Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Got to thinking about what .highnlite wrote in another post, another thread: how most folks on this Forum seem to live in the city and do city things and be concerned with city and state political and economics issues ... dunno how true that is, but it does kind of seem those civilized "issues" dominate.

So, decided the California neanderthal throwback Knuckledraggers, and out of state Knuckledragging visitors from other cave-clans, need some page time and representation. How about hearing from anyone who climbs California's mountains, canoes/kayaks her rushing rivers and coastlines, sails her bays and seas, camps in the golden deserts, gets serious cricks in the neck looking up in the redwoods, hunts, fishes -- and otherwise gets "out" into California's wild spaces? What are your best knuckledragging past-times? Stories?

Big state. Magnificent range of natural environments. Staggering. A whole planet in its own right.

No need for curmudgeons here ... just folks that like to "just do it" outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Ok, well, I gotta do both for a few more years. I was born in the hills but jobs were scarce so I migrated to the Coast. I'm still a working stiff but have access to a cabin in the local Mts. If I had my choice I'd be up there for good. U name it I'm up for it, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, cycling, rock climbing, trail running, you name it! My playground runs from the South of the border to Big Bear inland to the Salton Sea and 100 miles out in the Pacific! I'm doing my best to get the kids hooked too.

The fishing sucked this year so the big twin diesel didn't get much work. I did spend that extra time as far into the bush as I could get this year though.

This season I've filled two Deer tags and still chasin hogs and some birds.
Attached Thumbnails
4 knuckledraggers only! -- your adventures in California wilds?-sspx0212.jpg   4 knuckledraggers only! -- your adventures in California wilds?-sspx0639.jpg   4 knuckledraggers only! -- your adventures in California wilds?-sspx0309.jpg   4 knuckledraggers only! -- your adventures in California wilds?-cedar_creek.jpg   4 knuckledraggers only! -- your adventures in California wilds?-fish.jpg  

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 01-27-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Why do you call people who enjoy the outdoors "knuckledraggers?" If I were to call anybody by that name it would be the city people who spend their days breathing smog and walking in malls.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Why do you call people who enjoy the outdoors "knuckledraggers?" If I were to call anybody by that name it would be the city people who spend their days breathing smog and walking in malls.
It's called being facetious ... I am borrowing the term (knuckledragger) from Curmudgeon's use of it as an attempted insult on another thread ... and I agree with you ... as I just wrote in that other thread, this new topic is for the folks who don't think burying your sh8t in a hole in the woods is any less refined than what goes on in Sacramento -- or the malls Au contraire !!

Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Default Frazil ice -- a Yosemite slurpy

Here's a fascinating video look at a phenomenon of Yosemite that likely about 35 million (or more) of California's 36,961,664 residents are unaware of: Frazil Ice -- a Yosemite slurpy

YouTube - Yosemite Nature Notes - Episode 9 - Frazil Ice

Old 01-27-2011, 04:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Thanks for sharing that. I had no idea. Learn something new every day.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Thanks for sharing that. I had no idea. Learn something new every day.
Hey! Good to find you here ... welcome aboard

I suspect this thread will, over time, showcase a LOT of great California phenomena hidden in plain sight. Hope so. Great state to show off.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Yo Angry -- thanks for helping get the thread started ... you say your activity range is mostly southern Calif. (the area I am least familiar with) ... pictures were great to see ... deer hunting south too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, well, I gotta do both for a few more years. I was born in the hills but jobs were scarce so I migrated to the Coast. I'm still a working stiff but have access to a cabin in the local Mts. If I had my choice I'd be up there for good. U name it I'm up for it, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, cycling, rock climbing, trail running, you name it! My playground runs from the South of the border to Big Bear inland to the Salton Sea and 100 miles out in the Pacific! I'm doing my best to get the kids hooked too.

The fishing sucked this year so the big twin diesel didn't get much work. I did spend that extra time as far into the bush as I could get this year though.

This season I've filled two Deer tags and still chasin hogs and some birds.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
burying your sh8t in a hole in the wood
You know, the preferred alternative today is to pack it out.. and in the desert you are supposed to smear it on a large rock.

Which reminds me.

My first winter ascent of Shasta, who were we to know we were about 2 months too early. We did the 2:00 AM start, -something bad degrees, and it only got colder, at the 10,000 foot level, there is a flat area, we decided that since the snow was as solid as a rock (more on that in a bit) we would not attempt suicide in Avalanche Gulch. We (my partner who now is a fishing guide) snuggled in a nook between a couple of rocks to get out of the wind, hauled out the primus stove to brew a cuppa, I braced the stove with a couple of small rocks, one of which had an odd shape to it, upon close examination it proved to be someone's fecal deposit, frozen as solid as... a rock!. We tossed that made our tea, clicked into our skis and enjoyed 4,000 feet of descent on snow as soft as an asphalt highway and as steep as a black diamond slope. Oh, and less I should forget to mention, at that time I could not ski for beans, having only one lesson some years before, in the rain, in New Hampshire, I could make a wedge turn to the left, but nothing to the right. My partner of course could ski very well, and he did have the patience to wait for me.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Hey! Good to find you here ... welcome aboard

I suspect this thread will, over time, showcase a LOT of great California phenomena hidden in plain sight. Hope so. Great state to show off.
One thing no one can argue is that California is absolutely unique in that regard. Nine state and three other countries later there is still no place quite like it - bits and pieces, yes, but not the totality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
My first winter ascent of Shasta, who were we to know we were about 2 months too early. We did the 2:00 AM start, -something bad degrees, and it only got colder, at the 10,000 foot level, there is a flat area, we decided that since the snow was as solid as a rock (more on that in a bit) we would not attempt suicide in Avalanche Gulch. We (my partner who now is a fishing guide) snuggled in a nook between a couple of rocks to get out of the wind, hauled out the primus stove to brew a cuppa, I braced the stove with a couple of small rocks, one of which had an odd shape to it, upon close examination it proved to be someone's fecal deposit, frozen as solid as... a rock!. We tossed that made our tea, clicked into our skis and enjoyed 4,000 feet of descent on snow as soft as an asphalt highway and as steep as a black diamond slope. Oh, and less I should forget to mention, at that time I could not ski for beans, having only one lesson some years before, in the rain, in New Hampshire, I could make a wedge turn to the left, but nothing to the right. My partner of course could ski very well, and he did have the patience to wait for me.
That could give a whole new meaning to cuppa mud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California