Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:01 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This is how we welcome home our heros home here in fly-over country.
Not sure why you would make such a comment.

Here is a heros welcome a few years ago in Torrance. Scroll down to view the memorial service at South High's football field.

Hundreds gathered Thursday to pay respect to Army Corporal Joseph Anzack Jr., a 20-year-old soldier found dead last week after an ambush in Iraq.

Joseph J. Anzack, Jr., Corporal, United States Army

Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Not sure why you would make such a comment.

Here is a heros welcome a few years ago in Torrance. Scroll down to view the memorial service at South High's football field.

Hundreds gathered Thursday to pay respect to Army Corporal Joseph Anzack Jr., a 20-year-old soldier found dead last week after an ambush in Iraq.

Joseph J. Anzack, Jr., Corporal, United States Army
Don't have to look at the link. Kudos for you and Torrance. Simply wish it was more wide-spread like it is here. Our heros deserve nothing less, nationwide.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM

277 posts, read 379,576 times
So the entire state of California with 40 Million people is being compared to a town of 4500 yes this thread makes plenty of sense. Of course there are no cities or small towns with people honoring fallen solders this only happens in \"fly over country\". I see what you\'re doing though, more attempts at trying to make this political and go into liberal bashing.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
So the entire state of California with 40 Million people is being compared to a town of 4500 yes this thread makes plenty of sense. Of course there are no cities or small towns with people honoring fallen solders this only happens in \"fly over country\". I see what you\'re doing though, more attempts at trying to make this political and go into liberal bashing.
Oh my! The pack of hyenas grown. Have at it. Your midwestern/southern/small town/patriot/age bashing is real attractive too.

You/it/the pack bother me not a whit.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:42 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,542 times
Why don't we just let the thread end, out of respect for those who served the country.

And I'm ever sorry that I made a comment in this thread that was based on an assumption.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,678,559 times
Quote:
It was a cheap shot, I agree. I just dont think highnlite is sincere in his critique
Are all you righties knuckleheads? I am a veteran, I served my country, I think that gives me a little credence, WTF did you do?

I bet you think because I don't wave the bloody shirt, or wear my patriotism on my sleeve, that I am just a liberal and not a patriot, but that my friend, is very small minded.

I see that Curmudgeon did not man up, instead he resorted to what he thinks are personal attacks,

Curmudgeon, you are a very small man, and you have not acted with honor on this thread, you made a cheap shot and have spent 5 pages trying to worm out of it.

Your disrespect is not to me, even though you make what you think are snarky remarks aimed at me, your disrespect is to our servicemen and women and to and to their families and in a larger sense, to our country itself, by stating that those in one region are more "American" than those in another. It is sad, it is pathetic, and it breaks my heart every time I hear some nutcase say crap like this, for I love my country, and I have served her well most of my 60 years.

I am going to give you some lines, this is how an American honors those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
Quote:
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Can you see the difference between your sentiments and the writer of these lines?

You, once again screwed the pooch, for at least the umpteenth time.

Last edited by .highnlite; 01-11-2011 at 01:59 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM

634 posts, read 1,447,649 times
I wish someone would close this thread. It's making me sad. Are we not better than this?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,678,559 times
SLO, and Curmudgeon, both of you are showing what manner of people you are.

It just goes to show that getting older does not make you a man.

Curmudgeon, you have shown your self to be a man without honor, you have reflected the standard rightwing BS, that only they are patriots, that makes me sick.

SLO, you are just a kid, what you know would not make a warm cup of spit.

Nomadic9460678748 ; I understand your feelings, but to have a person disparage over 589 families in California who have lost a son or daughter in these wars cannot go unchallenged, for anyone to say that a certain region, or a certain political philosophy loves their country better than another, is a dishonorable thing to say.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Closed. Subject to further mod review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California