Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vika_California View Post
So what? Rents in some African countries cost almost nothing. Should they also think that they are lucky?
I think, we are talking about the US (and CA). Prices in many other states are way lower. But they have not that many jobs there either. I prefer to pay more and make more than to pay less and live in a place where I can't find a job.
Calfornia's unemployment is ~12.4% and is in the top ten for highest unemployment. Jobs aren't booming here unless you have one. I do but I don't deny a large %'age (in comparison to other states) don't. states with job growth vs. states w/ job decreases :

Optimization is what i enjoy. Make more. save more. Put more away in tax deferred shelters. Enjoy more.. snowboard.. mountain bike .. go nuts .. then when its time to settle, cash out and leave. Lifes to short to spend 12-14 hours coding a day away from my family to pay for a $1million shack built in 1980 .. nature/weather be damned.

Piecewise function FTW
Piecewise Linear Functions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 AM

95 posts, read 225,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
California is very reasonable compared to much of the world. Rents and home prices are much higher in many Asian and European cities
You're so right! We currently live in a small Northern suburban town of Munich, Bavaria. We pay 1,150 € ($1,600) for a 2bdr appartment, down-payment for utilities included. When I look into suburban areas of LA, we can get the same appartment for $1,200 to $1,600. So what? Considering that everything else, incl. gas (we pay almost the double price here), food, clothing and also the big ticket items like cars and furniture are so much cheaper in the US, there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
California is very reasonable compared to much of the world. Rents and home prices are much higher in many Asian and European cities not to mention ridiculously expensive Australia and New Zealand. Its a screaming bargain here by comparison and places like the Midwest are even more so. As usual, we're too insulated (or ignorant) to realize how good we have it.
Yep Australia has a housing shortage
I am paying $1800 a month for one bedder... Its gone up considerably in a very short space of time.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 AM

39 posts, read 58,340 times
seriously...i don't know about other countries but rents here suck and so. cal sucks. some of you live in a dream world. weather great??? really. riv/san berdo worst in the nation 4 smog...la's not far behind! unless you live on the coast. summers suck. beaches are overcrowded and polluted. you're all living in lala land, just like the loser lakings and their fans! muhahahahahah! the p.n.w has you beat so. cal. enjoy your inflated rents and high housing. there are plenty of jobs elsewhere. hmm, should i bring up the unemployment rate for inland empire or hell, so. cal!!!??? oh, try to keep your lawns green watering 2-3 times a week with your ever present water shortages. stay in cali, don't move, no other state wants you! enjoy! 48 cont' states and tons are better for quality of life than so. cal. keep on burying your heads...keep on. Go Ducks...Anaheim that is!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls211 View Post
I know I do. Just for an average 1 bedroom apartment I'm paying $1100 a month. It's sad because in most other states you can get a nice 2 bedroom apartment for around $600 a month. I'm seriously considering moving. What keeps everyone here with these crazy prices if they aren't making really good money at their job?
I agree, the prices in Ca for most everything is crazy, but I will disagree about most states having nice 2 bedroom apartments for $600.00. Yes, some states might, but not most.

Nita

Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Yep Australia has a housing shortage
I am paying $1800 a month for one bedder... Its gone up considerably in a very short space of time.
So what? Australia's currency is on par w/ the U.S's ... and almost everything there is 2x more expensive. There's a reason why the U.S has immigration laws ... Why do people continue to compare other places in the world to the u.s ? The price avg. price per sq. foot of real-estate in hong kong is $2,300 USD .. So? What does that have to do w/ CA rent prices being high

Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
So what? Australia's currency is on par w/ the U.S's ... and almost everything there is 2x more expensive. There's a reason why the U.S has immigration laws ... Why do people continue to compare other places in the world to the u.s ? The price avg. price per sq. foot of real-estate in hong kong is $2,300 USD .. So? What does that have to do w/ CA rent prices being high
and I find comparing Ca with other countries a little silly. I think the OP was comparing Ca with our country. i totally agree with you, other countries vesus American prices is like comparing bananas with kiwi fruit. The only thing they have in common is a peeling.

Nit

Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 AM

115 posts, read 327,022 times
I agree that the rent prices are really high. I am a very good tenant and when my lease was up, I was able to negotiate a rent decrease. I currently pay $2000 for a small 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house. BUT, it is in Carmel, I can walk to town, walk to the beach and am surrounded by natural beauty. So, it is worth it to me.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
If you are o.k with it, can you give what locale this is in? In the bay area rents are slightly up from what I am paying .. You can't get a 1 bdrm apartment for less than a grand.. and a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath is gonna run you about 2 grand
The rentals referenced are in Oakland zip 94602

Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_travelbug_X View Post
I agree that the rent prices are really high. I am a very good tenant and when my lease was up, I was able to negotiate a rent decrease. I currently pay $2000 for a small 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house. BUT, it is in Carmel, I can walk to town, walk to the beach and am surrounded by natural beauty. So, it is worth it to me.
sounds like a dream location, but many people can not afford 2 grand a month. I think that is the problem. There are not a lot of rentals in the price range many feel comfortable paying. I know we could never pay that kind of rent.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California