Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
California is a living hell, which is waiting to implode. People can dream all they want and have all of the "positive" thoughts, however, California is doomed. Financially, socially, etc. The dream of 40+ years ago is not available for the vast majority of people in the world. Anyone thinking they can live the "California Dream" is fooling themselves. The VAST MAJORITY cannot and will not. Sure, you have a success story here and there, however, the facts and truth shows you cannot live this "dream." Its not socially and, moreover, economically feasible.
Sorry to say this, but I don't care (much) about the vast majority. I only care about my family. We ARE living the "California Dream".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306
California is a living hell, which is waiting to implode. People can dream all they want and have all of the "positive" thoughts, however, California is doomed. Financially, socially, etc. The dream of 40+ years ago is not available for the vast majority of people in the world. Anyone thinking they can live the "California Dream" is fooling themselves. The VAST MAJORITY cannot and will not. Sure, you have a success story here and there, however, the facts and truth shows you cannot live this "dream." Its not socially and, moreover, economically feasible.
I dunno, life seems pretty good, we just had a week re-creation in the fine California desert, back here the weather is warm, but not hot, the peppers are coming up in the field, the new calves are romping about. Lots of new calves out there, lots of branding coming up.

With all the rain the weeds are coming in strong, lots of mowing and tilling to do.

The creeks are up, should be no problems with irrigation this year.

The snowpack in the Sierra is deep, plenty of water for Central Valley irrigation.

Twice as much cotton acres have been planted this year than last year, the price is strong.

We saw several new oil wells getting drilled out by Maricopa.

Seems like a fine state of the state.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
When is Phil leaving?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

It's funny when bitter, miserable people who lead unsatisfying lives try to make themselves feel better by painting this huge doomsday picture to try to convince us that we all live as miserably as they do.
Why do so many down and out bottom-feeding people seem to congregate on internet forums?

Thumbs up to the OP. I agree with your perspective 100%.
I too speak English, am not rich, don't live in a ghetto and don't battle traffic for hours on end every day. I even manage to find quality time with my wife and family and friends.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
I'm pretty happy.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Funny, all three of my kids are doing just fine.. Living the California Dream, and heck, so is my wife and I. We planted fruit trees, she gardened, I went for a 150 mile motorcycle ride through the sunny green hills along flowing rivers... Nice Day, here in California.

I talked to a couple who had trailered their horses all the way from Missouri to ride here, as the weather was so miserable in Missouri.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
If no one points out a problem and recognizes it is a problem, it's hard to fix a problem now isn't it.
Complaining ! = pointing out a problem.
Ignoring problems and not giving a sh*t about something because your family is fine is a good way for problems to come knocking at your door.

As for the utopian mindset, it's easy to put your head in the clouds when their is deficit spending. I'd love for the FULL reality of matters to be realized here and now (No more borrowing allowed) and you come to understand the magnitude of your problems facing your beloved state. No more bailouts. No more borrowing.

So, yes.. your mindset is one of conscious denial of reality. It is the mindset of a lot of people.. Since there are no real world consequences for having this mindset, you put your self-righteous nose in the air, ignore all of the real problems in the world, and call those who point them out haters/complainers.

There's no consequences in doing so, thus why not? It's the mindset of a child. A well-to-do employed child whose bubble of a world and family is doing just fine. But its funny how this fantasy land of yours exists due to the future burden you are placing on your children (deficit) spending and the huge tax burden you place on your fellow hard working person... Oh, but the trees .. the nature .. Yeah, it exists, did exist and will exists whether or not California as an economic hub does or does not exist.

