, we have tons of lotion and soap imports from the Caribbean and asia! So you will never not find the type suitable for your skin!

3. Hurricanes- Oh please. I was born and raised here and been through many hurricanes! You have a higher chance of being killed in an earthquake in California than being killed by a hurricane. I mean really, the pattern in Florida for this is so typical we barely pay it any attention. Hurricane season comes in, if we get a hurricane alert, we board up the house, and get back in and ride it out. After it's over, it's over and life goes back to normal. It's really nothing to be afraid about. I would be way more afraid of the earth moving under my feet, moving my house and furniture, and destroying my valuables against my will. Hurricanes are really nice to go through. If you like dark and gloomy weather with thunderstorms and high winds, hurricanes are incredible events to witness. During hurricane season, you will save more money in Florida than California because you don't need to use air conditioning and so much electricity. You can spend time just enjoying the high winds and overcast skies. It's really beautiful. Some crazy kids even go to the beach to surf!
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you write it sounds like you have never visited California.

If you want people to take your argument seriously, never use the following in a sentence: "From what I've seen on reality TV..."

And P.S., far more people have died in hurricanes than earthquakes in the US. Since 1995, only 2 people have died from an earthquake in the US.

Deaths from U.S. Earthquakes

In that same period of time, 2,388 people died from hurricanes in the US.

U.S. Hurricanes — FactMonster.com

This does not even count all the people struck and killed by lightning while playing golf in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM

7,716 posts, read 12,596,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you write it sounds like you have never visited California.
Nope! And I don't care either!

Quote:
If you want people to take your argument seriously, never use the following in a sentence: "From what I've seen on reality TV..."
I honestly don't care whether you or anyone else takes my argument seriously. I've seen enough pictures to know the difference between someone who's spent way too much in the desert compared to one in MY humid state of FL. Not to mention the fact that I already mentioned I lived in Texas where the climate of California is similar to the one in Texas and harsh on African-American skin condition. So if you go out west where there's even MORE desert, and MORE dry heat, who needs to go there to actually eye-witness it when I can see it perfectly clear in HD from where I'm sitting?

Quote:
And P.S., far more people have died in hurricanes than earthquakes in the US. Since 1995, only 2 people have died from an earthquake in the US.

Deaths from U.S. Earthquakes
That's complete garbage. It's funny how you conveniently decided to put "Since 1995..." when according to the same website, earthquakes in the U.S. were being tracked since 1811. What? Human lives lost to earthquakes before 1995 just don't count for you? I added up all the numbers of the deaths in the United States from this same website and there have been approx. 4032 deaths from earthquakes in the U.S. compared to..

Quote:
In that same period of time, 2,388 people died from hurricanes in the US.

U.S. Hurricanes — FactMonster.com

This does not even count all the people struck and killed by lightning while playing golf in Florida.
Struck by lightening playing golf in Florida?! Woooow. No words for that.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Nope! And I don't care either!

I honestly don't care whether you or anyone else takes my argument seriously. I've seen enough pictures to know the difference between someone who's spent way too much in the desert compared to one in MY humid state of FL. Not to mention the fact that I already mentioned I lived in Texas where the climate of California is similar to the one in Texas and harsh on African-American skin condition. So if you go out west where there's even MORE desert, and MORE dry heat, who needs to go there to actually eye-witness it when I can see it perfectly clear in HD from where I'm sitting?

That's complete garbage. It's funny how you conveniently decided to put "Since 1995..." when according to the same website, earthquakes in the U.S. were being tracked since 1811. What? Human lives lost to earthquakes before 1995 just don't count for you? I added up all the numbers of the deaths in the United States from this same website and there have been approx. 4032 deaths from earthquakes in the U.S. compared to..

Struck by lightening playing golf in Florida?! Woooow. No words for that.
A) Texas is WAY more like Florida than it is like California. It's on the Gulf, like Florida. I lived in Central Texas for four years. I know this.

B) I picked 1995. You can pick whatever time period you want. It does not change this fact: FAR MORE PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM HURRICANES THAN EARTHQUAKES IN THE US.

C) It is ridiculous that you have never even BEEN to California and you are making a suggestion on where to live. ESPECIALLY since you are touting the weather, which has been said by multiple people, is absolutely terrible, especially in the Summer. Since I had to flee South Beach in 1998 because of Hurricane Georges, I concur with that sentiment.

Do reasearch on weather, climate, and maybe even visit the state you are talking about.

