Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:28 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You are to hostile for a discussion, but here is one for you, anybody can say anything , that does not make it true.
So it is an Arabian! Too funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Sometimes when all you got is all you got it is hard to peer over the side of the box. I reckon that like YTG, he be young and not real experienced in the ways of the world.

Curmie, the discussion is on IQ, please be careful, I would not want you to get hurt.
Highntite, the thread was on public employees. Nasty tumble there!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
You still have not heard me, let me make a clear declarative sentence.

An IQ of over 130 will not in many cases be a benefit to the possessor, and in fact research shows that an IQ of over 130 is more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Here, another short declarative sentence; The most satisfied and content people have IQ's from 100 to 125, like most engineers, doctors and teachers.

Here, another short declarative sentence; The most satisfied workers are heavy equipment operators.

Here, another for you; The happiest people generally have IQs under 80.

Now, you can believe what you want, but don't believe that what you belief reflects reality.
Ignorance is bliss. That's basically what you are saying . Cheers
Everyone is welcome to live life how they want. It's a free country.
However, on the matter of compensation for duties performed there shall be no ignorance. There shall be a measure of intelligence. There shall be a measure of 'contribution to society' relative to others. There shall be a measure of difficulty relative to other vocations. There shall be factors such as supply and demand. There shall be all such things to arrive at true value and thus compensation.

This thread is concerned with compensation .. Specifically overcompensation of public employees. Re-stating the topic : Public Employees - The new welfare queens. This has nothing to do w/ happiness, social IQ, and all such things fuzzy and beautiful unless it has to do directly with how one effectively executes their job. The matter at hand is with the public sector and what such jobs should compensate individuals.

On that matter, given the requirements to be a K-12 teacher, the pay is out of scale with what a person of such skill level will fetch in the private sector. As for shortages related to supply and the ever increasing demand, leverage technology to reduce the need for more teachers. Leverage systems like blackboard.com, crowd sourced grading, online content to expand the reach of material : Free Online Course Materials | MIT OpenCourseWare .. But is that too much to ask of the public sector? Instead of giving people tax write-offs to have kids and kids. Start charging people more money who have beyond 2 kids. Make them 'invest' in their child's future. Stop taking tax revenue from random sources to fund a personal choice between two consenting adults.

We are in a point of heightened strain on the private sector and thus the economy and it seems more than ever, the public sector demonstrates its complete lack of being able to think outside the box, reduce waste, increase efficiency and decrease the need to keep expanding headcount.

So, rants aside, what are you suggesting? Lets stick to the numbers/facts/data. I don't care about happiness measurements and all such foolishness. Happy didn't create electricity. Happy isn't the reason why you are able to communicate with me right now at the speed of light. Happy wasn't my AP physics teacher (but managed to teach eager kids just well). Happy doesn't put food on the table or solve the worlds problems. Motivated/Dedicated/Hard working thinkers do.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
So, rants aside, what are you suggesting.
Rants aside, what would you have to say?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And of course, the off-topic tag team couldn't permit that to occur. How predictable and apparent!
Heh
Come on Chief, tell me you aren't laughing -- and I'll call you [respectfully] untruthful

This is public service, Norman Cousins style ... bringing humor to the oppressed. You see how many folks are reading these posts -- and not commenting? They're laughing too hard. This is contributing and "giving back" to the community

Last week I didn't interfere with your little fun flame-war with Don9, now did I? Nor did I interrupt when those two giants of negativity, Don9 and Phil306, were going toe-to-toe. Youse guys were doing fine entertaining the troops without me. Just takin' a turn tonight.

Y'all have fun now -- he'ah?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Rants aside, what would you have to say?
I just stated it .. And you wonder why I don't put much energy into posts. When I do it doesn't make that much a difference anyway.

To restate (aligned w/ the topic of discussion) :
Public workers are overcompensated vs. the private sector
-> Supporting data was provided in numerous posts
-> Teachers are compensated well given hourly wages and benefits
* Many teachers I knew decided to teach because they wanted to give back. They did so after lucrative careers in the private sector. Their private sector experience provided for a wealth of discussion that aided in learning. They didn't teach for the money although felt that they adequately compensated.
-> Public sector pensions should be ended and public sector employees converted to 401ks equivalent to the private sector

I am really not trying to be :
-> arrogant
-> self-righteous
or push an agenda here. If I am wrong, I will admit to it. I would like a sensible debate of points/facts/ration discourse. I still value your opinion and would like you to provide feedback and arguments w/ supporting data if you have them.

Lets get at the truth and grow from it
*Cheers

Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Apparently dementia isn't just an old age disorder

Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
And you wonder why I don't put much energy into posts
Holy smackers batman, have you ever made a post of less than 300 words? Looks like you put a lot of energy into your posts to me, not that I read past the first 3 sentences, your syntax is odd, to say the least.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Holy smackers batman, have you ever made a post of less than 300 words? Looks like you put a lot of energy into your posts to me, not that I read past the first 3 sentences, your syntax is odd, to say the least.
High GWAM. What can I say, I'm a software engineer. I type 'conversationally' when i am not on the 'clock'. Thanks for demonstrating you don't care to respond contributively. I've tried and put my best foot forward. I will ignore you posts from now on. Good Day

Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 PM

152 posts, read 335,189 times
Originally Posted by .highnlite

Maybe if you read past the first 3 sentences you would learn something, like others use fact to back up what they say, and you spout well fact less rants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California