Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times

Advertisements

I do wonder why people who are in need of work limit themselves geogrphically. I realize it's ideal to be able to live and work somewhere you really love but in this economy you may need to compromise and expand outside your comfort zone. For example, your husband would probably have little trouble finding work or starting his own cabinetry business here in Northern Virginia. Our economy is relatively strong with lots of folks with steady paychecks willing and eager to pay for that type of work. Our housing stock is getting a bit aged, particularly in the affluent close-in suburbs so there is always plenty of demand for kitchen and bathroom upgrades. The problem with places where you're looking is there are probably many other people who already do that kind of work combined with struggling local economies full of folks who don't make all that much money relative to the wealthier urban areas in the East and South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,734 times
I live in Penn Valley and it's wonderful and the poster who said you might get a house on a couple acres for $500k was dead wrong. We built a lovely custom house (1568 sq foot) on 5 acres with horse arena, stables, detached garage, carport, two permanent pastures, an orchard, large garden, big front and back yards and irrigation. We also have a strong (20 gpm) deep well with the best tasting water on the planet. We are 1/2 mile from an 80 acre park, 1 mile from town, 5 miles from a bigger very pretty town, 1.5 hours from an international airport and big city shopping is even closer, have great neighbors and live right below the snow line and right above the fog line, literally, in these gorgeous foothills with nice people of cultural diversity... liberals, conservatives, hippies, cowgirls & cowboys, rodeos, Renaissance festivals, and much much more. We would sell our home for $375k. Reason being, we want to move to the midwest to be closer to my husband's parents and other relatives. But as far as the BEST place to live weatherwise, scenic wise (gorgeous river canyons and mountain vistas all around us and only a couple hours from the ocean), THIS is paradise. I'm crazy to consider leaving.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 PM

282 posts, read 618,206 times
5 acres is pushing it in most of the coastal counties with a good job market. I am looking to relocating within CA to find at least 1-2 acres for my price range & be witin range of the ocean. Most CA towns with affordable land are in the middle of nowhere. I will suggest Atascadero where I am looking as there are some jobs around (apparantly not many,but look at craigslist & see what you can find) & it is very close to SLO with affordable acreage. Paso Robles also has acreage for $500,000, but it is hot in the summer,very sunny though,not much rain or clouds, it has some jobs & a little economy. Here are a couple properties in Paso in the $500k range .
10 acres,Big house $499.. Listing # 179961 - 4430 Camp 8 Rd, Paso Robles CA Real Estate - The Keith Byrd Team
5 acres, decent house $469 Listing # 179991 - 6775 Benton Rd, Paso Robles CA Real Estate - The Keith Byrd Team
10 acres, cute house, $475 Listing # 170174 - 2835 Geneseo Rd, Paso Robles CA Real Estate - The Keith Byrd Team
Nice house wtih pool,etc. 1.5 acres $429 Listing # 179656 - 1725 Nacimiento Lake Dr, Paso Robles CA Real Estate - The Keith Byrd Team
10 acres, modest house, $399 Listing # 179228 - 1940 StageCoach Rd, Paso Robles CA Real Estate - The Keith Byrd Team

So you get the idea, it's possible, but the job market is pretty bad in all of CA.

There are some beautiful places up North here with acreage like Ukiah & Willits, but there are not many jobs for 1-1.5 hrs. & the town doesn't offer much,very small.It is greener than Paso though with beautiful Redwoods & long sunny summers,though the winters can be very rainy. Where I live in Sonoma 5 acres & a nice house will cost you $800-2Mil even in this bad market.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:28 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,090 times
To the OP: I think you will find Bucks County, PA to have what you are looking for. You say that you lived on the East coast. May I ask where? Are you familiar with Bucks County? Try looking online at upper Bucks, or even parts of Montgomery county. The central Bucks area is upscale, artsy, there are several other fine cabinet makers, I would imagine a mid-wife service would be welcome here, you are within very fast and easy access to NYC and Philadelphia by train, bus or car.

Bucks county has many historic, and/or upscale homes. A beautiful area. Lotsa wealthy folks with the taste to demand such services as you and yours offer. Folks from NYC, esp. the art/theater folks come here. As for beauty, PA is breathtaking, and there are 4 seasons with the sun out in the Winter. Plus, we get SNOW!

When folks we knew needed authentic Victorian woodwork reproduced for their home interior, they found a man who did such work. It was NOT CHEAP! But, they paid it!

