Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

It's being considered already by Nobama and company. By all means, let's take benefits away from Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines who are serving 3-4 or more tours of duty in combat zones. That'll keep those 'cruits coming.

But then again, most of them are in the Army which, according to you, is where only the dummies serve so they likely won't even notice, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
You guys know there is a government department where all employees get 30 days paid vacation a year, free medical care, free housing, free meals, all paid for by the taxpayers. They shop at subsidized stores, and get great retirement after 20 years, don'tcha?

Seems to me we could do some cutting there...
Your computer must be acting up. Somehow the last part of your post didn't make it though.... The part that said "and of course they deserve it, because they are defending America and getting shot at..."

For the record, I support similar retirement plans for law enforcement and firefighters. I most certainly do not support such retirement benefits for someone who spent 20 years in DMV...

Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's being considered already by Nobama and company. By all means, let's take benefits away from Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines who are serving 3-4 or more tours of duty in combat zones. That'll keep those 'cruits coming.

But then again, most of them are in the Army which, according to you, is where only the dummies serve so they likely won't even notice, right?
I would wager he did 4 and out and had so many problems in there that he is now disgruntled... It's easy to spot those types. You know, he thought he shouldn't take orders from inferior leaders.... blah blah blah.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Woke ole curmie up.. and who is the Caraway dude, one of those 20 year guys with a permanent crook in his finger from holding a coffee cup?

Save a million here and a million there and pretty soon we have saved a whole bunch of money.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Woke ole curmie up.. and who is the Caraway dude, one of those 20 year guys with a permanent crook in his finger from holding a coffee cup?
Someone else for you to belittle who's obviously onto you.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Save a million here and a million there and pretty soon we have saved a whole bunch of money.
No, not 20 years. But long enough to have booted a few folks out. I can spot the type a mile away. Some people aren't cut out for military service. That's OK...unless they dedicate their lives to bashing the military afterwards. Just accept it wasn't for you and move on.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
No, not 20 years. But long enough to have booted a few folks out. I can spot the type a mile away. Some people aren't cut out for military service. That's OK...unless they dedicate their lives to bashing the military afterwards. Just accept it wasn't for you and move on.

You won't find me bashing the military, sorry to crush your rightwing paranoid fantasy. I did my time, and I did it honorably. I had a good time protecting you against the real enemy, and my uniform still hangs in my closet.

Do I tease the Army, sure, my old man was in it, (in a real war) and he teased me unmercifully for joining the Navy, but, at least neither of us were in the Air Farce

Curmie has never gotten on, his military service was his glory days,, as he mentions time after time. How about you? Still pine for the green days?

I do try to let young men know that there is a path to manhood that they can take, that is much more manly than the military, and the pay is better, and the food is better, it is a hell of a lot harder...... And that is where I spent most of the last 40 years.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Your computer must be acting up. Somehow the last part of your post didn't make it though.... The part that said "and of course they deserve it, because they are defending America and getting shot at..."

For the record, I support similar retirement plans for law enforcement and firefighters. I most certainly do not support such retirement benefits for someone who spent 20 years in DMV...
Would you agree to give all those benefits only to people who actually set foot in a combat zone, then?

I don't have anything against defending America, I just don't see why we need 11 aircraft carriers to do it (more than all other navies in the world, combined), and need them so badly that we're trying to get the taxpayers finance building 3 more. I don't see why we need to spend more than the GDP of Australia to build and maintain a fleet of 2500 supersonic stealth F-35's, none of which will, in all likelihood, ever see combat. And maybe we could defend America with less than 2 million active-duty personnel.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
You won't find me bashing the military, sorry to crush your rightwing paranoid fantasy. I did my time, and I did it honorably. I had a good time protecting you against the real enemy, and my uniform still hangs in my closet.

Do I tease the Army, sure, my old man was in it, (in a real war) and he teased me unmercifully for joining the Navy, but, at least neither of us were in the Air Farce

Curmie has never gotten on, his military service was his glory days,, as he mentions time after time. How about you? Still pine for the green days?

I do try to let young men know that there is a path to manhood that they can take, that is much more manly than the military, and the pay is better, and the food is better, it is a hell of a lot harder...... And that is where I spent most of the last 40 years.
Yeah! Sure you encourage youth. The only problem is, you think the Navy and the Marine Corps are the only services of worth. Tell that to the Air Force pilots and ground crews who provided close air support (that's ground combat support in case you don't know what that means) and the Army grunts, tankers, Rangers, Green Berets, cannon cockers and others who did multiple combat tours back in the day, and the many days since.

As for my service of 12 years, preceded by almost 20 as a military brat (a total of half my life in fact), you're the one who brought it up, Bozo. That two of my service years were in hostile fire zones must be inconsequential to you. "A real war?" Let me educate you, as you're fond of touting. Any time you're subject to incoming your war is real. Guess you didn't experience that.

Manhood? You clearly know nothing of it as you disparage those who serve in our armed forces.

You can't clean this one up with sly references, bad jokes or attempts to belittle those of us who have served under hostile fire, Clarks. Your Little Lord Fauntleroy status doesn't mitigate your arrogance or excuse your hubris.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 03-26-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM

It is interesting that America spends more on defense than every other country in the world put together.

I do like your idea, typically no more than 10% of any military sees combat, 90% are in the rear with the gear, this adjusts somewhat in a guerrilla war, but, the vast majority of military members never get shot at.

Quote:
Manhood? You clearly know nothing of it as you disparage those who serve in our armed forces
grow up, get a life.

I love babies, I really enjoyed raising mine, one of the worlds manlier jobs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California