Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 AM

12 posts, read 28,775 times

Advertisements

In about a year, I should be ready to move. I live in Aberdeen, WA right now and absolutely hate it here. It rains over 90% of the time here and its cold and dreary all the time. Just tired of everything being cold and damp and smelling like mold all the time. Plus the cold-wet weather is really hard on my joints. I am currently laid off from work and cannot find another job for the life of me. I have a two year degree in the Automotive field, plus some work experience. I also have work experience in retail and as an office assistant.

In short, I want to move somewhere warmer and sunny. I did spend a week in Redding a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. I have a child who will be in 1st grade next year. How is Redding for a single parent? Are people friendly? Good schools? What about job opportunities?

If you don't suggest Redding, where do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 12:47 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Don't blame you for wanting to escape Aberdeen but jobs aren't exactly plentiful. The Redding Searchlight-Record is their paper and you can read it online. Chico or Sacramento might be better for jobs.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Don't blame you for wanting to escape Aberdeen but jobs aren't exactly plentiful. The Redding Searchlight-Record is their paper and you can read it online. Chico or Sacramento might be better for jobs.
Thank you for the suggestion... I've been reading some of the other forums on Redding, and some were from a few years ago. Just wanted to make sure and get current information.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,454 times
While the Record Searchlight is the local paper, it is good that the sum of a city is not measured by dead tree media. Three web sites to check would be enjoymagazine.net, anewscafe.com, and reddingblog.com. TV stations KIXE.org, krcrtv.com, and khsltv.com. Radio stations, you can listen online or download programs as podcast, kcnr1460.com and kqms.com.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I'm familiar with both areas, having lived in CA for 40 years. I know Aberdeen is gloomy and not much to do, but I couldn't handle Redding either. What time of year were you there? We were there last summer in June, and it was 108. If you like it hot and dry maybe you'd be happy there.
The Bay Area has more jobs but is expensive, look at Auburn, Roseville,
and Fairfield.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 AM

363 posts, read 1,119,885 times
Default Jobs are scarce

I can appreiate your desire to see the sun. I live in the area. We have plenty of sun (and heat) for 8 months out of the year. Temps can hit 118 degrees here in July and/or August.

The economy of the northstate has largely been "resource based"; i.e. timber, lumber, etc. In the late 80's and early 90's many of the lumber mills closed and their blue collar jobs vanished. In general, those jobs have not been replaced. Oh, some additional retail and warehousing jobs have been added, but with much lower salaries.

So, jobs are scarce here;and good-paying jobs worthy of supporting a family are even rarer. You should expect lots of competition for all job openings in the Redding-Red Bluff-Chico area. As an example, I work for a small City and we recently had an entry level opening in our Public Works Department. There were 230 applicants for that one position.

My advice to you is to tread water until you have a job locked up here. Do not relocate without employment.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM

@ jimvideo
Thanks for the info.

@ bisjoe
I was there at the end of March, it was 75-80 degrees F and sunny each day. Aberdeen doesn't normally even get that warm during the summer months. My other choice if not Redding is the Phoenix area. I'm aware that anywhere I go right now for jobs is few and far between. That's why I am planning for next year moving and starting all my research now.

@ Jaybee
It sounds exactly like Aberdeen, we were once a thriving timber community and never fully recovered after so many logging and timber companies that went out of business. They are hiring for one of the mills that they closed like 7-8 years ago, and hiring only about 130 people, and they've had over 1,200 applicants... and the board members that interviewed me said that there are still applications rolling in. That was the ONLY interview I've had since being laid off in August. I am either overqualified, don't have the experience, or there is no "use" for me at the company. It doesn't help that I was laid off on bad terms and its a small enough town, that people will hire based on who you know, rather than skills and qualifications.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:08 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I live in the area. We have plenty of sun (and heat) for 8 months out of the year.
Rest-of-the-story translation: the winter third of the year is still rather damp and cloudy.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,450,688 times
I hear 'ya re: the Aberdeen "wet & gloom", and Redding ranks as the 2nd sunniest city in the United States, (88% of the year, just behind Yuma's 90%).

And aside from the economics and job issues previously mentioned, as an ex-WA Stater, if you were O.K. with the feel and "culture" of Aberdeen, you'll likely be fine with the feel of Redding. Also, for better or worse, like Aberdeen, Redding is similarly a bit "isolated" and far from any other large urban areas. While some folks prefer that, others maybe not so much.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,256,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Rest-of-the-story translation: the winter third of the year is still rather damp and cloudy.
Well, Redding has its rainy season in the winter, but as mentioned, it's one of the sunniest cities in the nation. For the past two weeks, it's been in the low 70s and sunny, in the middle of winter. Granted, that's pushing records for this time of year, but it can certainly get into the mid-60s when it's sunny, even in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California