U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 PM

4,795 posts, read 11,896,275 times

Advertisements

Can any Californian tell me what highway this is at the end of the movie Terminator. Watch the highway right before the end credits. You'll have to click on the link due embedding being disabled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgLSS...eature=related
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:31 PM

1,503 posts, read 5,920,088 times
This does not look like any Californian highway I know. The whole layout is wrong. The landscape is reminiscent of Mojave Desert, trees are Joshua trees, which grow in certain spots in CA, AZ, and NV. Mountains are too high to be anything but Sierras. But Sierras are to the west of Mojave Desert, not to the east.

It's either a fictional location (shot on a set) or it's not in California. The scene just prior to that highway is set in Mexico (notice the sign that says "Pemex").

Old 03-12-2011, 09:39 PM

6,390 posts, read 8,975,434 times
The mountains are desert mountains, not the Sierra, my guess, the J trees were in pots, and the mountains are in Mexico.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:22 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,067,207 times
I've always wondered this too, so did some searching. According to IMDB, the gas station was in Sun Valley, California. I always thought the mountains in the last scene looked like a matte painting, and IMDB lists Ken Marschall as the matte painter for Terminator. I found this link showing that it was indeed a matte painting by Ken Marschall: KMarshall

I also found this description from the Fantasy 2 Film Effects site:

"One day towards the end of filming THE TERMINATOR, James Cameron realized they needed a missing crucial wide shot of Sarah Connors' jeep driving down the road to end the movie. He went to the outskirts of Lancaster, CA with VFX Supervisor Gene Warren, Jr., VFX DP Chris Warren, Producer Gale Ann Hurd, and Ms. Hurd's secretary, along with the hero jeep to grab the shot guerilla-style. They were in such a remote location without traffic, the group even built scaffolding onto one lane of the road to capture the iconic drive-away scene. Moments before the first take, the first car to appear in 20 minutes, was a California Highway Patrolman who stopped to inquire if they had a filming permit. Flustered, Gene told the policeman they were shooting a student film, and amazingly they got away with it, as long as they promised to move the scaffolding to the road shoulder! The shot (with the Secretary doubling as Linda Hamilton) appears in the final cut of the 1984 movie - composited with a brooding sky matte painting and blowing dust elements."

Last edited by C2ShiningC; 03-12-2011 at 11:56 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 AM

1,503 posts, read 5,920,088 times
Minus the mountains, this could certainly be the outskirts of Lancaster, there are hundreds of miles of desert two-lanes with Joshua trees off the shoulder in that area.

Quote:
. According to IMDB, the gas station was in Sun Valley, California.
I saw that on IMDB too, but the background of the gas station does not look anything like Sun Valley. It's more like Lancaster again. Maybe IMDB is wrong.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:32 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,067,207 times
Yeah, I thought the same thing, I've been looking at some Google Street views around that area, not even close. Luckily, others have done this same search, and now I know IMDB is wrong.

The gas station is located at 37202 90th Street East, Littlerock and/or Palmdale, CA: "The Super Store 6, aka the gas station from Crossroads, the final scene in the first Terminator movie, and ZZ Top’s “Gimme All Your Lovin’” music video, is located at 37202 90th Street East, at the corner of 90th Street East and Avenue S, in Palmdale. Some maps also list the gas station as being located in the town of Littlerock. In Crossroads, Ben’s car was parked at the pump located in the northeast corner of the station, in the area denoted with a pink “X” in the above aerial view. At the end of The Terminator, Sarah Connor was parked in front of the station’s western-most pump, in the area denoted with a blue “X” in the above aerial view. ZZ Top’s “Gimme All Your Lovin’” music video was filmed in the exact same spot that was used in The Terminator."

The “Crossroads” Gas Station | IAMNOTASTALKER

Old 06-17-2015, 10:46 PM

20 posts, read 27,619 times
It's Sun Village, not Sun Valley...It is right past the gas station...

Old 10-06-2017, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,244 times
I know exactly where this gas station is because I was living there when they filmed it. It is on 90th St., East and Avenue E , which is Lancaster California.

I lived on 90th need about a half a block down and I used to go to this gas station all the time.

And I remember them filming and we couldn't get very close when we tried to walk up the street to see what was going on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California