Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 03:26 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times

Advertisements

I have a question regarding the areas of Santa Cruz and the areas of Sacramento. I am more than likely to end up in Sacramento, but maybe a small chance I go to the Santa Cruz area.
I do know basics like Santa Cruz is an expensive hippie beach town type place with hardly any minorities.. Sacramento being the capitol, parts look real nice, but a weird statistic of under 50% caucasian?? Wow.

This post is to ask about comparison with these cities, but also the area.
Socially, how do the 2 cities differ?
How far do you have to go to run into the heavy cookie cutter sprawl from both cities?
I am currently in the farther Tampa FL/Sarasota exurbs and once I leave here, I never wanna see 55+ communities mixed with cookie cutter new housing developments en masse again. From how they describe it, Sacramento suburbs seem nicer than that, but wanna live as close to the city core as I can if possible or a really near outskirt of the city.

Stuff like that.

Last edited by DoctorRain; 02-15-2011 at 03:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
They are both vastly different so it's really hard to compare them. They are also about 4+ hours away from each other!

Santa Cruz is fairly small, beachy, laid back, liberal, college town surrounded by forested landscape and mountains. It's costlier to live there but it's also very desirable for the landscape and perceived lifestyle. I'm not intimately familiar with all the housing options, but I haven't seen any cookie cutter housing at all. It gets a lot of cool coastal fog in the evenings/morning then often burns off by noon.

Sacramento is a very large city. Most of the big sprawling new housing estates are in the West Sacramento and Natomas areas. There are a lot of non sprawly towns that don't have any new developments (like Fair Oaks/Carmichael and feel very small town). Sac has a huge variety in housing styles depending on the neighborhood. It's very hot and dry in the summers and flat overall (but not a far drive from snow and forests, lakes and rivers).

You might want to post in the Sacramento forum for more specifics on neighborhoods to investigate. There are a lot of them. I still get completely lost in Sac despite living in the region for a couple of years.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
I think plenty have been posted on both. These two communities are about as diametrically opposed as you can get from each other in California.

No brainer for me Santa Cruz gets my vote, coming from a Valley resident for what it's worth.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 02-15-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
They are both vastly different so it's really hard to compare them. They are also about 4+ hours away from each other!

Santa Cruz is fairly small, beachy, laid back, liberal, college town surrounded by forested landscape and mountains. It's costlier to live there but it's also very desirable for the landscape and perceived lifestyle. I'm not intimately familiar with all the housing options, but I haven't seen any cookie cutter housing at all. It gets a lot of cool coastal fog in the evenings/morning then often burns off by noon.

Sacramento is a very large city. Most of the big sprawling new housing estates are in the West Sacramento and Natomas areas. There are a lot of non sprawly towns that don't have any new developments (like Fair Oaks/Carmichael and feel very small town). Sac has a huge variety in housing styles depending on the neighborhood. It's very hot and dry in the summers and flat overall (but not a far drive from snow and forests, lakes and rivers).

You might want to post in the Sacramento forum for more specifics on neighborhoods to investigate. There are a lot of them. I still get completely lost in Sac despite living in the region for a couple of years.
Either way your opinion is something even if you supposedly don't know a ton like you say. I heard how California in general regulates their sprawl in parts or how Los Angeles is the area with the most of it, but they restrict it in the mountain areas and stuff. I realized this kinda thing is more important to me as yrs go on and based on my not so good experiences in cookie cutter housing developments with home owners associations here in FL.

Both SC and Sacramento both seem like good choices in their own ways though.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I can't think of any SIMILARITIES between the two. I personally find Santa Cruz very limiting and would pick Sacramento but it all depends on what you want. Are you a beach person? Or do you like river rafting? Spend a week in each place before you decide. And let us know where you end up. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,261 times
I hate Santa Cruz so my opinion is biased... go with Sacramento

Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Sacramento is a large city while as Santa Cruz is a small college-based city. Santa Cruz is similar to Berkley in some ways. Sacramento is flat and Santa Cruz is hilly. Sacramento is in a valley where Santa Cruz is in the hills and is next to the beach. Also, there aren't alot of big box places in Santa Cruz where as Sacramento has all those cheap sprawl places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California