Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 17,219 times

Advertisements

I'm working on moving from Chicago to California. While I love the Chicago area, I need a change, and quite frankly, I'm done with Winter.

I lived out there while in the Marines, but its been awhile since I've lived out there, although I have vacationed.

Anywho, I love San Diego, but probably can't afford to live there. I have a 1.5. year old, and an 11 year old, so safe, family friendly areas are a must. I don't have a problem living in a burb of LA if it fits my criteria as well. Also would consider further North, as again, I'm just ready for a nice change.

I work in I.T., so finding a job shouldn't be horrible, and the wife works in sales.

I know that I haven't given a lot of info regarding house prices, but I'm willing to rent to start out. Being in the Northern burbs of Chicago, 300k gets me a nice house. But again, I'm planning on probably renting to start out.

I've heard of the following areas, and wanted to get some input.

Rancho Santa Margarita
Fallbrook
Encino
Yorba Linda
Chino
San Luis Obispo

I'm comfortable making a 30-45 m commute, and I'm not hung up on living walking distance to the beach. Good schools, safe, and family friendly are the most important items to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobes68 View Post
I'm working on moving from Chicago to California. While I love the Chicago area, I need a change, and quite frankly, I'm done with Winter.

I lived out there while in the Marines, but its been awhile since I've lived out there, although I have vacationed.

Anywho, I love San Diego, but probably can't afford to live there. I have a 1.5. year old, and an 11 year old, so safe, family friendly areas are a must. I don't have a problem living in a burb of LA if it fits my criteria as well. Also would consider further North, as again, I'm just ready for a nice change.

I work in I.T., so finding a job shouldn't be horrible, and the wife works in sales.

I know that I haven't given a lot of info regarding house prices, but I'm willing to rent to start out. Being in the Northern burbs of Chicago, 300k gets me a nice house. But again, I'm planning on probably renting to start out.

I've heard of the following areas, and wanted to get some input.

Rancho Santa Margarita
Fallbrook
Encino
Yorba Linda
Chino
San Luis Obispo

I'm comfortable making a 30-45 m commute, and I'm not hung up on living walking distance to the beach. Good schools, safe, and family friendly are the most important items to me.
It really helps if we know where your job(s) are going to be. But, just in case you had offers near all those towns and you had to pick one here's my impression:

RSM: Total family city, soccer, minivans, family amenities, pretty, leafy, landscaped, master planned, lots of HOAs, good schools, safe, far from the 5, close to the 241, probably the cheapest living in south OC, mainly due to being a drive to jobs (unless you actually work in RSM) and farthest from the beach.
Fallbrook: Don't know.
Encino: One of the wealthiest parts of the San Fernando Valley. Older maintained homes. Probably the best of the LAUSD schools but could be iffy. Limited to the 101 and 405 freeways which are horrible commuting "over the hill" to LA. Birmingham, Reseda, and Taft High Schools are no better than mediocre.
Yorba Linda: Don't know specifically but looks like good schools. I have read nothing but good things about it.

California School Performance Maps

Chino: Don't know much either, check the schools, commuting may be bad heading west to the LA area.
SLO: Great place to live if you have a job, and if you have a job, do you have a "Plan B" job if you lose your job? It's small and isolated from bigger employment centers.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It really helps if we know where your job(s) are going to be. But, just in case you had offers near all those towns and you had to pick one here's my impression:

RSM: Total family city, soccer, minivans, family amenities, pretty, leafy, landscaped, master planned, lots of HOAs, good schools, safe, far from the 5, close to the 241, probably the cheapest living in south OC, mainly due to being a drive to jobs (unless you actually work in RSM) and farthest from the beach.
Fallbrook: Don't know.
Encino: One of the wealthiest parts of the San Fernando Valley. Older maintained homes. Probably the best of the LAUSD schools but could be iffy. Limited to the 101 and 405 freeways which are horrible commuting "over the hill" to LA. Birmingham, Reseda, and Taft High Schools are no better than mediocre.
Yorba Linda: Don't know specifically but looks like good schools. I have read nothing but good things about it.

California School Performance Maps

Chino: Don't know much either, check the schools, commuting may be bad heading west to the LA area.
SLO: Great place to live if you have a job, and if you have a job, do you have a "Plan B" job if you lose your job? It's small and isolated from bigger employment centers.
I don't have a job lined up yet, and won't move until I do. My expectation is to move in the Summer, allowing my oldest to finish out the school year.

From the people I know who live out there, the Irvine area is good for those who work in I.T., such as I do. While I would love to live in SD, its a bit out of my budget, and quite frankly, I'm ok with suburban, safe, and boring, while I'm raising kids. Trying to keep my options as far as where we're relocating, and job opportunities will definitely play a part in it. Thanks for your advice!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Let me also say, I'm open to other areas that fit my brief description. The cities I previously mentioned were just a few which I've heard good things about.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:

From the people I know who live out there, the Irvine area is good for those who work in I.T., such as I do. While I would love to live in SD, its a bit out of my budget,
Irvine is not cheap at all - other than the coast, it's probably the most expensive community.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Irvine is not cheap at all - other than the coast, it's probably the most expensive community.
I've heard that, but was looking at Irvine more so because my friends in SoCal have said that is a good place to concentrate my job search.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I've heard that, but was looking at Irvine more so because my friends in SoCal have said that is a good place to concentrate my job search.

Well, the good news is, if you do get a job in Irvine, there are plenty of places of infinite variety and prices to live within easy commuting distance of Irvine.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Well, the good news is, if you do get a job in Irvine, there are plenty of places of infinite variety and prices to live within easy commuting distance of Irvine.
That's good to know, and confirms what I've been told. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California