Informed opinions are better and more relevant than uninformed ones.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
A) Texas is WAY more like Florida than it is like California. It's on the Gulf, like Florida. I lived in Central Texas for four years. I know this.
I lived in Texas for FIVE and I know that Texas weather is much MORE similar to California's than Florida's. Considering the fact that I was born and raised in Florida and has lived practically EVERYWHERE IN FLORIDA to confirm this!! Including the gulf!! It is nothing like it!!

Quote:
B) I picked 1995. You can pick whatever time period you want. It does not change this fact: FAR MORE PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM HURRICANES THAN EARTHQUAKES IN THE US.
THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE WHEN I CLEARLY PROVED YOU WRONG AND PROVIDED THE EVIDENCE AND HARD FACTS THAT YOU WERE WRONG!! You are clearly someone who is in denial and I cannot help your ignorance.

Quote:
C) It is ridiculous that you have never even BEEN to California and you are making a suggestion on where to live. ESPECIALLY since you are touting the weather, which has been said by multiple people, is absolutely terrible, especially in the Summer. Since I had to flee South Beach in 1998 because of Hurricane Georges, I concur with that sentiment.
What's ridiculous is your logic and blanket statements!! The question is called California VS South Florida. I WAS RAISED IN SOUTH FLORIDA FOR CRIPES SAKE. This means I CAN and WILL make a suggestion whenever the place I was RAISED in is called into question anywhere on this forum!!! I can give my opinion because not only is this a free country but that is my state and the place I know WAAAAY better than anyone else about and my RESPONSIBILITY as a NATIVE FLORIDIAN to give her the true facts instead of warped and unsubstantiated misinformation from people such as yourself!!

Quote:
Do reasearch on weather, climate, and maybe even visit the state you are talking about.

Informed opinions are better and more relevant than uninformed ones.
Even though I proved you wrong about basically EVERYTHING with your own provided links your still trying to make yourself out to be right when you are the farthest thing from it. That's pure ignorance and denial. Keep your head in the sand!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I lived in Texas for FIVE and I know that Texas weather is much MORE similar to California's than Florida's. Considering the fact that I was born and raised in Florida and has lived practically EVERYWHERE IN FLORIDA to confirm this!! Including the gulf!! It is nothing like it!!

THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE WHEN I CLEARLY PROVED YOU WRONG AND PROVIDED THE EVIDENCE AND HARD FACTS THAT YOU WERE WRONG!! You are just someone who is in denial and I cannot help your ignorance!!

What's ridiculous is your logic and blanket statements!! The question is called California VS South Florida. I WAS RAISED IN SOUTH FLORIDA FOR CRIPES SAKE. This means I CAN and WILL make a suggestion whenever the place I was RAISED in is called into question anywhere on this forum!!! I can give my opinion because not only is this a free country but that is my state and the place I know WAAAAY better than anyone else about and my RESPONSIBILITY as a NATIVE FLORIDIAN to give her the true facts instead of warped and unsubstantiated misinformation from people such as yourself!!

Even though I proved you wrong about basically EVERYTHING with your own provided links your still trying to make yourself out to be right when you are the farthest thing from it. That's pure ignorance! Keep your head in the sand!
Which "California" weather is Texas most similar to? The Alpine Sierra weather? The temperate rainforest NW CA coastal weather? The Mediterranean Southern California coastal climate? The desert weather of SE California? You've NEVER been here but insist California has ONE type of weather.

So which is it?

BY THE WAY, if you add up all the deaths in the links I provided, here is your total:
Hurricanes have killed have killed 20,192 people.
Earthquakes have killed 4,032 people, as you said.

So, 5 times as many people have died from hurricanes as earthquakes, and yet you state: "You have a higher chance of being killed in an earthquake in California than being killed by a hurricane."

Complete BS. Made up by someone with no knowledge of earthquakes, weather, or California in general.

Congrats, the trifecta.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM

By the way, here is how different the Texas climate is from the Florida climate:

Notice how no part of Texas (or Florida) has the same climate as California.... And yet much of Florida and Texas are the same.

Hmmmmm....

Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
By the way, here is how different the Texas climate is from the Florida climate:

Notice how no part of Texas (or Florida) has the same climate as California.... And yet much of Florida and Texas are the same.

