Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:28 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Please dont believe that BS. Its totally incorrect.

We have some of the best and brightest.

When it comes to the highest percentage of silver and gold medal(public) high schools, California is 3rd behind the teeny-tiny states of Connecticut and Massachusetts.
How is that totally incorrect? Obviously those 6% of top performing schools aren't enough to make up for the other 94% of lower performing schools. Just look at the state graduation rate and other rankings, CA is at the bottom of nearly all of them. Pretty ridiculous to claim CA has such great schools just because 6% do very well yet when you look at the overall picture, CA ranks at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 03:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Mr.C is claiming to have the exact same problem (word for word) in Anchorage now:

//www.city-data.com/forum/alask...chorage-2.html

He sure gets around.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:26 PM

277 posts, read 379,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
Berkeley is Not fun!!!!!!!!

I'm a gay white man (40ish hehehe) and I've been here almost a year now and I can't hook up with anybody. I've done everything I'm supposed to like drive a Prius with Obama 2008 and rainbow stickers on the bumper. I even had a rainbow flag on the front door of my apartment, until the neighbors complained to the manager, and had to take it down. NOBODY GETS THE MESSAGE!

I wave to cute guys as I drive by all the time and I always strike up conversations with guys I think might be 'on the hunt' -but no takers.

Any advice would be appreciated. Am I too aggressive, in the wrong city, wrong strategy?

Also, I don't do clubs or bars- too many wierdos. Please help- I'm not having fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
Anchorage is Not fun!!!!!!!!

I'm a gay white man (40ish hehehe) and I've been up here almost a year now and I can't hook up with anybody. I've done everything I'm supposed to like drive a Prius with Obama 2008 and rainbow stickers on the bumper. I even had a rainbow flag on the front door of my apartment, until the neighbors complained to the manager, and had to take it down. NOBODY GETS THE MESSAGE!

I wave to cute guys as I drive by all the time and I always strike up conversations with guys I think might be 'on the hunt' -but no takers.

Any advice would be appreciated. Am I too aggressive, in the wrong city, wrong strategy?

Also, I don't do clubs or bars- too many wierdos. Please help- I'm NOT having fun
There are people on these forums who get off on trashing places. They pop up in the Bay Area forum, LA forum, California forum. CD where non medicated nut jobs spend their day.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
DAYUM! Gets around, don't he?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM

14 posts, read 32,828 times
Settle down girls, DON'T YOU GET IT?????

Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Please dont believe that BS. Its totally incorrect.

We have some of the best and brightest.

When it comes to the highest percentage of silver and gold medal(public) high schools, California is 3rd behind the teeny-tiny states of Connecticut and Massachusetts.
You are right. I've been reading the crap on here for too long and in some cases forgot to consider the source

Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm just curious why out of state students would be more conservative. I'm sure kids from Washington and Oregon as well as those from the East Coast would be just as likely to be liberal. I doubt that many kids from places like East Moosejaw, MT are going there.
Maybe not East Moosejaw but I personally knew people both while living up there and in San Diego who went there from small towns in Montana and midwestern states so it does happen.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
With California schools performing at what 47 out of 50 in the nation, it wouldn't surprise me that a lot of Ca. residents may not possess the SAT scores to get in. I wasn't saying it's absolutely filled with out of state students. My point was that even with say a 15% out of state student body, that could make the campus somewhat more conservative than the city as those students are most likely more conservative than the residents of the city.
Trust me, california is uber populated, and has plenty of high scoring students. While the public schools are getting worse, there were a glut of kids who came from upscale areas with decent schools (for example where I went to school in granite bay) and a ton of kids from Tony-pricey private schools, like Bellarmine, St. Francis- from the south bay, Moreau catholic in hayward, bishop odowd, etc.

The main reason cal is conservative, is because it consists of studious kids from generally middle to upper middle class areas who are more concerned with their futures than a sizable chunk of their UC counter parts.

As far as the city itself, I'll agree with other posters. Save the gourmet ghetto and the hills its really dumpy. You can get right of 80 on university and you can drive right up to the school and you will see a bum in every store front at night with camp set up. Every year the university does its best to warn incoming freshman of the dangers in town. But usually every year some one dies or gets hurt real bad. Always happens.

Most of the trouble makers are not actually from Berkeley nor are they students, usually a mix of skater-trash, thugs, druggies and homeless , and ne'er do wells trying to vibe the scene. Telegraph board and chains itself up at night, and rightfully so. Unless you are around blake's getting a drink, its god awfully sketchy. Good people watching during the day tho.

Lots of livealbe residential areas, just avoid the student ghetto, the actual ghetto and main road drags filled with bong shops and cannibus clubs and you'll be okay. Just use your street smarts.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How is that totally incorrect? Obviously those 6% of top performing schools aren't enough to make up for the other 94% of lower performing schools. Just look at the state graduation rate and other rankings, CA is at the bottom of nearly all of them. Pretty ridiculous to claim CA has such great schools just because 6% do very well yet when you look at the overall picture, CA ranks at the bottom.

You know how he does with his stats. This is routine by now dude.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Trust me, california is uber populated, and has plenty of high scoring students. While the public schools are getting worse, there were a glut of kids who came from upscale areas with decent schools (for example where I went to school in granite bay) and a ton of kids from Tony-pricey private schools, like Bellarmine, St. Francis- from the south bay, Moreau catholic in hayward, bishop odowd, etc.

The main reason cal is conservative, is because it consists of studious kids from generally middle to upper middle class areas who are more concerned with their futures than a sizable chunk of their UC counter parts.

As far as the city itself, I'll agree with other posters. Save the gourmet ghetto and the hills its really dumpy. You can get right of 80 on university and you can drive right up to the school and you will see a bum in every store front at night with camp set up. Every year the university does its best to warn incoming freshman of the dangers in town. But usually every year some one dies or gets hurt real bad. Always happens.

Most of the trouble makers are not actually from Berkeley nor are they students, usually a mix of skater-trash, thugs, druggies and homeless , and ne'er do wells trying to vibe the scene. Telegraph board and chains itself up at night, and rightfully so. Unless you are around blake's getting a drink, its god awfully sketchy. Good people watching during the day tho.

Lots of livealbe residential areas, just avoid the student ghetto, the actual ghetto and main road drags filled with bong shops and cannibus clubs and you'll be okay. Just use your street smarts.
I don't know. Berkeley has problems but I think it's also somewhat misunderstood by outsiders.

Most of the city is actually pretty nice. The "ghetto" is mainly below San Pablo Ave. and even it is nothing compared to some of the ghettos in Oakland and SF. Even San Diego has worse areas.

I agree with trying to avoid the student "ghetto" areas. They aren't much. The majority of the city is actually nice to quite nice redisential areas that are rather modest and in many cases rather nondescript, resembling any town back east or Seattle in the architecture and overall aesthetics.

It's funny how people think of Telegraph Ave. when Berkeley is mentioned. It's only the very small northern one way part of that long street that most are thinking of past Dwight way, it's nothing special. Most of that street's length is actually in Oakland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California