Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 10:52 PM

23 posts, read 90,663 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a job as a physician in northern California and found a job listing in Modesto that I'm considering applying for. The headhunter I'm working with told me that I could live closer to San Francisco and commute if I want. Then again, she also told me that Modesto is a very nice, pretty community. From reading on these forums it seems like Modesto is a pretty bad place to live, so I don't know whether I should believe the headhunter regarding either of her statements. Is it reasonable to live in the east Bay area and commute? How far away from Modesto do I have to get to be in a safe area that is close to shopping, entertainment, and social activities for a young professional?

Just so people don't ask why I'm looking in Modesto, I'm having a hard time trying to find the type of work I want in more desirable cities. I look at this as a starter job to work my way into a more desirable position in a better city.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 01:14 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
There are perfectly reasonable places to live in Modesto.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:50 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,461,004 times
There are some fine upscale neighborhoods in Modesto (primarily parts of the North side). I would seriously consider looking at Oakdale. I lived there as a kid and its the best town in the Central Valley and is only 15 miles from Modesto. You can be to the shopping and dining of Modesto in 20-25 minutes tops. Seriously, its a fantastic town to put roots down in.

Oakdale, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-12-2011, 04:55 PM

764 posts, read 1,414,796 times
I would suggest Oakdale if you didn't want to live in Modesto.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM

457 posts, read 1,177,324 times
I'd at least apply for the job and see if you get it. It's a start in the job field I would assume.

I don't know where you are coming from or what your personal life is like. If you have a family oakdale and Ripon are great little towns near modesto. If you crave more of urban life you could commute from the outer east bay (livermore/pleasanton/Dublin) to modesto. Granted those cities are also suburban but defnately feel more like a city than a small farming town. The commute would be 45-60 I would guess from the tri valley area depending on traffic. You would be closer to s.f., Oakland, san Jose however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California