Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see them in their local area? Today I visited the Chula Vista marina and what was supposed to be low tide. The water in this part of San Diego Bay is normally very calm, even on fairly breezy days. It was quite turbulent and churned up. In the hour and a half I was there, I watched the tide come in then go out 4 times. At low tide the water reached the hide tide line twice. I watched 24 hours worth of tidal action in one hour.

Anyone else notice the effects of the Tsunami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 05:39 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Did anyone see them in their local area? Today I visited the Chula Vista marina and what was supposed to be low tide. The water in this part of San Diego Bay is normally very calm, even on fairly breezy days. It was quite turbulent and churned up. In the hour and a half I was there, I watched the tide come in then go out 4 times. At low tide the water reached the hide tide line twice. I watched 24 hours worth of tidal action in one hour.

Anyone else notice the effects of the Tsunami?
Sacramento New Stations reported live beginning around 7:30 a.m. PST from Santa Cruz to Crescent City, CA (375 miles of Coastline).

Sacramento Stations have good footage of clear tidal, surge action affecting Santa Cruz Harbor were numerous watercraft of all sizes, including commercial fishing boats crashing into each other, along with parts of the marina and docks being destroyed and crashing upon boats. They first surge in Santa Cruz started around 8:00 a.m. and continued pushing and pulling out debris and craft to sea. See CNN link below.

Crescent City - one man swept to sea.

This is a big event for these harbors, nothing compared to Japan, but a significant historical event for the California Coast.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/11/tsunami/index.html

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-11-2011 at 05:53 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Seismoligists have been predicting these big ones for some time now, and the West Coast is predicted to have even a bigger one in the near future. The deep shelf of the West Coast from Baja CA to Washington St is very susceptical to a disaster 100 time that of this Japanese event. If you check the inland depth of the undderwater charts you can see where they predict the coastal areas will drop off the face of the earth over a 100 miles inland. Everything will be gone.
2 Weeks ago it was New Zealand now who's next. Are Californian's prepared or does anyone really care out there.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Seismoligists have been predicting these big ones for some time now, and the West Coast is predicted to have even a bigger one in the near future. The deep shelf of the West Coast from Baja CA to Washington St is very susceptical to a disaster 100 time that of this Japanese event. If you check the inland depth of the undderwater charts you can see where they predict the coastal areas will drop off the face of the earth over a 100 miles inland. Everything will be gone.
2 Weeks ago it was New Zealand now who's next. Are Californian's prepared or does anyone really care out there.
It's true, but it's so much worse than that! It's not just California facing imminent peril. It's the whole WORLD!!!
As the moon reaches its perigee with Earth on March 19th of this year, a gravitational slingshot effect will take place that will fling the moon out of orbit and into the snatches of the all-powerful gravity of our sun. Due to the balanced alignment of the rest of the planets in our solar system, when the moon reaches the sun, it will "bounce" back off the sun's surface and head directly back towards Earth (please read about "Planet Billiards" in the Journal of Deep Space Science article in the August 2003 edition). When it hits Earth, it will smack us dead center along the equator. This will send the planet hurtling through space at an amazing velocity of 2,236,739 miles per hour (2,236,134 miles faster than a Dodge Viper on a straight track). This will put Earth on a trajectory that leads right into Uranus.

It's gonna hurt!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Footage of the Tsunami effect on SF Bay (Emeryville, CA). Bay Bridge in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDCLwblkY

Old 03-11-2011, 07:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
If you check the inland depth of the undderwater charts you can see where they predict the coastal areas will drop off the face of the earth over a 100 miles inland. Everything will be gone.
I've tried to make sense of this, but I can't.

• Inland depth of underwater charts?

• "Coastal areas will drop off the face of the earth over a 100 miles inland"? When did 100 miles inland become "coastal areas"?

I'm so confused.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
The guy should be arrested for syntax abuse.

Just so you Southern California folks can sleep well tonight. In 1816 or thereabouts, a tsunami deposited a boat on the steps of the Santa Barbara Mission.

It is thought that came from a quake in the channel islands that caused an underwater landslide.

Now, for the good part. If that happened again, the resulting tsunami would range the coast from west of Santa Barbara to San Diego. It would reach far inland at Santa Monica, Redondo Beach etc. with an estimated 300,000 casualties..

This was all on the TeeVee one night.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:12 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
The most powerful earthquakes tend to be closer to the North or South Poles, for whatever reason.

I wouldn't worry about CA having an 8.0 or better, I'd worry more about Washington state, BC or Alaska. Didn't Alaska set all records back in 1964 with their 9.2 quake?

Towards the South Pole there's those awesome tremors in Chile.

Last edited by tijlover; 03-11-2011 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
9.1 is fairly impressive. What is more important than Richter Scale is type of fault, normal, strikeslip or reverse.

A 6 on a strikeslip is likely worse than an 8 on a normal fault.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Up here in Humboldt county the surge was quiet strong, a good 7 to 8 feet high. Crescent City harbor was wiped out and Humboldt bay suffered damage to its docks. The surge pushed up the Mad River here in Mckinleyville 4 times and there were a lot of people taking video of the surge up the river. I had to work, the sun was shining and I had yards to mow, but I was a few blocks away from the ocean all the time and it was very loud.

This is a link to the you tube videos of the tsunami surging up the Mad River.

you tube mad river tsunami - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California