Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:29 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,655,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Teaching isn't as hard as you make it up to be. I'm an engineer and I'd do great in a classroom. I did great as a guest speak
Hubris, being a guest teacher is like being a new puppy, everyone likes you, but soon they get tired of cleaning up your doo doo.

And then the parent comes in and complains, "You gave my child a bad grade because;
A. you hate her
B. you hate everyone like her,
C. You don't know anything, you are just a teacher,

etc, etc, etc,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,497,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Hubris, being a guest teacher is like being a new puppy, everyone likes you, but soon they get tired of cleaning up your doo doo.

And then the parent comes in and complains, "You gave my child a bad grade because;
A. you hate her
B. you hate everyone like her,
C. You don't know anything, you are just a teacher,

etc, etc, etc,
I am there to teach not be your friend... You are here to learn not be my friend... Remarked the best physics teacher at my highschool .. Honors class of course.

And then the dummies who raise a dummy come to complain.. Well, hopefully you aren't teaching dummies ... a.k.a : honors/ap course.. Otherwise, 'regular' classes .. I'll explain : I am there to babysit your child while you are at work ..

Why would I care what some clown has to say to me? I taught your kid like I taught everyone else. Your kid just can't hack it.. maybe you should help tutor him/her at home instead of watching American Idol.

I can remember to this day when I would be in a 'regular' class fixing computers .. Chaos/anarchy/rocks for brains children. Of course, it was that the teachers didn't make enough money that they couldn't reach these delinquents ...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,265,527 times
[quote=Don9;17640383]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

It's your false accusations and your threats and your blaming voters that makes it real easy to say ... too bad and don't look my way for support!
Call CalPERS and complain. They desperately wanted full control of the pension fund, they convinced the voters to vote for it and they got it.

California voters are not responsible for CalPERS mistakes
California voters are responsible for the problem. You finally admitted the voters of this state agreed to the pension issue/problem. Then turn around and say they "convinced" the voters.

So, the voters are stupid? Dumb? Ignorant? Or all of the above (this includes you)?

If your 401k at "Wells Fargo" or wherever, was guranteed, with a contract, in writing, you would receive 20% return, every year, for the next 40 yrs and Wells Fargo told you, and the other 300 thousand people: Too bad. The stock market didn't keep up. We aren't paying. You and everyone else would be SUING. You would be on the doorsteps of every courthouse, etc, saying you were "owed" such; and the fact is, you would be right and would ultimately win.

The problem is, you and others, didn't have the forsight to get in "such a good program." So you whine, complain, and moan. That isn't my fault, nor the fault of thousands of others.

I don't want your support, nor need it. We'll just have to see where the chips fall and, I believe you will lose. Yes, reforms are coming for people coming into the system. No chance in hell a change will occur there. For me, and thousands of others (including Jerry Brown and all those state assembly persons), I don't believe there will be a change.

And like it or not, again, YOU agreed to it. Its now time to payup.

By the way, with the increase in the stock market, alot of this is moot anyway. CalPERS is just about as strong as ever.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,655,150 times
So, you have divided the world into AP and Jackwagons, I suppose in your world view we enslave the jackwagon.

Quote:
I am there to teach not be your friend... You are here to learn not be my friend... Remarked the best physics teacher at my highschool .. Honors class of course.
Pretty easy to quote timeworn aphorisms.

Say, did you ace the National AP Honors Calculus exam? mmmm? My daughter did, but she doesn't think that makes her a different race than the Jackwagons.

Quote:
they couldn't reach these delinquents ..
Delinquents are easy to reach, just don't think of them as delinquents, funny what respecting a person will do.

Hubris is a terrible character flaw, you know the old timeworn aphorism, "Pride goeth before a fall"

Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,958,224 times
[quote=Phil306;17651042]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post

California voters are responsible for the problem. You finally admitted the voters of this state agreed to the pension issue/problem. Then turn around and say they "convinced" the voters.

So, the voters are stupid? Dumb? Ignorant? Or all of the above (this includes you)?

If your 401k at "Wells Fargo" or wherever, was guranteed, with a contract, in writing, you would receive 20% return, every year, for the next 40 yrs and Wells Fargo told you, and the other 300 thousand people: Too bad. The stock market didn't keep up. We aren't paying. You and everyone else would be SUING. You would be on the doorsteps of every courthouse, etc, saying you were "owed" such; and the fact is, you would be right and would ultimately win.

The problem is, you and others, didn't have the forsight to get in "such a good program." So you whine, complain, and moan. That isn't my fault, nor the fault of thousands of others.

I don't want your support, nor need it. We'll just have to see where the chips fall and, I believe you will lose. Yes, reforms are coming for people coming into the system. No chance in hell a change will occur there. For me, and thousands of others (including Jerry Brown and all those state assembly persons), I don't believe there will be a change.

