Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,127,873 times

Advertisements

Interesting critical evaluation by Dr Vedder's team calls into question the value of obtaining advanced degrees, at least from an economic perspective.

Looking at California, one could ask if perhaps we support too large an organization for advanced education. Perhaps it would make sense to lessen the number and/or size of state universities.

Just a different thought here, in consideration of our current budget issues.

http://www.centerforcollegeaffordabi...o_Wal-Mart.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,341,057 times
It sure makes it harder to stand out from the crowd when every bimbo has a college degree too. 4 year degrees are the new high school diploma except they cost a hell of a lot more and if you're really serious about getting ahead, you'll have to get that masters.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,532,615 times
Our education system is due for a major renovation. 90% of the material that is of any use is available for free on the Internet or for purchase through Amazon. Academia as we know it has educated themselves into obsolescence. Where we are woefully lacking is in the area of Trade Education.

The problem with our society is that we think everyone should have a college education.

WRONG!!! A college education is not right or appropriate for everyone.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 02-23-2011 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,846,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Our education system is due for a major renovation. 90% of the material that is of any use is available for free on the Internet or for purchase through Amazon. Academia as we know it has educated themselves into obsolescence. Were we are woefully lacking is in the area of Trade Education.

The problem with our society is that we think everyone should have a college education.

Yep ... even squirrels and dawgs can get degrees today ... on-line, at least

It is an interesting transition time for "higher" education ... I have multiple degrees, undergrad and graduate, from state universities -- that I have never used for any benefit to myself or others ... all I did was use taxpayer dollars (G.I. Bill) to alternately amuse and torture my professors. Interesting thing was I never graduated high school ... just self-educated to the point where I literally was not only qualified entry to university, but also tested out of over 2 years of university credits in about 5 hours ... that I could do that so easily in the early 70's before the internet is revealing.

In today's world, anyone and everyone has such total access to information that it calls for an entire redefinition of "higher learning". After testing ahead, I nevertheless spent years in a difficult path of specialization that could not be acquired individually: classical music performance (-- in spite of having lost over 2/3's normal hearing in the military). So there are certain specialties where there is no substitute for time in place. But wtf good is a degree in music? Then for grad work I specialized in the role of philosophy in health and athletic sciences -- with focus on history of ancient healing (???) WTF good is that? -- that taxpayers should have contributed? Heh, sorry folks

On the other hand, real contemporary Medicine certainly comes to mind as a valid university investment. But, even engineering can be learned and demonstrated outside of formal schooling now. I know several young software engineers who became what they are today after being non-college graduate carpenters and such -- who simply became so fascinated with computers that they learned literally by playing with them -- and are now very well paid!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM

36,631 posts, read 67,212,236 times
I dont know.

This is a very interesting topic and the opinion that college isnt for everyone flies in the face of conventional wisdom these days, but its 100% true.

As stated above, college in fact, is not for everyone.

But I think that its vital for high school students to know what path they want to take and work towards whatever end is best for them.

Expecting kids to make such concrete decisions can be problematic of course, but maybe we are too lenient on kids nowadays flooding them with options but the transition from high school to vocational study is not seamless enough to get enough kids to where they need to be. Perhaps increased apprenticeships? Perhaps increased vocational studies should be incorporated into high schools and community colleges.

We will always need people in occupations that do not require 4-year college degrees but are no less honorable or meaningful. Many of these jobs pay very well too.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM

943 posts, read 1,316,445 times
An advanced degree (specifically a Ph.D.) was necessary in my field and although it was hard to achieve I don't regret it one bit. It has proved valuable to me.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:24 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,401,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Our education system is due for a major renovation. 90% of the material that is of any use is available for free on the Internet or for purchase through Amazon. Academia as we know it has educated themselves into obsolescence. Where we are woefully lacking is in the area of Trade Education.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,413,216 times
Or maybe the problem isn't that too many people are "over-educated". Instead perhaps it's just that too many have been choosing the wrong kinds of degrees, as there are certainly many hi-end jobs that continue to be in great demand. Not to mention, there's such a lot of specialized professions now, that didn't even exist just a few years ago. So apparently not just "education" needs to adapt and keep up, but "educators" do too! Welcome to a world-wide culture that's become almost entirely based on "continuous learning" (and constant "change")!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,127,873 times
If the situation was the selection of wrong degrees, I'd assume this would mean we'd have shortages in some critical areas requiring college degrees.

I don't believe that is currently the case, though I'd welcome anyone who can post evidence to the contrary.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,413,216 times
Well, they're certainly not difficult to look up:
10 Highest Paying Degrees 2011 – Best Majors in Demand Now

Although even if all the degreed jobs in California were in low demand now (not surprising in any down economy), surely you're not suggesting we "dumb down" the population to match (education is after all, about more than simply "job training", yes)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: