Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times

Advertisements

I love that Iraqi resistance poster, because, here we had a country, it done got invaded by some other country 10,000 miles away, many of the Iraqis did not like being invaded, and so they fought the invaders. Seems fairly rational.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:43 PM

41 posts, read 78,972 times
"Who cares what people somewhere else think of California."

I just find it ridiculous that it gets such a bad wrap from people who don't know anything about it.

I think it's a rather interesting sociological phenomenon myself.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:50 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
So you did a survey of 270+ million Americans and most of them hated California. Oh wait you're going of your experience. I experienced other wise, such as questions about how things are out here and how much they loved visiting. Negative people attract negative people.
Well, thru much of the country this is common knowledge. It's also been documented to a great degree. All you have to do is google it. I'm sorry but I'm having a problem linking but you can find it by using this.

Got problems? Blame Californians - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

Quote:
.......For many Westerners, California is seen as a state of excess and an example of how things shouldn’t be done. (These also are the people who elected a movie star as their governor.)
Combine that with the frontier West, where residents aren’t so interested in a lot of government control over how they behave, and therein lies the problem.
Yes, Californians drive up housing costs, and some can even be blamed for falling prices because of the many investors who snapped up cheap houses, then wanted to sell, creating too much inventory in cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix. Many believe those cities are becoming suburbs of Los Angeles.
“Home prices go up and we all blame Californians,” said Jay Butler, director of Realty Studies at Arizona State University Polytechnic. “They are sort of like the West Coast version of the New Yorkers. They have the attitude.”
But what about politics? Are Californians starting to turn the West more blue?
“I think the Democratic Party is counting on it,” said Frey, the population expert. “If they shifted just a little bit in the last election, (they) could have elected a Democratic president.”
Colorado has gone from red to blue in the last four years, something ex-Californians may have had a hand in, said independent pollster Floyd Ciruli. But really the change just indicates what is happening in the rest of the country, he said.
Now, about that smoking ban. Nevada, where gambling and smoking are almost one in the same, previously had one of the nation’s least restrictive smoking laws. Now there’s no smoking in restaurants, bars that serve food or around slot machines in grocery stores or gas stations.
Connie Feulner is a bartender at Jake’s Bar in Las Vegas. When customers get to talking about the smoking ban that passed last November, she keeps mum. Don’t tell the customers, but she used to live in California.
“Damn Californians,” she said, repeating a familiar complaint. “All their fault, all the time.”.........

Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I love that Iraqi resistance poster, because, here we had a country, it done got invaded by some other country 10,000 miles away, many of the Iraqis did not like being invaded, and so they fought the invaders. Seems fairly rational.
So, being hired by al qaeda to kill fellow iraqi's because of their religious affiliations while harming us efforts to stabilize the country and allow national elections seems "fairly rational" to you? Really.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Shoot, you wanna hear some Oregon Jokes?
some Nevada Jokes?
How about Missouri Jokes?

Who cares what people somewhere else think of California.

At least they ain't here, gawd bless'em.

I betcha, a majority or near majority of Californians are no more than second or third generations, most of them Californians are really, Iowans, Minnesotans (just about anyplace with miserable winters) and Okies and Arkies, and Mowies, and Gawd bless'em, Texicans.
If ya' want to know how california treated all those okies, arkies, and texans just read steinbeck's "the grapes of wrath."

Old 02-11-2011, 06:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Shoot, you wanna hear some Oregon Jokes?
some Nevada Jokes?
How about Missouri Jokes?

Who cares what people somewhere else think of California.

At least they ain't here, gawd bless'em.

I betcha, a majority or near majority of Californians are no more than second or third generations, most of them Californians are really, Iowans, Minnesotans (just about anyplace with miserable winters) and Okies and Arkies, and Mowies, and Gawd bless'em, Texicans.
Heck! We'un gots lots of MO jokes.

//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...ood-jokes.html

Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
So, being hired by al qaeda to kill fellow iraqi's because of their religious affiliations while harming us efforts to stabilize the country and allow national elections seems "fairly rational" to you? Really
Generally people resent foreign invaders, seems a simple human trait. You can put any spin on you want, but, for instance, the Shia that resisted the invaders were most certainly not under the sway of Al Qaeda, and I think may some of the resistance feared that all the invaders did was swap the despotism of Hussein for the dominance of Iran, who today has more influence in Iraq than the US. Oh Duh!

Quote:
If ya' want to know how california treated all those okies, arkies, and texans just read steinbeck's "the grapes of wrath."
Sure, but today the descendants of those okies etc, own many of the farms they once worked on.

My wife is okie on both sides, and both those sides did very well economically over there in Bakersfield.

I often wonder about this woman, she came to pick peas in Nipomo, my grandfather grew peas and beans in Nipomo, did she work for him

Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingawayfromtherain View Post
err... the image with the chick I mean.. =)
That's the one they wish they had.

But the scariest sight was this:

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 01-10-2014 at 02:49 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
I don't think California is the most hated state by any means, I honestly don't know anyone who "hates" a state.

California gets it's bad rep because of a somewhat small minority of people who live there, not because of the state itself. That small but very vocal minority is clustered thickly in a lot of larger metro areas therefore people get the impression that the entire state is filled with people like that. I work in CA on a weekly basis, hell I'm flying to CA on Thursday and I'm looking forward to it because I'm working in an area filled with level headed people who dislike that vocal minority as much as non-CA people do. I drag a ton of cash home from CA on a yearly basis, some of my best customers have offices in CA that I frequently visit.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
California gets it's bad rep because of a somewhat small minority of people who live there, not because of the state itself.
I don't know anyone IRL who actually lives in California and hates it. It's been surprising to me to read these threads; if someone hates CA and lives here, why don't they move? And if they hate it and don't live here, why post? Unlike the OP, I don't find anything sociologically interesting about the topic, other than that there must be a lot of people on the Internet who have nothing else to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California