And like it or not, again, YOU agreed to it. Its now time to payup.

By the way, with the increase in the stock market, alot of this is moot anyway. CalPERS is just about as strong as ever.
You are out of control and in desperate need of some serious anger management.

But aside from the obvious, federal lawmakers are currently working plans to allow states to in effect "file bankruptcy" which will invalidate any obligation contracts like the unsustainable public pension contracts. This is a widespread problem and many states will be going down this path. It must be done because the states just don't have the funds and either does the feds.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:20 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,265,527 times
[quote=Don9;17651520]
Quote:

You are out of control and in desperate need of some serious anger management.

But aside from the obvious, federal lawmakers are currently working plans to allow states to in effect "file bankruptcy" which will invalidate any obligation contracts like the unsustainable public pension contracts. This is a widespread problem and many states will be going down this path. It must be done because the states just don't have the funds and either does the feds.

Good luck!
No, the luck is going to be needed for you and the people in California (and other states). You see, you THINK you know all and are a smart, progressive liberal. Think, just think what will really occur IF you void said contracts.

First off, you have no clue what you are talking about, other then reading something on CNN or wherever. I work for a city, not the state and the state has no control over my pension. That is to begin with.

Now, let us say, for the sake of arguement, you void my pension and it gets reduced in a court of law. Ok. It won't go away completely, reduced, that much I will give you.

So, what do you think I and thousands of other police officers will do (its already being discussed behind the scenes)? I'll write more tickets. Yes, more moving violations for the general public.

What will this do? Cause me to go to court more. Yes, every court appearance is a mandatory 4 hours of overtime for me. So, since you, Mr Don I Know It All, will reduce my pension by X, I'll get OT in Y. Oh, the OT YOU and the other Californian's will pay me? Sure, that way I'll increase my own 401k, which I currently max out on, even more.

What will that do to you, and your fellow Californian's? Oh yes, don't forget the court employee's, judges, clerks, etc which you decided to void their contracts on? Yes, pay more money in overtime costs for police officers within the state. Not too mention, police officers not available for regular investigations and, moreover, all these Californian's forced to take time off of work, etc to go to court.

Illegal? Nope. Totally legal. Most officers I know and work with, do not issue citations, because they DO NOT want to go to court. However, if they are forced to make up money, guess how they will do it?

But, I am the one with anger management issues and have no clue what I am talking about.

YOU are going to pay; one way or another. You shall pay. You can do it above board or you can do it behind the scenes. Makes no difference to me. However, you will pay.

The "good luck" is needed for you and the rest of California. What I have outlined is just one OF MANY ideas people in the police, fire, and related fields are discussing and WILL implement, if they are forced too.

NOTHING I have said is illegal. NOTHING. So again, you can whine, *****, complain and moan all you want. There is nothing which can be done; in fact, MANY officers do it now, to fund their own personal vacations.

I'll see you in court. Remember, I'll be making time and a half for the court appearance; you'll be losing money.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM

711 posts, read 1,852,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite
This is pretty sad, what exactly do you do? You think teacher health insurance continues after they stop paying into it upon retirement?
Many union contracts specify exactly that. And those that don't often have nominal payments. The conditions of coverage (maximum benefits, deductibles, covered conditions and procedures) are usually much better than a retired private-sector employee can buy too.
Quote:
You really think private sector retirement plans are not better than teachers? Really? you think that?
Yes, I really think that. It's indisputably true.
Quote:
Teachers are paid for 182 days, they do not get paid vacation time during the summer. Teachers either get paid 9 months of the year, or their 9 month pay is divided by 12 so that they get something through the summer.
When teacher's salaries are quoted as "67k per year", that's what they're getting for 9 months of work. They are not getting 3/4 of 67k. The fact that summer vacation is technically uncompensated is economically irrelevant. $67k is $67k, no matter how apportioned throughout the year. They're still taking home significantly more cash than most Californians.
Quote:
B. A professional with 5 years college under their belts should be able to buy a new car and a house, teachers don't make enough to do that.
That is breathtakingly privileged thinking. It is also absolutely wrong. There is no "should" in life. There are no guarantees. What you think you "deserve" is irrelevant, meaningless, inconsequential, immaterial, and unimportant.
Quote:
C. Teacher salaries are predicated a false assumption, that teachers are women who have husbands with real jobs.
Teacher salaries are much higher than the average in the private sector. That is hardly a sign of being underpaid, nor is it a sign that teachers are considered "women without real jobs". Stop repeating the lie that teachers aren't paid enough.
Quote:
Apparently you missed my comparison of a starting salary for an engineer compared to a salary for a teacher after 20 years work...... think about it.
I didn't miss it, I deemed it irrelevant. What "should" that teacher be paid? As low as the market will bear. Other than that, the question has no meaning.
Quote:
it is more, but, to call that "tons" is stretching it. If you only get 14 days vacation a year, you screwed up in your career choice.
Calling over 4x as much vacation time "tons more" is stretching it? Your definition of stretching needs work.