So, maybe you should look to the East coast for what you want.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:49 PM

I spent the first 20 years of my life in the Chester/Bucks county region and it is a very nice area. But it is about as expensive as CA, property taxes & all the other taxes are very high,much higher than we pay here, although property values are lower the outrageous taxes balance it right out for me.

Also while it has the 4 seasons & more "normal" weather than CA I would not say it is nice compared to CA. There is about 9-10 months of perfect beautiful weather in the nice parts of central & northern CA & 2-3 months of crap weather. In PA there is about 8 months of crap weather,2 months of so-so weather & 1-2 months of perfect weather. This is a direct quote from my close friend who spent his first 20 years in CA & last 10 in PA & me who spent my first 20 years in PA & my last almost 10 in CA, we both agree on this.

Pennsyltuckians will argue with me, but it is HUMID & sticky all summer with a lot of rain & clouds & the winters are long,brutally COLD,icy & very dreary with a bit of snow.
The fall is sublime, but gets cold very quickly & everything freezes & dies. The Spring is very nice too,but leads into the horrible, humid,rainy summer.

It all depends what you like, I will stand up for PA saying it is a good place to raise a family,no Mexican gangs, it has some natural beauty,hills & seasonable weather. If you want low humidity, LOTS & LOTS of sun, ocean,mountains & a mild winter climate I would stick with the coastal counties or the Sierra foothill regions of CA, there is no better weather,eco-diversity & beauty in one place in the US. I would however much rather live in PA than any of the Central valley or San Jauqin valley or desert regions of CA.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
It all depends what you like, I will stand up for PA saying it is a good place to raise a family,no Mexican gangs, it has some natural beauty,hills & seasonable weather. If you want low humidity, LOTS & LOTS of sun, ocean,mountains & a mild winter climate I would stick with the coastal counties or the Sierra foothill regions of CA, there is no better weather,eco-diversity & beauty in one place in the US. I would however much rather live in PA than any of the Central valley or San Jauqin valley or desert regions of CA.
And if you like high taxes, ridiculous COL, massive regulatory intrusion and nanny government then anywhere in CA is the place for you.

Those who retain the increasingly rare ability to think for themselves rather than having guvmint and their party and unions do it for them move on; its natural beauty notwithstanding.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
I spent the first 20 years of my life in the Chester/Bucks county region and it is a very nice area. But it is about as expensive as CA, property taxes & all the other taxes are very high,much higher than we pay here, although property values are lower the outrageous taxes balance it right out for me.

Also while it has the 4 seasons & more "normal" weather than CA I would not say it is nice compared to CA. There is about 9-10 months of perfect beautiful weather in the nice parts of central & northern CA & 2-3 months of crap weather. In PA there is about 8 months of crap weather,2 months of so-so weather & 1-2 months of perfect weather. This is a direct quote from my close friend who spent his first 20 years in CA & last 10 in PA & me who spent my first 20 years in PA & my last almost 10 in CA, we both agree on this.

Pennsyltuckians will argue with me, but it is HUMID & sticky all summer with a lot of rain & clouds & the winters are long,brutally COLD,icy & very dreary with a bit of snow.
The fall is sublime, but gets cold very quickly & everything freezes & dies. The Spring is very nice too,but leads into the horrible, humid,rainy summer.

With the crash in real estate, prices have changed if you keep looking outside of central Bucks, and know just where to look. Seek and you shall find. Upper Bucks has lower prices, they seem a better deal than what I find in CA, and the lots are larger than what I see listed in SoCal, at least. If a person knows how to give a property "TLC", as the OP's spouse apparently does, some affordable gems indeed can be found. The homes that I come across are often older 19th century stone homes, or later wooden Victorian era homes.I'd rather have that than a blah McMansion, but that is my taste. No offense to OP, or any one on board here. Yes, expensive homes abound, but it depends on the town you are looking in. 30 minutes down the road it can be another story, still a nice community but lower prices, maybe not as "upscale". Yes, the property taxes are high, but I question if they are higher than CA's. No Mello Roos taxes. I still don't entirely understand Mello Roos, but we don't have it here. The taxes are high due to the schools demanding more money, which is raised via property taxes. As for the schools, they are very good and the county in general is safe, very safe, and well maintained. Darn nice place to raise a family. Lots to do all the time. You get what you pay for. Plus, the type of people who live here, at least in CB, have the potential to create demand for the type of work the OP wanted.

Closer to Philly, yes, it is expensive. I am NOT talking about being close to Philly.

Our utility bills are high, much higher than what I see quoted by folks for SoCal, This is to be expected, due to the climate here.

