Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That reminds me of how many Priuses (sp??) I see here- a lot, and ironically, in the better parts of the valley. In the working class parts of the valley, I see more trucks and SUV"s. No irony there .
No kidding. I am constantly amazed at how SUV's and trucks like to speed up right pass me in the city. I got a laugh out of seeing a man parking his massive GMC truck in the parking lot at Trader Joe's.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
That reminds me of how many Priuses (sp??) I see here- a lot, and ironically, in the better parts of the valley. In the working class parts of the valley, I see more trucks and SUV"s. No irony there .
None at all. Real men don't drive hybrids, dontcha know. They think the size of their "thang" is directly proportional to their fuel consumption!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:00 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,970,898 times
Obama got what he wanted. He shutdown off-shore drilling and will get his $5+ per gallon gas to help push his agenda.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:13 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,180 times
Gas prices are up due to the conflicts in the middle east and market manipulating firms bidding the price up beyond the impact of the crisis. Prices are generally up on all products due to the Federal Reserve printing money to give people all the bailouts/handouts they are asking for and to finance the some odd trillion dollar deficit Obama is racking up Every year. This is occurring via Quantitative Easing 2.0. There was a 1.0 and there will most likely be a QE 3.0 for all the broke states. I again state how its ironic how people often serve the biggest roll in screwing themselves. You want big govt. and wasteful daddy to bail everyone out and give handouts.... ? You'll pay for it .. Everyone will via backdoor inflation. Most just have no idea of this function so they ignorantly look at prices in awe and wonder how they got there. Simple : Look in the mirror.

This is yet another process by how the rich get richer as they maintain ownership of the means of production, commodities, and assets... The appreciate via inflation and the workers' salaries very slowly inflate if it all ....

Enjoy it everyone.. Your worked hard for it by demanding more help from govt... and keep in mind who is at the helm of all of this.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:24 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
I haven't left my island in 8 days ... haven't even turned an ignition key ... wife went over to America just this morning for a visit to grandkid and to stock up on a few supplies ... remarkable how cheap and simple life is for a neanderthal type with a good garden ... enjoy your commutes

Old 02-25-2011, 01:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Obama got what he wanted. He shutdown off-shore drilling and will get his $5+ per gallon gas to help push his agenda.
Gas prices were set to rise long before any of us knew who Obama was. There was a period in the early 2000's, 2003 I believe when gas prices flirted with 5 dollars as well. Then there was Katrina which saw another spike in fuel prices. Someone already mentioned that it has something to do with events taking place in the world which, in my opinion is a much more likely cause. We get the majority of our oil from overseas, not from offshore drilling so that wouldn't make enough difference in prices say over about 5 cents.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:20 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I haven't left my island in 8 days ... haven't even turned an ignition key ... wife went over to America just this morning for a visit to grandkid and to stock up on a few supplies ... remarkable how cheap and simple life is for a neanderthal type with a good garden ... enjoy your commutes
Neanderthal with a computer and Internet access?

Old 02-25-2011, 03:24 PM

469 posts, read 1,175,043 times
If this unrest spreads I wouldn't be surprised to see $6 by the end of the year

Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,543 times
Rising gas prices have little to do with Obama. Blame speculators in the market for this. Just as many people don't get the concept of a publicly traded corporation when they slam those greedy rich people, so do some people not get the whole concept of the markets. It's all traded on open markets. That said, some players do control enough to strongly sway the markets. As for drilling, it is only a half truth to say that it will ease prices. There would be a long lag (several years) between the allowing of more drilling to seeing relief at the pump. Many of our price problems have as much to do with refinery capacity as anything else. We could lower prices merely by increasing refinery capacity. But you know how that goes. Not in my backyard....

Old 02-25-2011, 03:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
If this unrest spreads I wouldn't be surprised to see $6 by the end of the year
No! Don't say that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California