So pray you continue to be gainfully employed. Pray companies continue to feel this is the place to be. Pray that the means by which you live here continue to be here .. because if they leave/if you aren't gainfully employed .. The beauty will still be here. Your bubble just wont.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing -> All that is necessary for problems to triumph is for good men/women to do nothing

Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
Research has shown that people who are happy, are generally happy wherever they are and whatever they do and those who are unhappy are just unhappy. This is within normal limits. Look at what is going on in Japan, that would make one unhappy and it is expected.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
If no one points out a problem and recognizes it is a problem, it's hard to fix a problem now isn't it.
Complaining ! = pointing out a problem.
Ignoring problems and not giving a sh*t about something because your family is fine is a good way for problems to come knocking at your door.

As for the utopian mindset, it's easy to put your head in the clouds when their is deficit spending. I'd love for the FULL reality of matters to be realized here and now (No more borrowing allowed) and you come to understand the magnitude of your problems facing your beloved state. No more bailouts. No more borrowing.

So, yes.. your mindset is one of conscious denial of reality. It is the mindset of a lot of people.. Since there are no real world consequences for having this mindset, you put your self-righteous nose in the air, ignore all of the real problems in the world, and call those who point them out haters/complainers.

There's no consequences in doing so, thus why not? It's the mindset of a child. A well-to-do employed child whose bubble of a world and family is doing just fine. But its funny how this fantasy land of yours exists due to the future burden you are placing on your children (deficit) spending and the huge tax burden you place on your fellow hard working person... Oh, but the trees .. the nature .. Yeah, it exists, did exist and will exists whether or not California as an economic hub does or does not exist.

So pray you continue to be gainfully employed. Pray companies continue to feel this is the place to be. Pray that the means by which you live here continue to be here .. because if they leave/if you aren't gainfully employed .. The beauty will still be here. Your bubble just wont.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing -> All that is necessary for problems to triumph is for good men/women to do nothing
I work for a company based in Europe, with sales around the world. U.S. sales are small minority of the total. So the economy of California has little effect on my job security. Even the economy of the U.S. as a whole has not much effect.

Of course nothing is sure, so I have enough money set aside to live without a salary, without making any sacrifices in lifestyle, for a long time -- several years.

I'm not particularly worried about my personal situation.

But fundamentally, I agree with 00molavi: People are in their nature to be optimistic or pessimistic, regardless of what is really happening. I've been optimistic most of my life, and I have had a great life.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
I work for a company based in Europe, with sales around the world. U.S. sales are small minority of the total. So the economy of California has little effect on my job security. Even the economy of the U.S. as a whole has not much effect.

Of course nothing is sure, so I have enough money set aside to live without a salary, without making any sacrifices in lifestyle, for a long time -- several years.

I'm not particularly worried about my personal situation.

But fundamentally, I agree with 00molavi: People are in their nature to be optimistic or pessimistic, regardless of what is really happening. I've been optimistic most of my life, and I have had a great life.
Pointing out problems ! = complaining. If no one pointed it out, the problems couldn't be fixed. If problems weren't fixed by people who pointed them out, your quality of life would be much lessor. There is no problem w/ being optimistic while pointing out problems and accepting rational/fair ways of solving them. People play different roles in life. It is in a person's nature to be optimistic at times and pessimistic in others.... Neither has to do w/ rational/logical thought process. Enjoy your great life. California is a great state (Natural beauty) w/ some severe budget/economic problems. Regardless of whether or not people choose to be pessimistic/optimistic, the reality wont change much.

So yeah, I agree w/ your post. One cannot realistically deny the beauty of California. In the same light, one cannot realistically deny the budget/fiscal mess it is in (and why) either. The problems that are pointed out about CA center on :
> High taxation
> Impact of high taxation on the local economy
This is not complaining. It is a fact that they are high and the points of discourse center on matters of economics... Not on how bright and sunny the weather is. The sun rises and the weather/geography is great regardless if taxes are high and taxes are high regardless of weather/geography. The two issues are unrelated and have no reason being mangled together... Namely to the degree that people say : The sun is out. The geography is great. Stop pointing out the fiscal mess/taxation issues. One can enjoy the weather/geography and deal w/ someone trying to rob them w/o being pessimistic.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 03-16-2011 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California