As for the climate, the rains often bypass us here in CB just when we need it most, so we tend to be drier here in CB. Darn annoying for gardeners, nice for lounging by the pool or beach. Although we do have 4 seasons here, it is darn nice at times. At times. Yes, I wish I was in FL or SoCal every time I have to shovel the driveway, and it is a big driveway. I don't deny wanting to be in SoCal (after all, that is why I haunt the CA message boards and post questions here), and hope to be so one day. However, the economy in CA doesn't encourage us to make the move. I still say I feel the OP stands a good chance to find the type of work they do here, IF they are willing to make a compromise on the weather.

Besides, what's life without a snowman, or snow angels, or stunning Autumn leaves?

Last edited by katnip kid; 09-15-2011 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And if you like high taxes, ridiculous COL, massive regulatory intrusion and nanny government then anywhere in CA is the place for you.

Those who retain the increasingly rare ability to think for themselves rather than having guvmint and their party and unions do it for them move on; its natural beauty notwithstanding.
Well I think everywhere has it's pros & cons. I grew up in an expensive area without a lot of money, so for me life in CA isn't too much different & I enjoy it waaaaaay more. There are cheaper places & other nice places to live, for some people though there is the perfect place, for me that's California.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
With the crash in real estate, prices have changed if you keep looking outside of central Bucks, and know just where to look. Seek and you shall find. Upper Bucks has lower prices, they seem a better deal than what I find in CA, and the lots are larger than what I see listed in SoCal, at least. If a person knows how to give a property "TLC", as the OP's spouse apparently does, some affordable gems indeed can be found. The homes that I come across are often older 19th century stone homes, or later wooden Victorian era homes.I'd rather have that than a blah McMansion, but that is my taste. No offense to OP, or any one on board here. Yes, expensive homes abound, but it depends on the town you are looking in. 30 minutes down the road it can be another story, still a nice community but lower prices, maybe not as "upscale". Yes, the property taxes are high, but I question if they are higher than CA's. No Mello Roos taxes. I still don't entirely understand Mello Roos, but we don't have it here. The taxes are high due to the schools demanding more money, which is raised via property taxes. As for the schools, they are very good and the county in general is safe, very safe, and well maintained. Darn nice place to raise a family. Lots to do all the time. You get what you pay for. Plus, the type of people who live here, at least in CB, have the potential to create demand for the type of work the OP wanted.

Closer to Philly, yes, it is expensive. I am NOT talking about being close to Philly.

Our utility bills are high, much higher than what I see quoted by folks for SoCal, This is to be expected, due to the climate here.

As for the climate, the rains often bypass us here in CB just when we need it most, so we tend to be drier here in CB. Darn annoying for gardeners, nice for lounging by the pool or beach. Although we do have 4 seasons here, it is darn nice at times. At times. Yes, I wish I was in FL or SoCal every time I have to shovel the driveway, and it is a big driveway. I don't deny wanting to be in SoCal (after all, that is why I haunt the CA message boards and post questions here), and hope to be so one day. However, the economy in CA doesn't encourage us to make the move. I still say I feel the OP stands a good chance to find the type of work they do here, IF they are willing to make a compromise on the weather.

Besides, what's life without a snowman, or snow angels, or stunning Autumn leaves?

I don't live in SoCal. I live in Northern California,I wouldn't want to live in SoCal, maybe Santa Barbara if I won the lottery but NO further South. Really wouldn't want to go much past SLO. But I live an hour North of San Francisco and we have very mild seasonal changes,much more mild than PA, but it is a nice place. We have alot of trees here & greenery unlike SoCal.There are some spots around creeks here that look just like PA, but then you have mountains & much more climate diversity. My garden has ***. maples,ferns & some Eastern favorites along side palms & citrus & more tropical stuff, so for me it's a good mix.

Anyways PA has the perfect "4 seasons" and I'm glad I grew up there because I know what a "normal" place with drastic fall color & snow is like, but I much prefer the climate here & would never go back. It is super mild & if you want snow you can drive up to the Sierra Nevada & see more snow than you need. Sometimes here we get snow above 2-3,000 feet and I drive up & hike in it. To each his own.

The original title was where in CA should we live, PA is a long way off from CA even if it has it's attributes.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:54 PM

True, PA is a long way from CA. However, if the OP can't find what they want in CA, maybe they should consider looking in other regions of the country. I mention Bucks County because it sounds like the type of place they seek, given their trades.

As a gardener, I envy the myriad plants that grow on the West coast. Just the thought of it...sigh. Can't top you on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California