Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM

51 posts, read 81,458 times

Advertisements

after reading the pros and cons of california, ive decided to hold off and complete my undergrad here in ny :/

it kind of sucks, but honestly the morning i woke up and saw the tsunami warnings for basically the whole west coast after the earthquakes in japan, it reminded me of what more craziness that this world has to offer. especially since yall are suppose to have a catastrophic earth quick any moment right? (saw it on numerous threads,knock on wood ;p)

as bush knows, fear is very powerful...lol

moral of the story is being seperated from family during a crisis would suck.

anyone want to persuade me to think differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 PM

51 posts, read 81,458 times
p.s. pleaase dont yeap this thread up for using the term cali (even though i did on purpose ) ..lol

Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 PM

130 posts, read 902,687 times
Yep.
Don't let fear guide you.
Easier said than done but if you want to live an authentic life, it's important to follow your "inner star" no matter what fear that may provoke.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post
Nope, if you are afraid to make the move then you shouldn't do it at all.

You obviously aren't ready for this big of a change in your life.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 PM

315 posts, read 366,721 times
A lot of the risk depends on where you go. Not that I'd recommend anyone move to Fresno, but we're pretty immune to natural disasters here. The ones that happen often, Californians are generally prepared for. Coastal towns usually have markers designating evacuation routes in case of tsunamis, most places prone to earthquakes are very mindful of keeping buildings up to current earthquake codes...

New York gets blizzards, right? And most people who live there know how to deal with them, know how to drive in snow, etc.

It's just like that out here.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:

If you are going to be a net producer of revenue to the state then I think you should move here. If you are going to be a net consumer of state services then I think you should stay in new york.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Here, here.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
after reading the pros and cons of california, ive decided to hold off and complete my undergrad here in ny :/

it kind of sucks, but honestly the morning i woke up and saw the tsunami warnings for basically the whole west coast after the earthquakes in japan, it reminded me of what more craziness that this world has to offer. especially since yall are suppose to have a catastrophic earth quick any moment right? (saw it on numerous threads,knock on wood ;p)

as bush knows, fear is very powerful...lol

moral of the story is being seperated from family during a crisis would suck.

Hmmm…

Earthquakes May Endanger New York More Than Thought, Says Study
Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant Seen As Particular Risk
posted: 2008-08-21
Earthquakes May Endanger New York More Than Thought, Says Study - The Earth Institute, Columbia University

Maybe this is the real reason why I left NYC.

The potential for danger exists just about everywhere, but you can't let fear ruin things for you (Said as I make a mental note to refresh my earthquake kit).

Last edited by pacific2; 03-30-2011 at 10:57 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Yeah, right. Line forms to the left. Think "Airplane".

Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 PM

600 posts, read 1,609,367 times
Quote:

I feel the same way. I moved to LA from Atlanta, GA a year ago, but decided to move back again - a few weeks before the earthquake in Japan. But since the earthquake, I'm pretty terrified. I know there are natural disasters pretty much everywhere, but the fact that the earthquakes are so unpredictable is what gets to me! Anyway, 3 more weeks and 3 days for me and I'm outta here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California