Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,684,862 times

Advertisements

I much rather be here too. But if my job goes out of the window and I can't find employment in California, then looking to relocate elsewhere has to be one of the options on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,249,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
As far as I go, I'm a desert man.
Wherever there's dirt, rocks, and heat, you'll find me there.

Coastline, greenery, they're all yours!!!
http://www.nme.com/boards/images/smilies/ugh.gif (broken link)

Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,338,815 times
Wasn't it Gallup that predicted that the results of the last presidential race would be close? Or that Al Gore would win the presidential election? Or that Kerry would win? On and on....

Meaningless, their continued existence. I don't take them seriously.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,684,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Wasn't it Gallup that predicted that the results of the last presidential race would be close? Or that Al Gore would win the presidential election? Or that Kerry would win? On and on....

Meaningless, their continued existence. I don't take them seriously.

Then California must be in great shape and our unemployment rate is probably 4% right now.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,788,854 times
Honestly if you are educated, you know your field well, and you have the right attitude for the job, then you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job. There are jobs you just have to find them and maybe take jobs that you don't like. California is a fine state and I would rather be there than other states in the US (like jersey).

Don't worry Californians, the strong will survive and the weak will go on welfare.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:59 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,958,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
Honestly if you are educated, you know your field well, and you have the right attitude for the job, then you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job. There are jobs you just have to find them and maybe take jobs that you don't like. California is a fine state and I would rather be there than other states in the US (like jersey).

Don't worry Californians, the strong will survive and the weak will go on welfare.
Sounds like a statewide Survivor episode. The weak going on welfare will make for a very ugly situation.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:00 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,544,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post

I hate to say just the weak go on welfare, so I'll add the unfortunate as well. But it will still effect you. The politicians will not forget that the "weak and unfortunate" not only vote, but outnumber the "strong and fortunate". What do you think the politicians will do to get their votes? Using my magical powers of psychic cognition, I predict they will mount a long and sustained campaign to convince the weak and unfortunate that they are the victims. That they have been taken advantage of by the strong and fortunate. The campaign will go on for so long that before you know it, whole generations will be raised to think the strong and fortunate are evil-doers, greedy, and not paying their share. Kids raised by parents preaching this stuff will blindly follow and regurgitate the same ole stuff. You won't be considered strong and fortunate for long. It'll quickly become greedy and evil. All this because some politicians realized there were a lot of votes amongst the weak and unfortunate, decided to create a party with a platform that focused on them, and then began a long a successful campaign to demonize the strong and fortunate and convince the weak and unfortunate that they are victims.

OK, I'm not a psychic so I'm sure none of this could actually happen...

And then there was this other group of politicians that saw votes amongst the strong and fortunate and planned ways to get their votes...........

Old 03-03-2011, 12:15 PM

943 posts, read 1,318,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Suit yourself.
If you've got the education, you could pretty much write your own ticket anywhere.
If not, you'll either have to move elsewhere to suit your needs, or achieve that education in an area where the wait-lists for classes doesn't put your success further out of reach.

As far as I go, I'm a desert man.
Wherever there's dirt, rocks, and heat, you'll find me there.

Coastline, greenery, they're all yours!!!
I've got the education, the experience, and the savings to last through any period of unemployment that might occur -- though my job is fairly secure. And my house is paid off, so I have neither a mortgage, nor rent.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 PM

433 posts, read 1,616,334 times
I'm in between jobs right now and it's definitley tough out there. No doubt about that. A lot of my business contacts say they just don't have any faith in the CA economy yet and are reluctant to hire. Hopefully things at least stabalize this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California