Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherpopcorn View Post
Young people use "Cali" frequently.
That's because they're illiterate ,like the poster here, who "defiantly" seeks a better climate. Perhaps he/she meant "definitely?" Perhaps they should develop some salable skills before moving to another state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 AM

277 posts, read 379,601 times
This forum shows how old people who post here are, if you ever talk to younger California residents they say "Cali" all the time. Some of you sound like angry geezers.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
That's because they're illiterate ,like the poster here, who "defiantly" seeks a better climate. Perhaps he/she meant "definitely?" Perhaps they should develop some salable skills before moving to another state?
Are people in Philadelphia who say "Philly" illiterate?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
This forum shows how old people who post here are, if you ever talk to younger California residents they say "Cali" all the time. Some of you sound like angry geezers.
Cali sounds moronic, like a wannabe hipster.

If Cali is fine, then why not Fornia?

As in, "Suggestions for 21 y/o movin to FORNIA!"

Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How much is "quite a bit"?

What's a "decent job?

What pay would you expect?

What housing budget do you think you'll have?

Exactly. Real questions.

The OP is 21 so they probably think 5K is quite a bit of money, it isn't.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM

246 posts, read 421,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
Some younger Californians, the key is some. The ones who do are typically those who follow in an Alpha's shadow and or are desperate to be cool, especially younger white Californians who are often a tad bid jealous of their minority friends when it comes to the cool dept and are always desperately trying to keep up.
Tragically, they just look pathetic and sad.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM

573 posts, read 970,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post
hey guys, I'm currently in good ol upstate ny (where we have the four seasons within a week!bleh!)

Im looking to move out to cali early summer. I would like to get input of which area would best fit me (ive never been out west)

I wish to find an apartment to share with some college kids, where i could bike most places! I also defiantly desire beauty such as hiking trails, nice parks, amazing landscapes and CLOSE TO THE BEACH Nice nitelife a plus as well

An area with descent jobs is also on my list. I have quite a bit of money saved and so on so im not to worried about finding a job as soon as i get there. I will be completing my associates degree in liberal arts (dont hate)
(I am also looking into park ranger internships/careers)

ive read countless threads about the type of areas, and san diego sounds like a nice place and expensive. However for some reason, San Luis Obispo calls my name. Seems like a nice place to start off.

appreciate it guys
What you say you want would easily require you to have a pretty good job, I'd guesstimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 35k to 45k annually. I've never been to California, but I can tell you that beach front property or even rentals near any beach tend to be significantly higher in most places. You would also need to figure out moving costs. It's not just throwing all your things in a car and driving out there. Can you afford to fly? Do you have money for a security deposit and first and last months rent? What about utilities like gas and electric. Transportation is also quite important. A car is a pretty necessary thing in most places you could live in, in the U.S. From your post it doesn't sound like you have a job lined up. You do realize California has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country (12.7%). Do you have any skills? Will you be attending school?

If I were you I'd check out a few real estate sites to see what the rentals are like. I'd also check out sites like craigslist to see who may be looking for room-mates.

How much money do you have saved? You would be surprised how quickly you could burn through 20,000.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Cali sounds moronic, like a wannabe hipster.

If Cali is fine, then why not Fornia?

As in, "Suggestions for 21 y/o movin to FORNIA!"
Is it really that serious? Hipsters tend to be the people who get upset over things like this. "Hey man it's San Francisco not frisco" "Hey man, it's CaliFORNIA, Cali is on Colombia". Hipsters think their opinions mean more than they really do and that somehow they are the REAL people. They disgust me.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
Some younger Californians, the key is some. The ones who do are typically those who follow in an Alpha's shadow and or are desperate to be cool, especially younger white Californians who are often a tad bid jealous of their minority friends when it comes to the cool dept and are always desperately trying to keep up.
Tragically, they just look pathetic and sad.
Quite judgmental considering you're pre judging a large demographic based on your own personal issues with the name. There is nothing more annoying than holier than thou elitists that feel the need to be a language nazi. Is something else going on in your life where something so trivial bothers you this much.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
Young people do stupid things all the time. I know, because I was one of those young people doing stupid things.

You must not be young because I notice you didn't use the spelling geezer's for the plural. That's the newer hip way of making plurals, by adding an apostrophe-s. And here's the new hip math: (Q) What's the sum of 24 and 32? (A) How should I know? I don't have my calculator with me. Just a second, I'll tweet it.

Only morons call California Cali. Educated people know that Cali is a city in the South American nation of Colombia. Old people can even spell Colombia correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California