Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I had a friend in college who was a transfer. Saved a good deal of money, but his biggest complaint was that he did not get the letters of rec he wanted nor the connections to professors that other students had because he had such little time. Transfers have to hit the ground running
I went to a community college that had a partnership with the University I went to, which is fairly common. Many of my teachers at the community college also taught their subject at the University and since they had a partnership I was able to attend University events as if I were a regular student instead of a transfer before I actually transfered. I was even able to take certain classes at the 'community' price instead of the University price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Amazing how few kids are going to 4 years out of high school, even in upscale areas. Is it the cost? Or is California's youth failing to measure up?

See which high schools send the most students to California colleges - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee
I think a lot of kids go to trade schools, my son got his degree in 18 monthes.

PS I had no problem understanding your post.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
The article link is about how many California high school GRADS end up going to CALIFORNIA colleges vs out of state private ones. Seems that OP was mistakenly trying to make a point about how few high school grads there are.

I find the entire thread hard to figure out (grammatical errors aside) since the OP doesn't seem like he critically read his own posted link. Questioning whether California graduate's ability to "measure up" is lost. The wording of the title of the link is a bit confusing but nevertheless I suspect the OP was trying to make a point based on information that has no bearing on graduation rates or if the graduates are attending college out of state.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
I had a friend in college who was a transfer. Saved a good deal of money, but his biggest complaint was that he did not get the letters of rec he wanted nor the connections to professors that other students had because he had such little time. Transfers have to hit the ground running
Letters of rec for what? Work? He could always have got a job instead. A letter of rec from an employer is worth much more. Definitely worked for me, but then again I've been working since I was 16. A lot of the college kids I know have mommy and daddy pay their tuition.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
Guess I'll break it down.

Quote:
Amazing how few kids are going to 4 years out of high school, even in upscale areas. Is it the cost? Or is California's youth failing to measure up?

See which high schools send the most students to California colleges - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee
In bold, perhaps it's a regional thing -- I'm not sure. What he means is college, his 'assessment' can be seen almost identical to the first sentence of the linked article. Call it slang or whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
I don't understand this sentence.
Neither did I.

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you, it is in English. Would you prefer Spanish or French?

What does this have to do with the topic? Or are you just being a rude OC mommy?
No need for attacks, your English grammar needs polishing or clarifying. You need to indicate it properly when you use a term in lieu of conventional understanding of English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
How about 3rd grade English?

What does

"Amazing how few kids are going to 4 years out of high school, even in upscale areas."

mean? It doesn't make sense.
Nope, it doesn't.

Quote:
If you can't follow the conversation you'll just have to watch. If you want to show off some bizarre grammar fetish or you have issues with the way lay people type, take it to the education forum.
The only bizarre grammar fetish here is from the OP as explained above. There's a way laypeople type?

Pertaining to the topic, I agree with Clongirl.

Last edited by BVitamin; 01-27-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
These statistics actually mean very little with regards to the thread's title. They do not show how California High Schools are doing. Rather they simply show how many kids from HS stay in state rather than going somewhere else. And whether it's a 2 year CC first then on to a university or entering a 4 year college as a freshman, its meaningless in terms of getting a job.

The bottom line is did they obtain a relevant degree or not? And more importantly did they have any kind of practical experience while attending college like an internship or part-time job related to their field of study. Part of my job entails reviewing resumes and I can tell you that all the rest of that stuff is in the noise or N/A.

Derek

Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Here is an interesting tid bit I found. Lets check out castro valley high. This is a school with an api ranking of 9. So based on standardized test scores they rank in the top 20th percentile. http://castrovalleyhigh.org/pdf/School_Profile.pdf

Quote:
[SIZE=3]Castro Valley High School graduates have been accepted to a broad range of colleges and universities. The Class of 2009 self reported that 40% of its members will attend a four year college [/SIZE][SIZE=3]and that 37% plan to attend a two year or vocational school[/SIZE][SIZE=3]. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

So according to a self report of the class of 2010 only 40 % of the kids at this school are going to 4 year schools after they graduate.

Now according to the bee, based on 2008-2009 data 37 percent of castro valley grads went to a 4 year school, public or private in the state of california. With the remaining 38 percent going to cc's in state.

http://www.sacbee.com/2008/12/24/1497777/see-which-high-schools-send-the.html?appSession=621982121031079

Considering the data at hand, my hunch would be that 5 percent or less of castro valley high grads are going to colleges out of state.

Now this is what we get from Bishop O'dowd, a well known oakland catholic high school several miles from castro valley high :

http://www.bishopodowd.org/s/770/portal.aspx?pgid=267&gid=1
Quote:
In 2009, over 98% of the graduating class enrolled in colleges and universities. 92% of the graduates enrolled in four-year colleges with 6% enrolling in two-year colleges. Each year graduates disperse to universities throughout the nation, from East Coast Ivy League schools to the outstanding universities in California. Typically about 33% choose a UC school, 40% attend Catholic, private, or other religious university, 22% enroll in the California State University system and 5% take advantage of our excellent Junior college system.
So my guess is that with private schools it's going to be a bit off as many enroll in private or religious schools out of state. But it does not seem that a lot of californians from public school are going to school out of state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well I'm not sure what to say. In my husbands graduating class in 1973 only about half a dozen kids went to a 4 year university immediately after graduation. It was a solid, but working class, public high school in CA. I think more kids go today.

A good point. I talked about this with my father and his perception was similar. Though he grew up in a different time, when generally speaking college was a way for the well heeled to avoid vietnam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I think a lot of kids go to trade schools, my son got his degree in 18 monthes.

PS I had no problem understanding your post.
Also a good point, I have a lot of good friends who have solid jobs from going to those tech schools and nursing programs.
It just seems that the high schools are producing really low numbers of kids getting any type of education after high school. I was kind of stunned to see a school rated so well like castro valley not even breaking 80 percent.
P.S. I very much appreciate the fact that you are not being pretentious and droll for the sake of veering a thread off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Letters of rec for what? Work? He could always have got a job instead. A letter of rec from an employer is worth much more. Definitely worked for me, but then again I've been working since I was 16. A lot of the college kids I know have mommy and daddy pay their tuition.
No, letters of rec for grad school. He had a job in retail to make ends meet and pay for books, but uh that's not exactly the type of letter of rec he was looking for. And my friend paid his way with loads. I could empathize with the fact that he just didn't have enough time to get to know the faculty. Between making the grade and making ends meet in the bay area, it's hard for transfer students.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal dude View Post

No, letters of rec for grad school. He had a job in retail to make ends meet and pay for books, but uh that's not exactly the type of letter of rec he was looking for. and my friend paid his way with loads. i could empathize with the fact that he just didn't have enough time to get to know the faculty. Between making the grade and making ends meet in the bay area, it's hard for transfer students.
lol

Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
keep in mind that with the calgrant funds being hammered in recent years and tuition raising more than 100% in the past decade enrollment in universities in CA from locals is going to be down regardless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California