Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 11:34 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,163,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you want to have fun interpreting lyrics, try anything by Yes, especially Close To The Edge.
Yes = talented musicians who can't write lyrics so they made up a bunch of new age-y mystical sounding stuff that rhymes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 04:34 PM

19,205 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The Eagles are gearing up for their "Hotel California" 2020 tour, and will be in L.A. in April.
It's good to see they didn't quit after Glen died, although it's not quite the same. Glen's son, Deacon, plays with them now. He's very good and resembles his dad. It's bittersweet but still pretty cool. Who'd a thought Vince Gill would end up becoming an "Eagle," though? lol

Old 10-09-2019, 07:31 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascodagama View Post
colitas is "bud" aka "pot" aka "smoke" aka "marajuana" ...
Yes, this was confirmed by their agent.

Cola (tail in Spanish), and specifically the diminutive 'colita' is how girls put their hair in a tail. A rolled joint was colloquially referred to as this.

[Yeah, I know I'm replying to an old post, but still relevant.]

Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It's good to see they didn't quit after Glen died, although it's not quite the same. Glen's son, Deacon, plays with them now. He's very good and resembles his dad. It's bittersweet but still pretty cool. Who'd a thought Vince Gill would end up becoming an "Eagle," though? lol
I didn't know this! I absolutely adore Vince Gill. Maybe my favorite male singer of all time. Loved him in Pure Prairie League, actually met him in Nashville in an elevator - he's a tall guy and a really nice person. Such a beautiful voice.

As to Hotel California - I just thought it was a fictional story and nothing deeper than that.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I didn't know this! I absolutely adore Vince Gill. Maybe my favorite male singer of all time. Loved him in Pure Prairie League, actually met him in Nashville in an elevator - he's a tall guy and a really nice person. Such a beautiful voice.

As to Hotel California - I just thought it was a fictional story and nothing deeper than that.
I like Vince, too. He's doing pretty well with the band. He always struck me as a nice guy. I know there was that scandal in the late 90's when he and his wife divorced amid rumors of an affair with his now wife Amy. Still, he went on to have a pretty good career. Not sure how he came to be a member of the "new" Eagles but I know that Joe, Don and Timothy B Schmidt are happy to have him touring with them. Like I said before, it's bittersweet but it's still fun to watch them perform.

You're right about the song. It was their interpretation of materialism in our society. Nothing spooky or having anything to do with any cult.

Last edited by JGC97; 10-09-2019 at 11:41 PM..

Old 10-10-2019, 11:01 AM

430 posts, read 283,519 times
Quote:
I like Vince, too. He's doing pretty well with the band. He always struck me as a nice guy. I know there was that scandal in the late 90's when he and his wife divorced amid rumors of an affair with his now wife Amy. Still, he went on to have a pretty good career. Not sure how he came to be a member of the "new" Eagles but I know that Joe, Don and Timothy B Schmidt are happy to have him touring with them. Like I said before, it's bittersweet but it's still fun to watch them perform.

You're right about the song. It was their interpretation of materialism in our society. Nothing spooky or having anything to do with any cult.
Vince Gill seems an ideal addition to me. He can match or exceed Don Felder's guitar (or just about anyone else's) and his vocal accompaniment only strengthens their classic 5-part harmony. I can remember when people questioned the addition of Joe Walsh...that worked out pretty well too. I just hope they don't do another "farewell" tour. How many has there been now?

Old 10-10-2019, 10:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:

Yes, I was in Nashville at the time - as far as his affair went - yeah, that was scandalous to a degree, but didn't affect the fact that he was nice to work with, as far as business was concerned. And I think people understood that he didn't have a reputation for catting around. Heck, he had an affair with someone and he married her.

And, if you knew his first wife, you'd have felt sorry for him LOL. Honestly, it must have been a really hard time for him, because of his beliefs, etc. To leave a difficult woman for a woman he really loved. It must have been really hard for everyone, but especially him. I didn't know him personally, just enough to say hi. But, you learn creep radar in that business, and he just always gave me sweet guy radar.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:14 PM

239 posts, read 660,943 times
Once you succumb to the excessive sins of vanity, materialism, and ego, you won’t be able to leave.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, I was in Nashville at the time - as far as his affair went - yeah, that was scandalous to a degree, but didn't affect the fact that he was nice to work with, as far as business was concerned. And I think people understood that he didn't have a reputation for catting around. Heck, he had an affair with someone and he married her.

And, if you knew his first wife, you'd have felt sorry for him LOL. Honestly, it must have been a really hard time for him, because of his beliefs, etc. To leave a difficult woman for a woman he really loved. It must have been really hard for everyone, but especially him. I didn't know him personally, just enough to say hi. But, you learn creep radar in that business, and he just always gave me sweet guy radar.
I never met him but I never got the impression he was any type of gigolo. Had he been in any other industry, other than country music, his indiscretion with Amy may not have even gotten a blip on radar. Geez, when you compare back then to what happens today, that was nothing. It did hurt his career, though. When that happened, he was on top and then he dropped out of the limelight for awhile. Really sad because I love his music. He and Amy have been married for what like close to 20 years now, isn't it? Hardly a "fling" lol.

I think Vince is having a ball performing with the Eagles now. Their Hotel California 2020 tour is something I'd love to see.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:53 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Yes = talented musicians who can't write lyrics so they made up a bunch of new age-y mystical sounding stuff that rhymes.
Tales of the Topographic Ocean was originally supposed to be titled Tales of the Tobographic Ocean, according to Yes' Jon Anderson. He made up the word. Then someone pointed out to him that "tobographic" sounded a lot like "topographic," a word with which he was not familiar at the time.

Nevertheless, I've always liked Yes. Their lyrics are pretty much a tossed word salad, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California