Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times

Advertisements

This thread is really stupid. The last part of the list has limited validity, but the rest of it is nonsense clearly taken out of context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
This thread is really stupid. The last part of the list has limited validity, but the rest of it is nonsense clearly taken out of context.
The entire list has limited or no validity at all, if you create a list of those who did serve on one side and those who didn't serve on the other side you're obviously going to end up with a biased and one sided list... how ignorant do you have to be not to see that?

Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
"If you don't like the source, at least check the facts from other sources before ranting your denials."
Believe me, I have some personal knowledge, i do not have to check any facts. There is a little more to this than you or many libs will ever totally understand.

Nita

Old 02-10-2011, 08:59 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Reagan officially kicked off Banana Republic chapter of the US history. It's his main legacy as far as I am concerned.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
What I liked best about Reagan is that while many actors of his generation served on active duty in either the Pacific Theater or European theaters of war, he stuck to the Hollywood theater.

Second best? I like the way he attacked Carter and the Democrats for "Keynesian Economics" that is, using massive government spending resulting in deficits to fix recession and depression, exactly what the undereducated accuse Obama and the Democrats of.

Exceptin, once he got into office, Reagan tripled the deficit in order to fix his recession, yep folks, after denouncing Keynesian economics, he done did em'

And then.... My take on the following;

1. Reagan was a serial tax raiser. .................................................. .Yep
2. Reagan nearly tripled the federal budget deficit...............................Yep, after criticizing the Democrats for deficit spending.
3. Unemployment soared after Reagan’s 1981 tax cuts.
4. Reagan grew the size of the federal government tremendously. .... Yep, but not as much as Bush II who increased it more than any President in History.
5. Reagan did little to fight a woman’s right to choose.
6. Reagan was a “bellicose peacenik.” Can we say Fiasco?: Grenada and Lebanon
7. Reagan gave amnesty to 3 million undocumented immigrants. Yep.
8. Reagan illegally funneled weapons to Iran..............Yep
9. Reagan vetoed a comprehensive anti-Apartheid act. ... Yep, he liked that apartheid regime.
10. Reagan helped create the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden.".... Yep.

He was a nice guy, I had supper with him once, when I was a kid, he liked the money my parents sent him.
I am not going to take these 10 points and address everyone of them individual but let me say something about a few of them:10-where did you get this infomration and if he helped create Taliban, who finished the creation?
2-Women's right to choose, who signed the right to abortion bill in Calif?

3-The illegal issue and amnesty, do you have any clue as to why he signed the bill or do you know he did regret it in later years?

4-unemployment: what was it when he became PRes and when he left office?

Nita

Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Yup, you got that Right, nmnita, Reagan and conservative corporate concerns he represented were "PRO abortion" in not so distant past. It's something FOX & talk radio industry forget to emphasize. The image of multiplying poors threatening the wealth and power of the chosen ones was bothering them quite a bit back then. Only after it became clear that fertility of American poors (on the average) dropped below the levels guaranteeing steady supply of cheap, desperate labor force and legal&illegal immigration is a must to keep labor supply Up and wages down, Conservatives officially "embraced" anti-abortion cause to lure in catholic etc. votes.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:45 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
... i do not have to check any facts. ...
Astounding ... omnipotence in our midst! Declared as a True Believer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Right ... it is really stupid to debunk disastrous mythologies of the past ... better we should continue to deify destructive historical figures as models for the future -- that way we can ignore the lessons of true history that might assist us in avoiding repetitive disasters in the future ... and, while we're at it, we can go back to worshiping carved idols, as used to be culturally standard ... you know, like: sacrificing humans (preferably virgins, of course) at the altars of the harvest gods, and throwing children into volcanoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
... There is a little more to this than you or many libs will ever totally understand.
Hey, I'm no liberal either ... false deification is false, left or right ... I can readily attack the myth of JFK and FDR and on and on, as well ... thing is neither of those guys set America on a total downward spiral from which we may not recover as long as the myths remain.

I am just a humble student of social and physical anthropology. And the more brain-processing power in the primate species, the greater the conflicts and nastier the confrontations.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Reagan's legacy is the very epitome of the term "lionization": giving a real historical person larger-than-life proportions and eventually attributing positive qualities to him that are inconsistent with reality.

I think the sorriest thing about Reagan is that he turned his back on the people he grew up with -- the struggling, hardworking Illinois and Iowa families -- and became an advocate for economic policies that favored the wealthy. He truly forgot where he came from. He remains now the very archetype of a Country Club Republican.
I can't rep you again but damn, that's it Brenda!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:32 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Reaganomics started a shift that continues to this day: a realignment under which America's rich and powerful continue to grow richer and more powerful, and the disenfranchised sink further into poverty.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
California's favorite son?

"Tomorrow will mark the 100th anniversary of President Reagan’s birth, and all week, conservatives have been trying to outdo each others’ remembrances of the great conservative icon.
1. Reagan was a serial tax raiser.
2. Reagan nearly tripled the federal budget deficit.
3. Unemployment soared after Reagan’s 1981 tax cuts.
4. Reagan grew the size of the federal government tremendously.
5. Reagan did little to fight a woman’s right to choose.
6. Reagan was a “bellicose peacenik.”
7. Reagan gave amnesty to 3 million undocumented immigrants.
8. Reagan illegally funneled weapons to Iran.
9. Reagan vetoed a comprehensive anti-Apartheid act.
10. Reagan helped create the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden."

All true. I am no supporter of Reagan but more than anything he rebuilt the American psyche after the years of Nixon, Ford and Carter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California