Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM

38 posts, read 106,260 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am new to this forum but from reading other post I have surmised that there is a wealth of info here, with helpful people willing to comment
My husband is (Hispanic Mexican) and looks Euro and I am of African Heritage. We are hoping to relocate to Mendocino County (Only county with a GMO ban) I am a Special Education Teacher K-12 and also certified to teach English to English Language Learners and Standard English. My husband is also a teacher of secondary History(High School or Community College)

We would like to locate an area in Mendo which is friendly to Christians, Hispanic's and AA's. ( I'm from 337 Louisiana and want to avoid that mentality) We are looking to purchase land or a small house, with enough area for a sustainable garden. Employment is important- so a population with high child count will be great or a school district that is hiring. Also, looking for a place with reasonable home prices (250,000 or less). We really hope to become contributing citizens to a supportive city. Please post your suggestions of cities or comments. Feel free to comment about anything you like, Negative or Positive

Thank you for your time,

Motherpopcorn

Last edited by Motherpopcorn; 03-20-2011 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 PM

anyone?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:00 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Hi;
I just typed a very long reply and it got deleted, sadly.
So quickly, I will recap:
Mendocino is very rural with a very depressed economy-logging and marijuana. With a little help from wineries, tourism and the arts.
Ukiah population 20k is the largest town; it has one community college which is very small.
I'ts an hour inland from the coast.
Mendocino village is a great artist's enclave, but again, tourism and transplant money are the only sources of income to speak of.

I am not saying you could not find work-just that it would be tough.
You should look up all the mendo school districts, and search job listings.
Property is high, as it is everywhere in CA. Esp. when mendo does not have the economy to support the housing costs. Looking around, and renting for awhile, is a better bet in moving to the area, IMO.

I suggest Sonoma county for you instead.
No, it does not have a GMO ban (yet-_) but it is wildly progressive including organic and/or sustainable farms and related movements. It has a great balance of rural with cultural and proximity to larger city amenities, and, bi racial couple would not be an issue at all, whatsoever. IMO
Sonoma county has been the forefront of many movements. Italy's 'slow food awards' gave Sonoma city it's only USA award, thus far. Has one or two whole foods stores and a coulpe of community health markets.

Santa Rosa is the largest city; over 100k. It has a highly regarded (nationwide), community college. SR junior college-look at their sustainable agriculture programs for one-their school farm is an indication of the region at large. Sebastopol has incredible businesses-many of the holistic herb and tea products you see on the market are based there or originally were founded there. It's a very small, apple growing rural crunch hippie town, but with plenty of amenities and resources in it's own right. (It has it's own whole foods, yet has only around 11k people, to give you an idea)

Petaluma has a classic downtown area-older homes nad buildings-has grown alot, with a few rural areas around town. Also has a whole foods.

Sonoma city itslef is i believe around 20k population. It's the hub of the wine industry tourism-so lots of great shops, boutiques and restaurants. Really pretty town. Fabulous local food and markets.

Rhonert park is where you can find sonoma state university.

Healdsburg is the furthest town north in sonoma county, almost in mendo. Very cute and touristy-wonderful town and the towns of windsor and cloverdale nearby have more affordable housing. Windsor is one of those small bedroom community towns that has a regarded school district, for example. but healdsburg is the place with charm and fewer cookie cutter homes, to give you an idea.

Russian River, north of sebastopol and south west of healdsburg,is a series of small towns-former resort places from turn of the century-ie, vacation cabins-very small towns, not much in the way of jobs, but cheaper real estate and commutable to santa rosa in some cases.

All of these towns would be places to search for school district jobs.
You can also extend your search to parts of napa county and novato city in marin [just south of sonoma county] as far as school districts within commuting distance.

Re real estate: the area is crazy priced, as mentioned. better to rent and look around.
You could find an older small home on a large lot in west santa rosa which still has farmland, on the way to sebastopol. but the area is hit or miss, some places being dodgy....you will have to look around. when I mention the santa rosa west property, I am thinking 250k for a small older home on 1/4 to 1/2 acre.

My suggestion is to search Chamber of Commerce, school district and city data on these towns/cities-get a feel for them, look up pics, etc. Look at a map and get an idea of driving distances and locations. My first choices for you would be santa rosa, followed by petaluma. SR is a very christian friendly place. Though honestly I'm not sure what you mean by friendly to christians-b/c there are churches all over sonoma county and people don't care what religion you are/practice-but if you are looking for 'very christian', then you are going to have to look around-=sonoma town, santa rosa city would be strong in this department.

I see you are in long beach-have you been up to visit the area? Hopefully you can drive up and go through all the towns mentioned. Rent first, look around and see what your housing budget can buy you.
I lived in northern ca for a few years, and currently live in san diego.
Based upon what you said, that's my two cents.
Good luck!

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-20-2011 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Well, I used to go up there(from Oakland) every summer for boy scout camp in Willits. Mind you this was back in the mid-1980s to early-1990s. Its really pretty and the little experience I had with the town revolves around the gas station and safeway and in both places I remember having a strange feeling that I was being watched like I was a thief(oh, Im polynesian btw). These two workers at safeway totally followed me thru all the aisles I went to. It was disgusting.

Later as an adult I've visited the more touristy town of Mendocino and didnt feel any tension at all.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 PM

Thank you so much for your detailed response ! I will review all the information you have provided

I have visited with my husband but during festival seasons- so I know it is not the same during the off season. I noticed everyone was friendly but they may have been acting nicely because I had much money to spend during my vacation. I am not worried about 420 activities - does not scare us- glad they found something to help them be happy- but a depressed economy is scary lol. We are planning on visiting again this summer. And purchasing a RV to see how it goes.
I am a little concerned about renting, because of those 420 activities of growing which can cause a lot of chemical waste in the home structure and I had an autoimmune illness that I cant let come back!