Hmmmmm....
Notice how West Texas climate is the EXACT SAME AS THE NW PACIFIC WHICH YOU CLAIM WASN'T!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by allenk893; 04-11-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:

BY THE WAY, if you add up all the deaths in the links I provided, here is your total:
Hurricanes have killed have killed 20,192 people.
Earthquakes have killed 4,032 people, as you said.

So, 5 times as many people have died from hurricanes as earthquakes, and yet you state: "You have a higher chance of being killed in an earthquake in California than being killed by a hurricane."

Complete BS. Made up by someone with no knowledge of earthquakes, weather, or California in general.

Congrats, the trifecta.
HOLD UP!!!!!!!! CAUGHT YOU RED HANDED!!! LIAR AND FRAUD!!!!!!!!!!!! HALF OF THOSE HURRICANES DIDN'T EVEN TAKE PLACE IN FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE CLEARLY DIFFRENT CITIES AND STATES!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a liar trying to prove something you have no freaking knowledge of or education on hurricanes and Florida in general!!!! I caught you in your own lie!! OH BUT I'M BS-ING, I DON'T HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE?!! CLEARLY YOU DON'T BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T EVEN READ YOUR OWN LINKS!!! YOUR ADDED ALL THE HURRICANE NUMBER DEATHS TOGETHER WHEN HALF OF THEM NEVER TOOK PLACE IN FLORIDA AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed how some of the links have nothing to do with hurricanes or Florida at all but how many people were injured, flash floods, and different cities and states!!!! WTH kind of fraud tries to conjure up lies and add up false numbers together to try to win an argument?!! Complete and utter BS!! And that's why you were caught!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ADDED UP ALL THE HURRICANE DEATHS THAT ACTUALLY TOOK PLACE IN FLORIDA AND THE NUMBER IS 2,723 COMPARED TO 4,032 EARTHQUAKE DEATHS!!!!!!! YOU ARE STILL WRONG!!!!!!!!

Last edited by allenk893; 04-11-2011 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 PM

152 posts, read 334,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
In my opinion California has it all,but if you want warmer water during the summer to go swimming in then it's Florida.
This is a absolute fact, and not much compares to jumping off a boat in to warm clean water, that really is off all of the South Florida coast, or swimming off the beach year round, except, skiing in Tahoe! Really Weston is a great planned town, but it is so full of bugs you must have a screened in pool to enjoy it. They are both full of outdoor treats, California beauty, is incomparable. But for sure Florida has clean air in most all areas. California has few areas with jobs and affordable housing with clean air. Florida is full of affordable housing and clean air.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
HOLD UP!!!!!!!! CAUGHT YOU RED HANDED!!! LIAR AND FRAUD!!!!!!!!!!!! HALF OF THOSE HURRICANES DIDN'T EVEN TAKE PLACE IN FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE CLEARLY DIFFRENT CITIES AND STATES!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a liar trying to prove something you have no freaking knowledge of or education on hurricanes and Florida in general!!!! I caught you in your own lie!! OH BUT I'M BS-ING, I DON'T HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE?!! CLEARLY YOU DON'T BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T EVEN READ YOUR OWN LINKS!!! YOUR ADDED ALL THE HURRICANE NUMBER DEATHS TOGETHER WHEN HALF OF THEM NEVER TOOK PLACE IN FLORIDA AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed how some of the links have nothing to do with hurricanes or Florida at all but how many people were injured, flash floods, and different cities and states!!!! WTH kind of fraud tries to conjure up lies and add up false numbers together to try to win an argument?!! Complete and utter BS!! And that's why you were caught!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ADDED UP ALL THE HURRICANE DEATHS THAT ACTUALLY TOOK PLACE IN FLORIDA AND THE NUMBER IS 2,723 COMPARED TO 4,032 EARTHQUAKE DEATHS!!!!!!!
Do I need to remind you of what you said?

You said:
"You have a higher chance of being killed in an earthquake in California than being killed by a hurricane."

So, I was quoting the hurricane deaths for the US.

You realize that 556 of the 4,032 deaths that was quoted occurred outside of California, right?

But, to be fair, you are correct in that more people died in earthquakes in California than died in hurricanes in Florida.

And, you are still horribly misinformed when it comes to weather, climate, etc.

But maybe if you tune in to your reality TV shows, it will provide further examples of how California's climate is just SO similar to Texas' climate.

Maybe you can get out of your barcalounger and explore the western part of the US in 2011. It may open your eyes.

(As stated previously, I have lived in Texas, and visited Florida numerous times, including Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and all the locations between Orlando and Miami.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California