Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM

210 posts, read 744,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
LOL...This is like saying the USA has Extreme Heat,Way Overpopulated,Traffic Woes Every Day,Crime.

California is a Huge State,so the Climate,Population Density,Traffic and Crime Rates varies from one location to another.
What?? Are you not realizing what you are typing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 06:53 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,571 times
LOL, my last two houses here in GB we never locked the front door. I could leave the garage door open all day and night and nothing would be touched.
There are areas that are safe and no one in the area touches your property.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:59 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsayutah View Post
Hi! We will be relocating to california in sept., my husband is going to DLI for 63 weeks. We have been looking at living on base. Weve received some info off of the website, but there arent many pictures, we will be in La Mesa Cliffs..Does anyone know anything about this area, are they nice? We want to be close to DLI, and something that fits with our BHA..
To answer your question if its La Mesa- (the "Cliffs" Not so sure?) The area is close to the Monterey Airport off of highway 68. Now thats a nice area, sunny, a lot more as you are more inland in that specific area.
Typically military hosuing in La Mesa was way out dated but i had heard sometime back they renovated a lot of those houses. But its probably with a little traffic 10 mins to the DLI.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
Everybody calm down. 9 posts removed, infractions issued. If the offtopic continues, thread will be closed and more serious infractions will be issued.
Yac.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,261 times
Default Monterey

I lived in the Monterey bay area from 1982--1989. I was in the military stationed in Ft Ord but I drove up to DLI on occassion. DLI is located on top of a hill overlooking Monterey so it's nice up there. If you're expecting a big-city California scene or a beach town, this is not it. But it is beautiful. So beautiful I couldn't afford to stay. Lots of pine trees and hills and the coast is nearby. The water is cold for swimming though.
It's near the coast so it's foggy on most days. In fact, this was the main thing that bothered me when I lived there. San Francisco is about an hour drive up north via 101, or you can take the coastal route (rte 1)and you'll end up by the golden gate park. Pacific Grove and Monterey borders DLI, these are picturesque areas so the homes are expensive. There's a lot of very good restaurants everywhere so if you like eating out and drinking fine CA chardonnay, you've come to the right place. If you like seafood try the cioppino at Rappa's at the fisherman's wharf. There's vineyards eastward to Carmel Valley for a nice visit.
The Monterey bay area is a tourist destination so lots of hotels and tourists running around. Just south of Monterey is Carmel, a quaint little town with narrow streets. Then there's Pebble Beach with all the golf courses. You have to pay an entrance fee to drive inside this area. There's some shopping malls but the big ones are by San Jose which is about a 45 min drive north.
Santa Cruz is a short drive north on route 101. They have UC Santa Cruz and a boardwalk with entertainment so it's a crowd most days. I didn't experience bad traffic when I lived there. But if you drive north to SF on route 101 from Monterey, you'll find it from San Jose all the way up. Most military families are adaptable and have a never-unpack approach to a new place, so you'll be fine. Warning, Salinas valley stinks of rotting produce after a harvest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California