Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 PM
 
286 posts, read 636,985 times
Reputation: 163

Advertisements

Looking at Google Maps it looks like there's no direct route/road to either of these cities... so, by google maps, it would like like 6 hours for a round about trip to drive.

Is this correct or is there a way directly to Mammoth Lakes from Fresno.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Escondido, CA
1,504 posts, read 6,130,027 times
Reputation: 886
The only route that is more direct than the detour via Bakersfield/Ridgecrest is the shortcut through Yosemite (route 120), and it is closed November through May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Columbia, California
6,664 posts, read 30,506,574 times
Reputation: 5177
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
Looking at Google Maps it looks like there's no direct route/road to either of these cities... so, by google maps, it would like like 6 hours for a round about trip to drive.

Is this correct or is there a way directly to Mammoth Lakes from Fresno.

Thanks,
Yes, air travel. With the pass closed I would have to allow 16 hours each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 AM
 
1,687 posts, read 6,050,794 times
Reputation: 830
The San Joaquin River Trail, a hiking/equestrian/mountain bike route is nearly finished. It runs from Friant Dam outside Fresno thru the river gorge to Devil's Postpile outside Mammoth (about 80 miles) if you have a few travel days.
SJRTC.ORG |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 05:18 PM
 
Location: SoCal
14,530 posts, read 19,986,484 times
Reputation: 10539
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
Looking at Google Maps it looks like there's no direct route/road to either of these cities...
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
The only route that is more direct than the detour via Bakersfield/Ridgecrest is the shortcut through Yosemite (route 120), and it is closed November through May.

That is why Mammoth Mountain is the private skiing area for Los Angeles only! People on the western side of the Sierras are better off skiing Yosemite (Badger Pass) if they want close and small, or if they're going to fly they might as well skip Mammoth and ski at the Lake Tahoe areas.

Fisherman from Frisco are of course welcome to share our Mammoth Lakes fishing. The bond among fishermen is closer than regional competitive differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Escondido, CA
1,504 posts, read 6,130,027 times
Reputation: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
The San Joaquin River Trail, a hiking/equestrian/mountain bike route is nearly finished. It runs from Friant Dam outside Fresno thru the river gorge to Devil's Postpile outside Mammoth (about 80 miles) if you have a few travel days.
SJRTC.ORG |
I'd expect that the trail would be under 5 feet of snow most of the time. What's the maximum elevation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 07:59 PM
 
286 posts, read 636,985 times
Reputation: 163
Well, I was thinking about taking a job there but if it takes 6 hours to get to anywhere significant then I'll pass on the job. Also, given the difficulty getting supplies it's probably expensive as sin to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Escondido, CA
1,504 posts, read 6,130,027 times
Reputation: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
Well, I was thinking about taking a job there but if it takes 6 hours to get to anywhere significant then I'll pass on the job. Also, given the difficulty getting supplies it's probably expensive as sin to live there.
Define "significant". You're 3 hours from Ridgecrest and 3 hours from Carson City. Both significant cities. And it's not that difficult to get there. 395 is a nice wide freeway that's open year round. (As opposed to, say, Big Bear, where you can't get without chains 3+ months a year.) So it shouldn't be very expensive to live. I'd guess $800/month to rent a studio, and a 10-20% premium on groceries and gasoline, compared to large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 6,050,794 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
People on the western side of the Sierras are better off skiing Yosemite (Badger Pass) if they want close and small, or if they're going to fly they might as well skip Mammoth and ski at the Lake Tahoe areas.
Instead of Badger Pass a lot of Fresno area skiers go to China Peak.
http://www.skichinapeak.com/
China Peak? Who knew? : Slope Dope
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
I'd expect that the trail would be under 5 feet of snow most of the time. What's the maximum elevation?
I'd have to doublecheck a topo for the exact number but I believe it tops out somewhere around 10,000 feet. I never said it was easy, just that it was a Trans-Sierra route between Mammoth and Fresno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top