Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 05:12 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No it doesn't, a small business can succeed for all sorts of reasons. Some may be horribly run but just lack appropriate competitors in their market. Some may just be luck. Some may be run with daddy dollars. And so on...

In what sense is today's playing field lopsided in favor of big corporations?

And most of today's large corporations started as small business that were created by the middle class. They grew into larger companies because they were superior business folks....

By the way Walmart was created in a time when there were large competitors, yet today it has them all bet. Perhaps, just perhaps, Walmart is very good at what they do and that is why they destroy small businesses that try to compete with them? And since you believe the playing field is lopsided, what would stop this story form happening all over again today, that is a small business being created in a market with large competitors that would decades later dominate them all?

Why not? They pay more than small businesses....

In terms of small businesses being important, I never suggested small businesses aren't important. I said I don't understand the reverence people have for "small business" when most of them are crap.

Looks like we've arrive to the point where we'll have to agree to disagree then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 05:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Looks like we've arrive to the point where we'll have to agree to disagree then.
Or rather the point where you've made a number of anti-corporate remarks but can't justify them....

Old 09-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Or rather the point where you've made a number of anti-corporate remarks but can't justify them....
No.

Trying to attempt a constructive conversation with you have always been a waste of time. You flip flop worse than that guy named Romney.

Since my last response to you, I was scrubbing my kitchen clean. THAT was actually a much more productive use of my time than wasting it with you.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Trying to attempt a constructive conversation with you have always been a waste of time. You flip flop worse than that guy named Romney.
Then don't start one. My positions are rather consistent, any perceived "flip-flop" is your lack of understanding.

But as usual, you guys have the time and desire to write a vacuous post instead actually explicating the claims you make...

Old 09-03-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Then don't start one. My positions are rather consistent, any perceived "flip-flop" is your lack of understanding.

But as usual, you guys have the time and desire to write a vacuous post instead actually explicating the claims you make...

Suddenly, I'm reminded of observing a homeless bum beating up a stop sign because the man claimed it ran into him.

On a side note, my kitchen smells great. No trace of B.S.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Sorry is it not the employees burden to earn enough to live on that is just a line used by business to keep their employees down and pay then next to nothing. If a person can not live on that wage that is hardly overpaying someone in fact it is underpaying. Again business do not care about their employees welfare it is all about me me me it is selfish and greedy. If your business is not making a big profit it is not your employees fault it is your fault because you can not grow your business and make more profit your employee should not have to suffer because you are not a good business owner. I agree with you that people should not try to be supporting families on min wage but the thing is min wag is not even enough to support 1 person let alone a family. Not everyone can advance for these reasons.

1. Some positions just have not way to advance
2. Their are not higher enough positions for everyone to advance
3. Not everyone is smart enough or has the skills to do anything besides basic jobs.
I disagree almost completely.

#1 - of course this is true. If you clean toilets, you can only get so good at it. You can't be promoted to senior toilet cleaner because the job doesn't deserve it.

#2 - I don't believe it. There are. People prove it all the time.

#3 - Possible. But that doesn't mean every other job needs to overpay. Not everyone deserves a "good life."

Old 09-03-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, and yet if a society doesn't provide a living to a large spectrum of society there will be blood in the streets.

Someone still needs to subsist when they have an "entry level job"....

Regardless, "minimum wage" is just an arbitrary number. The problem here is that the distribution of wealth is becoming increasingly lopsided. While the effects of this is most visible in the bottom 30% or so, it is starting to effect everyone but the very top.
I agree that there will be blood in the street if a large spectrum is miserable for too long. We see the consequences. But a higher minimum wage isn't the answer. The governments being overthrown this year aren't due to too low minimum wages. It is oppressive governments, no individual liberties, and governments that protect the ruling class. Minimum wages aren't the issue.

You can subsist in most parts of the US in an entry level job. You may not be comfortable, but you will subsist.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Lifeguard is a part time job that is only for summers that saves people lives as can be dangerous to do so they can afford to pay a great wage. You can not really compare a part time summer job to full time jobs.
Many pools are open year round and employ full time lifeguards. Except for beach lifegaurds, which are a small portion of the people who have this job (and are paid much better), pool lifeguarding is a "cush" job. It takes $250 of Red Cross training. You sit in the chair for 30 minutes, then 30 minutes off. Repeat. It is not dangerous. The job requires responsibility and a bit of diligence. It deserves more pay than cooking french fries or cleaning bathrooms because you need to be a good swimmer and must attain certification. But it isn't dangerous.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I disagree almost completely.

#1 - of course this is true. If you clean toilets, you can only get so good at it. You can't be promoted to senior toilet cleaner because the job doesn't deserve it.

#2 - I don't believe it. There are. People prove it all the time.

#3 - Possible. But that doesn't mean every other job needs to overpay. Not everyone deserves a "good life."
Sure there are people who are poor work their way up but not everyone will or can. Right now we have a bunch of college graduates who can not find jobs in their fields because there are just not enough jobs available. What you think happens if we add a bunch of more college grads to that group? There are only certain amount of job openings for each job position there is not infinite job openings. Some one has to work these min wage jobs. Having enough to pay your bills and be able to eat and save a little is not a "good life." A good life is being able to live in a big house take many vacations and enough to retire on.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Many pools are open year round and employ full time lifeguards. Except for beach lifegaurds, which are a small portion of the people who have this job (and are paid much better), pool lifeguarding is a "cush" job. It takes $250 of Red Cross training. You sit in the chair for 30 minutes, then 30 minutes off. Repeat. It is not dangerous. The job requires responsibility and a bit of diligence. It deserves more pay than cooking french fries or cleaning bathrooms because you need to be a good swimmer and must attain certification. But it isn't dangerous.
Your post before said most companies pay well for reasonably important jobs. There must not be a lot of those kinds of jobs because very few businesses pay that kind of pay your son gets. That is good for your son but just because he is getting paid well does not prove that a bunch of small businesses are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California