Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:56 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,311,159 times

Advertisements

You're right, of course, though you'd assume that a culturally very similar 1st world country (which is a long standing US ally no less) would get some sort of special consideration especially if the worker in question is highly trained. After all isn't that exactly the type of immigrant we should be aiming for? Highly trained and able to fit in quickly/ hit the ground running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,675,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
You're right, of course, though you'd assume that a culturally very similar 1st world country (which is a long standing US ally no less) would get some sort of special consideration especially if the worker in question is highly trained. After all isn't that exactly the type of immigrant we should be aiming for? Highly trained and able to fit in quickly/ hit the ground running?
Definitely, but we’re going off topic because the discussion will veer directly into American Medical Association politics, and fears of how increasing the supply of qualified doctors could lower doctors’ income.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:30 AM

81 posts, read 170,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THIRIODIS View Post
Thanks for all the fantastic responses gang!

Really appreciate the time and effort people have put in!
I'll give you my 2 cents based on my knowledge of California. I'm mostly partial to Northern California, since I was raised there, but there are many cities in Southern California that I would pick up and move to in a minute if I could! If I were starting a clean slate, like you, I would choose So. Cal. San Diego would be a good option, more job opportunities than some of the smaller cities I have seen mentioned here. Nice weather, nice people, etc. Option #2 would be Santa Monica, but I'm not sure if the job opportunities there would be as good as San Diego.
In Northern California, I would suggest San Francisco or Berkeley. Yes, it can be pricey to live in either of these 2 cities, but not impossible. In SF, you can find someone that is looking for a roommate, and that would be a great way to 'check the city out' without committing much. Even being a couple, it's possible. Same for Berkeley. Lots of folks rent out rooms in their homes for the college students. It's a very charming city, you can bike around, and you will meet an eclectic group of people from all over the world. Living in these cities would give you a real feel for how life is in Northern California rather than living somewhere in the 'burbs.
I think 30k savings, even for California is a pretty decent chunk of change to bring. I know people who move without a job and only a few thousand dollars. Crazy, but who am I to judge? I can't guarantee finding a job will be easy, but it sounds like you're willing to do anything just to make some cash, which opens up your options. I think you may actually have an edge since you will be over qualified for many of the jobs you will be applying for. I really think you may get lucky finding something in the hospitality industry. Take a look at Craigslist to get an idea of what's available. I don't know how long you plan to stay, but perhaps you can go to night school and get some sort of AA degree or a certificate that will help get you a job in the medical field?
I saw a lot of witty banter back and forth on this thread that was completely unrelated to your question, so I decided to pop in, just to give you my opinion, as a native Californian. You have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM

943 posts, read 1,319,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Canadian medical school graduates, including your cousin, are the exception. The average foreign medical graduate has a very difficult time getting licensed in the US and has to undergo additional training and certification. It’s a rough road, so that’s why so many turn to other jobs. This is not a matter of opinion, it’s a fact.

You very well could be right. I don't know the details. But it's certainly possible for someone who went to medical school in a foreign country to practice as a doctor in the US. My son's pediatrician works for one of the most respected medical groups in Northern California and she went to medical school in Russia.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,694,440 times
The closer given country's medical system is to the US, the easier it is to get accreditations recognized. Canadians, Austrialians and Western European doctors will have a MUCH easier time getting certified in the US than, say, a Pakistani or Southeast Asian one.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 697 times
Hi

We are Aussies living in the US and have been here for 5 years in various cities here. We love it here too and won't be going back to Oz if we can help it. Southern Cal is more like Sydney and northern more like Melbourne. Actually San Francisco reminds me of Melbourne. You won't find California that expensive compared to Australia right now with all the ridiculous prices we pay for everything.

There are plusses and minuses in all places. Southern California is just suburban for the most part but if you like beach and sports, then you will like it. We are older than your age (25) and have kids who are both into sports, especially watersports, so OC suits us.

I agree with the others on this forum - it would be tough getting a 'real' job here right now with the economy the way it is. There are schemes for 1-2 year jobs though under the J1 visa for foreigners so you might want to look into that.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California