Thank you again for your assistance and your time,

Motherpopcorn

Last edited by Motherpopcorn; 03-20-2011 at 11:26 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Festival seasons? Mendocino county has festival seasons?
Maybe it was the county fair?

"420 activities"? You're sure you were in Mendocino county?

AA's? 337 Louisiana?

Mendocino county is an outback homestead, Mayberry in the woodland. If you show up there talking about 420 activities, AA's, and 337 Louisiana, nobody is going to have a clue as to what you're on about.

I would conclude that it may not be a good match for your numerology or allergies. Try Santa Cruz, they may be better able to interpret that lingo down there? Or at least accept the inanity of it.....

Old 03-21-2011, 10:57 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherpopcorn View Post
Hello All,

I am new to this forum but from reading other post I have surmised that there is a wealth of info here, with helpful people willing to comment
My husband is (Hispanic Mexican) and looks Euro and I am of African Heritage. We are hoping to relocate to Mendocino County (Only county with a GMO ban) I am a Special Education Teacher K-12 and also certified to teach English to English Language Learners and Standard English. My husband is also a teacher of secondary History(High School or Community College)

We would like to locate an area in Mendo which is friendly to Christians, Hispanic's and AA's. ( I'm from 337 Louisiana and want to avoid that mentality) We are looking to purchase land or a small house, with enough area for a sustainable garden. Employment is important- so a population with high child count will be great or a school district that is hiring. Also, looking for a place with reasonable home prices (250,000 or less). We really hope to become contributing citizens to a supportive city. Please post your suggestions of cities or comments. Feel free to comment about anything you like, Negative or Positive

Thank you for your time,

Motherpopcorn

Judging by your headline, I'm going to assume that you have some concerns about fitting in as an interracial couple.

I can't see why not. I relocated to the most conservative areas in California from a liberal area (bay area) almost 10 years ago. I know quite a few interracial couples (one husband being of African heritage and the wife being white, as one example) in my church and they are openly accepted everywhere.

Welcome to California.

Edit to add: Errr. I just saw your other post showing that you are actually in Long Beach right now.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM

130 posts, read 902,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

AA's? 337 Louisiana?

Mendocino county is an outback homestead, Mayberry in the woodland. If you show up there talking about 420 activities, AA's, and 337 Louisiana, nobody is going to have a clue as to what you're on about.

I would conclude that it may not be a good match for your numerology or allergies. Try Santa Cruz, they may be better able to interpret that lingo down there? Or at least accept the inanity of it.....
What an obnoxious post.
She's just expressing herself and giving folks an idea about where she's coming from.

But yes, O.P., check out Santa Cruz county (explore the entire county and not just Santa Cruz proper).
It's less than 2 hours south of San Francisco (a big plus if you want a hit of city now and then).
Santa Cruz County, California
The area is relatively diverse (more so than Mendocino county), open, tolerant and liberal although if you're more on the conservative side, no problem. If you're Christian, no problem and AA is everywhere.
It's a place where you can be yourself and there's a strong (and positive imo) Mexican / Mexican American presence .... not a lot of black people / African Americans .... (blahhhhh political correctness) but no one will look twice at you or you and hubby together.
It's live and let live and let be.
I'm assuming that the employment opportunities are much better than up north.
However, if you're wanting to purchase land and/or house, it may be way too expensive.
Property's are crazy expensive and, imo, it's not the time to buy even if you do have the $$$.
There are areas in the county which may be affordable for you.
Watsonville, for example, tends to be more affordable.
It has a reputation for being not so safe but there are many parts of it that are fine and quite beautiful.

Last edited by tireeskye; 03-21-2011 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

AA's? 337 Louisiana?

337 Louisiana is an area code. I am from a community or an "ethnic enclave" that most people are not familar with so I used that term to describe the geographical area. AA ia African American- a commonly used term. Festival season is usually during the summer when there are many agricultural and music festivals.
I will never live in Santa Cruz.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Best,

Motherpopcorn

Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireeskye View Post
What an obnoxious post.
She's just expressing herself and giving folks an idea about where she's coming from.

But yes, O.P., check out Santa Cruz county (explore the entire county and not just Santa Cruz proper).
It's less than 2 hours south of San Francisco (a big plus if you want a hit of city now and then).
Santa Cruz County, California
The area is relatively diverse (more so than Mendocino county), open, tolerant and liberal although if you're more on the conservative side, no problem. If you're Christian, no problem and AA is everywhere.
It's a place where you can be yourself and there's a strong (and positive imo) Mexican / Mexican American presence .... not a lot of black people / African Americans .... (blahhhhh political correctness) but no one will look twice at you or you and hubby together.
It's live and let live and let be.
I'm assuming that the employment opportunities are much better than up north.
However, if you're wanting to purchase land and/or house, it may be way too expensive.
Property's are crazy expensive and, imo, it's not the time to buy even if you do have the $$$.
There are areas in the county which may be affordable for you.
Watsonville, for example, tends to be more affordable.
It has a reputation for being not so safe but there are many parts of it that are fine and quite beautiful.
Thank you
I am happy you posted!
I am not willing to settle in Santa Cruz.

Thank you for posting

Best,
Motherpopcorn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California