Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times

Advertisements

Illegal immigration has been declining for years,
Quote:
an independent report released Wednesday that shows that the number of illegal immigrants crossing into the U.S. fell by nearly 65 percent in recent years.

About 300,000 immigrants illegally entered the country each year from March 2007 to March 2009, nearly two-thirds fewer than the 850,000 who annually crossed the border from 2000 to 2005, according to the report by the nonpartisan Pew Hispanic Center.

Continue Reading
Text Size
-+reset Listen
POLITICO 44

An estimated 11.1 million illegal immigrants were living in the U.S. in 2009, an 8 percent decline from the peak of 12 million in 2007. That represented the first significant decrease in two decades, the report said.

“We’ve seen a reversal in what had been a long-term growth in the unauthorized immigrant population,” Pew demographer Jeffrey Passel, who co-authored the report, told reporters.

Read more: Dramatic drop for illegal immigration - Scott Wong - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Illegal immigration has been declining for years,
Good news but they're still coming over, just in smaller numbers. You'd be amazed at how many boats wash ashore along San Diego County's beaches every month not to mention the border tunnels constantly being found. And unless something is done about it expect those numbers to increase whenever the economy picks up.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
So he took in funds that his taxpayers are forced to pay into and somehow this is scandalous? It's merely restitution.

Yawn, nothing to see here, move along.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Good news but they're still coming over, just in smaller numbers. You'd be amazed at how many boats wash ashore along San Diego County's beaches every month not to mention the border tunnels constantly being found. And unless something is done about it expect those numbers to increase whenever the economy picks u
Why would they not try to come?

and Why would Republicans want them to stop? The overwhelming majority, the vast majority of businesses that want their cheap labor are Republican owned, since we know the libbies are all sitting around on welfare, or working for the state, or getting their fat pension checks.

I find it humorous that anyone would think that Republican businessmen who hire illegals would want immigration reform.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Too funny, if you think about it, the red states are our "on welfare" brothers, taken care of by the blue states. That darned reality,

When I think of Conservatives, I think of Glen Beck, who manages to have an audience of millions by putting out pure fantasy..
Texas pays out more than it gets back from the fed, just like California does... oops, sorry I promise I won't deflate your rants with facts any more.

When I think of liberals I think of Californians who claim to live in the best state in the US but they can't afford to enjoy it.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Not quite, considering Californians only receive .78 in Federal spending for every dollar they pay in taxes, while TX receives .94!
And whos fault is that? Can't blame Texas for the fact that their politicians have the courage to demand the money they give to the feds.

Californian's need only blame themselves for the fact that we dont get what we put in. We have more people in Congress than any state, yet they don't "Protect" California. Its so funny people get up on election day and dutifully go vote for Barbra Boxer and the like, career politicians whom have been in Office "protecting" california for decades, then they come on City Data and blame Texans and people thousands of miles away for their politicians own ineptitude.

My guess as to why California does not get the money it needs, is because everyone knows Californians don't care where the money goes and everyone knows calfornians really are not opposed to being over taxed. When that changes, my guess is, so will the amount of money flowing back in state. But since californians are quite hostile tovchanging the status quo my guess is that wont be happening anytime soon.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
My how the mighty have fallen...

Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
And whos fault is that? Can't blame Texas for the fact that their politicians have the courage to demand the money they give to the feds.

Californian's need only blame themselves for the fact that we dont get what we put in. We have more people in Congress than any state, yet they don't "Protect" California. Its so funny people get up on election day and dutifully go vote for Barbra Boxer and the like, career politicians whom have been in Office "protecting" california for decades, then they come on City Data and blame Texans and people thousands of miles away for their politicians own ineptitude.

My guess as to why California does not get the money it needs, is because everyone knows Californians don't care where the money goes and everyone knows calfornians really are not opposed to being over taxed. When that changes, my guess is, so will the amount of money flowing back in state. But since californians are quite hostile tovchanging the status quo my guess is that wont be happening anytime soon.
Then by your thinking, "red" states must be the very "model" of fiscal prudence! Too bad the reality is that they usually end up being among the poorest states... while everyone else gets to pick up the tab. BTW, the only reason 'wingers like to crow about TX, is because any reasonably successful red state is such an anomaly to begin with!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Then by your thinking, "red" states must be the very "model" of fiscal prudence! Too bad the reality is that they usually end up being among the poorest states... while everyone else gets to pick up the tab. BTW, the only reason 'wingers like to crow about TX, is because any reasonably successful red state is such an anomaly to begin with!
California was considerably more conservative during its hey day of the 50's and 60's, which most agree was when the state was at its best, economically.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
You really gotta work on those math skills... or maybe you have some other way of showing how what is currently the 8th largest economy in the world was even larger than that back in the 50's and 60's...?

Although if you mean by "best", that every unskilled redneck yahoo used to be able to afford to live here, instead of finally having to move back to OK, AR, MO, or TX.... well then I do have to agree with you, that was probably the "best" of times for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California