If getting less vacation time is "screwing up your career choice", by what rationale should I entertain your delusions about teacher compensation? Suck it up, you screwed up your career choice.
Quote:
Really, so as teachers retire or leave the profession and the number of education graduates is cut in half, and the student population continues to grow there will still be enough teachers?
Yes, because there are too many wannabe teachers. That will still be so in the future. I can't imagine why, teacher compensation being as terrible as you say, but it's true.
Quote:
Engineering is a career of rote formulaics, school systems that emphasis rote learning turn out great engineers, look at Japan and China.
Depends on what you're doing. I've met "engineers" who were nothing of the sort. They were beneficiaries of title inflation, but didn't design anything. Nearly all were public sector. The private sector can't afford such dead weight.

As for "rote formulaics", ever met a teacher that's been teaching to the same basic plan for 20 years? I have, and I'd say that most teachers do exactly that, even assuming they can teach any "plan" they like, which is rarely true.

It may appear to you that an engineer who has been designing memory chips for 20 years has essentially been doing the same job without variation, but it's not true. The circuit designs are different, the semiconductor processes are different, the system timing is different, even the software is different.

Innovation in teaching English? Shakespeare hasn't changed in centuries.
Quote:
In America there are few engineers with IQs over 130, because of the behavior characteristics of the extremely highly intelligent, in simple words, for a person of extremely high intelligence, engineering becomes boring fairly quickly.
Designing CPUs is rarely boring. Writing software is rarely boring. Designing a building? Not boring. Some of the scut work, like QA, is indeed boring, but newbies rarely stay there long.
Quote:
Engineering requires good math skills, at least to get through school, but does not require higher intelligence than average.
You are joking, right? "Good math skills" and "100 IQ" do not compute. I dare you to teach vector calculus to a 100 IQ person.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 PM

711 posts, read 1,852,795 times
Quote:
YOU are going to pay; one way or another. You shall pay. You can do it above board or you can do it behind the scenes. Makes no difference to me. However, you will pay.
We taxpayers are your slaves, and you're making sure we know it. I applaud your honesty.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,866,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Why would I care what some clown has to say to me? I taught your kid like I taught everyone else. Your kid just can't hack it.. maybe you should help tutor him/her at home instead of watching American Idol. ...
I am amused, not irritated. Your absolute and unwavering arrogance toward others is astounding, post after post. Every subject. You have said you are 24. You appear to have a very agile mind and have acquired a lot of information in your relatively short life-span and education -- you seem to me to be pretty good at doing tricks with it, too. However, these abilities are not what I define as "intelligence" -- more: 'clever' and 'mentally acrobatic'. And that is sometimes a very useful attribute. You may earn $$ well with that tool.

'Intelligence', however, in my definition, involves being aware of such things as the full consequences of one's actions before they are put into play. This is something that homo-sapiens have some potential for, with logic and analytical reasoning, but rarely exhibit as a winning trait in the struggle between desire and sensibility. 'Intelligence' also is a measure of understanding one's true place in the universe with regard to how much one creates his/her own reality.

I am very curious how you, so mentally adroit, see your role in creating yourself, as you seem to take credit for. I am wondering if you would share with the rest of us, lower beings () a few answers:
1.) what makes some people 'smart' and others 'stupid' -- how do we, respectively become those things?
2.) How did you become so 'smart' as you apparently think you are? Did you, as a 'pre-being' somehow manage to design yourself? Chicken or egg?
3.) Do all the 'stupid' people you look down upon with such distain, choose to be stupid? Is it a choice?
4.) Why would anyone be 'stupid' if they could be 'smart' (like you)?
5.) Are you aware of how your arrogant attitude of superiority toward others has consequences? -- for others and yourself, both?
6.) what would the world be like if it were inhabited by only 'smart' people?

Old 01-30-2011, 10:14 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,866,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Now I know you're smoking dope. You cannot seriously argue that education degrees are as hard to get as engineering degrees. The old trope about "those who can't teach" isn't mere bigotry. There are no 100 IQ engineers. None. I'm not talking about the "title inflated" engineers you see in the public sector, either. I'm talking about people who design stuff. An average person simply isn't smart enough. I do not say this to insult them; it is no more insulting than it would be to say the average person cannot, no matter how hard they try, run a 4-minute mile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
You are joking, right? "Good math skills" and "100 IQ" do not compute. I dare you to teach vector calculus to a 100 IQ person.
Curious: You say teachers can't match the intelligence of engineers? Just where did all you engineers get your education? I mean from whom? Who taught you what you know? Take your time and think through the answer. When you think you have it, write it down on a piece of paper and swallow it -- see if it digests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California