Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,160,409 times

Advertisements

If you don't like this, join this political party:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,940,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Rents are increasing in Southern California, but I don't rent, so it doesn't bother me.

SoCal rents rise for 6th straight month
March 18th, 2011, 9:44 am
SoCal rents rise for 6th straight month - Lansner on Real Estate - The Orange County Register
Lansner is always putting out spin articles that make false claims relating to real estate market. He must be a member or paid by the National Association of Realtors. Rents are not going up in OC.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,629,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Lansner is always putting out spin articles that make false claims relating to real estate market. He must be a member or paid by the National Association of Realtors. Rents are not going up in OC.

This time, Lansner may be telling the truth:
Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County CA Average Apartment Rental Rates

Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,940,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

This time, Lansner may be telling the truth:
Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County CA Average Apartment Rental Rates
Not sure about that source but I do live in Huntington and I'm aware of rents here. My son just moved to an apartment that has lower rent now than a year ago. They even gave him a free LCD TV to move-in. There are vacancies all over with move-in specials trying to attract people.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 AM

7,373 posts, read 15,934,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
If you don't like this, join this political party:
I recommend that everyone who joins the party wear the same facial hairstyle as well; men, women and pets.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,489,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes, as a landlord, I am frustrated with Rent Prices... As a rule, I don't automatically increase my rents on an annual basis... it is not uncommon for an excellent tenant not see a rent increase for several years. Some have been with me more that 20 years.

My frustration is rents are falling significantly...

3 bedroom 2 bath home rented for $1500 will be $1350.

2 bedroom in duplex was $975 will be $875.

With so many foreclosures in the area being snapped up by investors looking for someone to offset the carry cost till the property can be flipped when/if the market recovers, rents are down significantly.
If you are o.k with it, can you give what locale this is in? In the bay area rents are slightly up from what I am paying .. You can't get a 1 bdrm apartment for less than a grand.. and a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath is gonna run you about 2 grand

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,489,027 times
Quote:
Not sure about that source but I do live in Huntington and I'm aware of rents here. My son just moved to an apartment that has lower rent now than a year ago. They even gave him a free LCD TV to move-in. There are vacancies all over with move-in specials trying to attract people.
Rents are cheaper in this beach city than typical areas in the bay area.. Is the economy getting slammed there or something? if people are moving out, rents are definitely going to go lower. Can you link via a craigslist apt. search to this locale?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:17 AM

85 posts, read 150,521 times
Quote:
There are vacancies all over with move-in specials trying to attract people.
Yes, that's true. But it depends. Good places, like Los Caballeros Mod Cut or condos in Irvine, or some other cool places, are almost full. If you see the Move-In Special sign, you can be sure that this place is crappy. Example: almost all Mod Cut owned condos have Move-In Special signs. Why? Because they rip off their tenants and people move out as soon as possible (read feedback about them!). Mod Cut has 40% vacancy which is HUGE. So, Move-In Special sign means "Do Not Move In".

I rented from Mod Cut and they didn;t want to give my deposit back. Actually, I moved to another place after 3 month (I had one-year contract with them). They wanted me to pay 9K, them 4K. I sued them and won. No more Move-In Special sign in my life. I prefer to pay a bit more and live in a nice place than to be ripped off. Stay away from Move-In Special signs! Be smart.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-22-2011 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Terms of Service

Old 03-22-2011, 01:44 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,531,114 times
California is very reasonable compared to much of the world. Rents and home prices are much higher in many Asian and European cities not to mention ridiculously expensive Australia and New Zealand. Its a screaming bargain here by comparison and places like the Midwest are even more so. As usual, we're too insulated (or ignorant) to realize how good we have it.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 AM

85 posts, read 150,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
California is very reasonable compared to much of the world. Rents and home prices are much higher in many Asian and European cities not to mention ridiculously expensive Australia and New Zealand. Its a screaming bargain here by comparison and places like the Midwest are even more so. As usual, we're too insulated (or ignorant) to realize how good we have it.
So what? Rents in some African countries cost almost nothing. Should they also think that they are lucky?
I think, we are talking about the US (and CA). Prices in many other states are way lower. But they have not that many jobs there either. I prefer to pay more and make more than to pay less and live in a place where I can't find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California