Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
2 more thoughts on my OP....first, God forbid I get nailed on one of these dandies...can I plead stupid for not knowing all the state laws (how many are we up to now)????? Heck, who has time to keep up and also contribute taxes to all the spenders in Sac! Secondly, who would be easier to bribe...the 'lifers" down under the dome or a part time legisture who actually had to work in the real world and then report to the dome on a part time basis...think, think, think!! Oh yah, my break is over back to supporting the takers!!!
The part time legislature (and the full time legislature for its first 25 years) didn't have term limits.

Realistically, if a part time legislature were to be reintroduced, it would be full of the same exact type of people as the current legislature is except even more so. Do you also want to return to one state senator per county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 05:35 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,371 times
MO, why do you think the outcome would be the same? I would suspect the "honest" guy participating in the real world be more apt to legislate responsibly and less likely to be subject to all the special interest groups buying the lifers off. To see guys like our new Gov who has bounced around every state job there is and come back to the top slot is rediculous. Politics aside, as it happens for both dems and cons, get these people out of government merry-go-rounds and make our government Of the people, For the people, and By the people. How novel!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times

I read these laws and what's the big deal???????

Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,654 times
Too many laws. The CA legislature doesn't take enough breaks...

Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I read these laws and what's the big deal???????
There is no big deal if you're not opposed to Sacramento making your choices and your mind up for you!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 AM

607 posts, read 2,368,371 times
I guess I should have said in my OP "let's take a poll". Who wants the government to make a law for everything, regulate everything, tax us into oblivion and line us up as sheep...all in favor vote yes. The others who take responsibility for their actions say no. Then the "yes' voters can pay all taxes they want.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:34 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
I guess I should have said in my OP "let's take a poll". Who wants the government to make a law for everything, regulate everything, tax us into oblivion and line us up as sheep...all in favor vote yes. The others who take responsibility for their actions say no. Then the "yes' voters can pay all taxes they want.
Certainly we don't need regulation of anything ... the "system" will always self-regulate responsibly. (Just like the Wall Street Bankers do.)
So many people take responsibility for their actions ... after all, responsible people make the world go round and the economy thrive!

the hard-working, responsible, farmer who grows tobacco
the truck driver who delivers the paper products used for rolling the smokes
the legislators who refuse to ban the commercialization of the habit
the advertising creative director who creates clever campaigns to market the products
the immigrant store owner who sells the cigarettes
the janitor who sweeps the floor of the stock exchange where R J Reynold's shares are traded

"Hey, we're just responsible hard-working people who need to feed our families -- and we pay taxes ... not like the scum who live off the civil service system ... and not like the scum who live on our welfare! ... Those people are the only ones who need regulating!"

382,000 Americans a year die from tobacco-caused lung cancer ...
Nearly every product we use and consume, even organic foods (trucked to market by gas-burning vehicles), are toxic in today's world. Nearly all financial products are viciously self-serving only a very small elite at the destruction of the working middle-class economy. Nearly all the education we cram into our childrens' heads is perpetuating the same destructive lifestyle paths we live today.

Few are truly disconnected from the system.

You're right, though: regulation does suck.
And so does human stupidity.
I'm sticking with my dogs for enlightenment.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Certainly we don't need regulation of anything ... the "system" will always self-regulate responsibly. (Just like the Wall Street Bankers do.)
So many people take responsibility for their actions ... after all, responsible people make the world go round and the economy thrive!

the hard-working, responsible, farmer who grows tobacco
the truck driver who delivers the paper products used for rolling the smokes
the legislators who refuse to ban the commercialization of the habit
the advertising creative director who creates clever campaigns to market the products
the immigrant store owner who sells the cigarettes
the janitor who sweeps the floor of the stock exchange where R J Reynold's shares are traded

"Hey, we're just responsible hard-working people who need to feed our families -- and we pay taxes ... not like the scum who live off the civil service system ... and not like the scum who live on our welfare! ... Those people are the only ones who need regulating!"

382,000 Americans a year die from tobacco-caused lung cancer ...
Nearly every product we use and consume, even organic foods (trucked to market by gas-burning vehicles), are toxic in today's world. Nearly all financial products are viciously self-serving only a very small elite at the destruction of the working middle-class economy. Nearly all the education we cram into our childrens' heads is perpetuating the same destructive lifestyle paths we live today.

Few are truly disconnected from the system.

You're right, though: regulation does suck.
And so does human stupidity.
I'm sticking with my dogs for enlightenment.
Population control, that's what it's all about.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
July 1 marks start date for a number of new laws in state - latimes.com

Old 07-02-2011, 09:45 AM

40 posts, read 86,030 times
Most of these laws are updating or overturning old ones, no big deal. I like AB 1844, which is a one strike policy for sex offenders. We were the first state to suggest that kind of law before everyone else copied us.
The Marijuana penalty is a good idea as an infraction so, we wouldn't have more people sitting in county jail and the cops then can focus on catching murders or robbers.

Last edited by ExperimentalArmy; 07-02-2011 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California