Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,626,925 times

Advertisements

Live on the Canadian Shield, Thousands of square miles of solid granite, The upper peninsula of Michigan would be perfect, no earthquakes, hurricanes, if you live on a hill, no floods. The cold keeps the Mosquitoes at bay half the year.

The perfect place for the OP to live, but, if I have my way the nuclear wast dump proposed for Nevada will be moved to the U P. Makes sense to move that to an area that cannot have an earthquake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACA View Post
... I recommend central Pennsylvania, specifically the town of State College. ... extremely safe and family-oriented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Humpalot View Post
What about the health risks of depression from living in dreary depressing cold cloudy rainy snowy weather for six months a year?
It never occurred to me that State College would ever pop up on this Forum ... whaddayaknow. I actually lived about 20 minutes from State College (hundreds of years ago, at least ) ... safe and family oriented, yes -- and, I'd add, due to University influences, not an entirely uninteresting small town ... manages to imbue all with a semi-lively, youthful ambiance.

"dreary depressing cold cloudy rainy snowy weather for six months a year" ??? You're confusing that with where I maintain primary residence now: the Pacific NW. It is true that State College is toward the gray-mush skied Pittsburgh half of PA where the winter sun is surprisingly limited ... but really more central-PA ... not bad at all, really. Allegheny Mountains are beautiful all year.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,304,738 times
You are 24 and have OCD and want to get married, kids, etc.? OCD and babies don't mix too well. All a baby does is eat, sh.t and cry, you want that as someone with OCD? You are too d.mn young to get married and why get married? Marriage is overrated and a bit absolute at this day and age.

Grab your guitar and head out, travel a bit, see different parts of the country and live at each place that appeals to you a while. If you are able to open each and every door then do so, don't just open door #1 and then settle whatever is behind it.

Hold off on the marriage if you do not have anyone lined up already, live your life, get to know yourself first. I was like you (minus the OCD) in my early 20s, I had a beautiful girlfriend (b.tch is still beautiful! ) and she wanted to have kids and get married, white picket fences....blah. If you truly feel the same way great if not, grab your guitar and head out dude. Don't let the society control you any more then my unintentionally preachy comments.

Like I said earlier travel and see what is out there.Live at different places and after some time (when you hit your 30s), if you still want to get married and kids then by all means. By then you will save up some money and be not only mentally but a bit more financially ready.

I also believe you will never find "nice people/neighbors" if you are not one yourself. Most of the time, people are a reflection of your own attitude or worse. No one will be nicer to you than how you have been treating them unless there is an angle:
"Got couple of bucks?", "Wanna get high?", "Would you like to join our church?".

If you want to move, move but do it for the right reasons. There are ton of more realistic and imminent dangers out there than earthquakes, imho.

Live and enjoy your life because no one else gives a rat's .ss if you do or don't, not even the moderators on C-D.

PS. Grass is hardly ever greener on the other side unless you are moving to OR or WA.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:08 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,567,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
PS. Grass is hardly ever greener on the other side unless you are moving to OR or WA.
You mean like this:

Derek

Old 02-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Here are a few pictures from CO just to give you an idea of the other things you will find in the states with more snow and lightning storms. With the lightning storms add in the thunder which shakes the walls and windows of your house, sometimes like bombs exploding outside. With the snow picture driving around on black ice and watching cars around you spinning out as you go. Both can be dangerous and do kill ppl every year.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-05-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Derek, that last picture looks so bleak, nothing worse than the high plains in winter, houses without trees just seem colder.

Now, you can have snow without leaving CA, here is our Valley, and myself plowing our driveway (at our home near Tahoe, this shows some of the reasons we moved to the coast.

Here is my truck parked in a parking lot, there is actually a creek behind the truck so the snow is deeper than it looks.

For some alchemical reason two photos shrunk, darn.

Last edited by .highnlite; 02-05-2011 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Derek, that last picture looks so bleak, nothing worse than the high plains in winter, houses without trees just seem colder...
Yeah, the Winter along the eastern slope of the Rockies turns pretty brown and bleak. There are miles of plains without much. But the developments which are older have more trees. Ours was newer hence the lack of larger trees. My father-in-law's home, just 10 minutes away, was built in the 70s and they have the opposite problem. He has large aspens and evergreens with roots and branches that cause problems being too close to his house.

On the other hand Fall in the Rockies is pretty hard to beat:

That snow looks pretty high in Tahoe. It reminds me of vacationing/skiing there and Mammoth.

Derek

Old 02-05-2011, 09:22 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,147,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
Having lived in CA all my life I can say, some areas of CA have horrible earthquakes, while other areas of CA do not. You do not have to leave CA. In LA and Long Beach I lived through some rather harsh earth quakes but in OC I have only been through a few very minor ones. In Orange County they have been so small that not even anything falls down and breaks. Also if you are dead set on leaving CA because of earthquakes keep in mind that every other state has its own disasters or problems. There is no perfect place to live, safety wise.
If a devastating earthquake strikes along the San Andreas, OC will definitely be affected. And OC has large faults of its own, such as the Newport-Inglewood which extends from South OC to the west side of LA and is capable of a 7.4

NEWPORT-INGLEWOOD FAULT ZONE (http://www.data.scec.org/fault_index/newping.html - broken link)

Old 02-05-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
If a devastating earthquake strikes along the San Andreas, OC will definitely be affected. And OC has large faults of its own, such as the Newport-Inglewood which extends from South OC to the west side of LA and is capable of a 7.4
Not true, if the San Andreas kicks in San Francisco as in 1906, OC won't feel it, if the next great shake happens where predicted, Parkfield, OC won't feel it.

There are plenty of faults in California, nowhere is immune, but that does not mean that movement on one section of a fault will be felt throughout the state.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:22 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,147,369 times
I should have said if the San Andreas breaks along its southern part -- the part that would most affect LA -- then OC would definitely feel it. I was responding to the poster who seemed to imply that, while LA and Long Beach are prone to quakes, that OC was much safer. My contention is that it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California