Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:54 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianguitarist27 View Post
I know man, well hey guys look. Not sure how much it matters, but I also have O.C.D. (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.) You can look it up if you want.

Years ago if I said O.C.D. No one knew what it was. Now because of several Documentaries on TV- a lot of people are aware of it. And even more, now when I tell people I have it. They go "Oh So do I!" And no they don't bro.. To this day, I have not met anyone in person that actually had O.C.D.

They always say they have O.C.D. Cause they keep things neat, or "I have to have my desk Organized! If some one comes & messes it up, I will fix it!" I am so messy bro.

My bad, I know this is off topic- & knowing how proactive that Moderator is, this part may get deleted. But, If you looked it up- you'd find that it kind of makes you Paranoid of stuff. People with OCD think of all kinds of things, all kinds of possibilities. I've Read a lot people with OCD are above average intelligence because of the required complicated thinking patterns. I dunno.. I'm a Business owner & my Favorite subject is Math. But- I think about like Germs & crap. At restaurants I eat w/plastic forks (that they have there.) I think like- "Man, imagine how many mouths this fork has been in." then I'll keep going, And then imagine, the guy working in the back- that dude that just don't give a crap, probably making $8/hour, probably back there having a conversation about how drunk he was the other day- Is he really paying that good attention to scrubbing these Forks? Imagine if he skipped one by mistake etc.. And all those thoughts come faster then I can even read this out loud- Seriously!

Like no one over here is Concerned about this whole thing, but for some reason I'm almost obsessed with it now. And you'll also read- even though People with O.C.D. Realize their Actions, their Fears are just Ridiculous, they simply can not help it, they can not stop! They have to do these things to relieve that Anxiety.

Anyway, I'm sure all this typing will get deleted anyway. Just a quicky explanation for why I think I'm so concerned.
Odds are you have but there is a huge range of severities with the disease and some hide it well. Most, if not all I work with would never know I suffer from OCD and I scored in the mid-range of severity of OCD when I was diagnosed years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
That snow looks pretty high in Tahoe. It reminds me of vacationing/skiing there and Mammoth.
Yep, during storm cycles I would plow 5 or 6 times a day, just to stay on top of it.

Quote:
that OC was much safer. My contention is that it is not.
Very true, nowhere in California is safe from earthquakes, it is a jumble of faults.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Do not move to Texas. The tornado threat every spring and other times during the year is far worse than the thought of CA earthquakes. I lived in CA for 28 years and was in two fairly large quakes, one in 1952 which I don't remember, but the one centered in Sylmar in 1971, I remember like it was yesterday. If it weren't for the tornado threats, the heat and humidity in Texas will make you miserable as it last for about six months of the year. I truly wish I had never left CA.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Christianguitarist27 ~

I don't know how many places you'll find that are completely disaster-protected. Many fellow Oregonians tend to brag that "nothing ever happens here", although a small town was almost completely demolished by a twister a couple of months ago. Many homes have given in to the rages of mudslides during particularly wet seasons. And while we haven't had a major earthquake yet, it IS expected to happen, and it will be a one.

Best you can do is settle for "semi-safe". I'd say go ahead and try the Pacific NW, anyway. Nevada. . . Can't think of natural disasters there, although eventual lack in water is always a concern. Idaho could be another consideration.

The northeastern states don't experience much for disasters, but just their climate alone would be restrictive to me. Still, many people do it.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
There are earthquakes threats, ranging from slight to moderate, all over the US, not just in California. But even a moderate quake in the Midwest could cause more damage than in California because many buildings aren't constructed with quakes in mind. And the northeastern US can get hit by category 1 and 2 hurricanes. Below is a link to maps for various natural disasters. No state is left unscathed by one disaster or another.

Google Image Result for http://www.globaldatavault.com/img/map-earthquake-risk.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California