Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times

Advertisements

I think the failure of the healthcare proponents was in not communicating the details well enough. That left room for the crazies to go,,, well,,,,, crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 02:52 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Obamacare is really screwed up and should be discarded and everybody start over.
Maybe you could explain exactly what you think is so screwed up about it. It sounds as if it's a huge improvement over the health care coverage you have now.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Again, healthcare premiums have increased significantly well before Obama was sworn into office. Health insurance companies drop people from their policies and increase premiums on other policy holders to make up for the loss. The recent premium hike by the insurance companies in California was no exception, as many Californians are unable to afford the increased 14% premium last year.

Remember the when health care was one of the top issues that each Republican and Democratic candidates tackled in the Election of '08? Since when has health insurance companies ever decreased premiums? The answer is never. This has been a problem for a while.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Since when has health insurance companies ever decreased premiums? The answer is never. This has been a problem for a while.

The gummint told me that cost of living went up less than 1% this year so my Social Security got no COLA. I wish the gummint would tell the health care providers and health insurance companies the same. It seem they both went up at least 10% this year. Maybe the gummint don't know that retired people are paying most of their income for health care. Maybe that 1% isn't an honest statistic. Wow, maybe the gummint lied.

My Blue Cross went up about 40% in the last 12 months.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Sounds like that Lovehound does not care for capitalism.

If you are retired and paying over 600 a month for health insurance you have a bad plan.

My mother, 86 pays 600 per month and the insurance companies are losing money on her.

If you are a retired person and you are paying most of your income for healthcare, you really made some bad choices along the way.

Shame you did not serve your nation, your nation would have taken care of you.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
The gummint told me that cost of living went up less than 1% this year so my Social Security got no COLA. I wish the gummint would tell the health care providers and health insurance companies the same. It seem they both went up at least 10% this year. Maybe the gummint don't know that retired people are paying most of their income for health care. Maybe that 1% isn't an honest statistic. Wow, maybe the gummint lied.

My Blue Cross went up about 40% in the last 12 months.

My Blue Cross also went up significantly, but I don't have the total percentage for all the increases, since I downgraded my plan one time. The funny thing is since I signed up with Blue Cross, I have not made one single trip to the doctor in 3 years and my premiums have gone up each year.

I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs, and I don't eat crappy food either.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Sounds like that Lovehound does not care for capitalism.

If you are retired and paying over 600 a month for health insurance you have a bad plan.

My mother, 86 pays 600 per month and the insurance companies are losing money on her.

If you are a retired person and you are paying most of your income for healthcare, you really made some bad choices along the way.

Shame you did not serve your nation, your nation would have taken care of you.

Sounds like you should refrain from being judgmental about someone over the Internet, especially since you don't know squat about that person in real life.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
You're going to leave government out of the equation entirely? Really?
Legislation will always be faulty because you have two groups fighting to implement different ideals. That means laws will always be twisted to make both sides happy, which you see with Obamacare - I still don't understand why they watered things down to make the opposition happy, it's not like the previous administration did that with their big initiatives. But I digress. Government will always get in the way of getting things right.

The private sector (specifically, big business) always finds a way around the legislation via the loopholes in order to make a profit and keep the share holders happy. Even if legislation opened the doors by deregulating, do you really think that big business would do more to help those who need help most? They will only do what they have to do do make a profit. It's a conflict of interest in the most basic sense - trying to make a profit from a situation where people's health and well being is concerned, especially when it doesn't make business sense to insure people who don't have the money to pay for it.

Explain to me how treating those who can't afford it and treating those with preexisting conditions is a good business model. The bottom line is, it's not. And the only answer is to force the insurance companies to do it, which will make that industry a little less profitable. Unless of course you believe in survival of the fittest. So to offset that, you have to find ways to help them keep their profits up (like expanding the pool and including more healthy people).

I think the main problem is trying to find a way to prevent average people who get sick or injured from losing everything they have due to medical bills. Once we can figure that out we can tackle how to make sure all of our citizens can afford the same quality insurance programs available to the privileged, no matter their medical history. It's seems easy enough, we just have some people who will fight any solution that looks as if it's going to cost them more, even if it is more fair for everyone. And of course, you have the lobbyists who work for the people with all the power, who will fight for whatever makes them more profits - and that doesn't usually involve solutions that benefit the middle class.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
I'm smarter than that. I'll counter your points, but I wouldn't waste my time trying to convince you of anything. It's not my fault that your reading comprehension is subpar.
I can't say I agree with everything Lovehound says, but I don't see the need for personal attacks. Agree to disagree without throwing out insults when your points aren't accepted by all.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Obamacare is really screwed up and should be discarded and everybody start over.
Problem is, we'd be throwing away the billions that have already gone into it, plus billions more to repeal it, then we'd end up spending billions more just to get something else that isn't all that great, or worse, no reform at all. At some point we need to try and make something work. The status quo hasn't been working, and yet doing nothing about it has been the choice of 2 out of the past 3 administrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California