Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,819 times

Advertisements

Public employees cab retire early, private can probably never retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
Public employees cab retire early, private can probably never retire.
Well, with the way how politicians are going after pensions and benefits of public employees, that's probably going to change...

Old 04-02-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
The context in the private sector is the same. It's not misleading.. Go to the crap school districts.. they still get paid more than $40k (does not include benefits) and the lower salaries are because they teach elementary school.. It's great if you have a PHD but it's not needed to teach a bunch of elementary school kids... comes full circle to why people seek employment in the public sector and if their job even utilizes their degree skills ... Aside from this narrow point, you have a huge stack of data that shows public sector workers are compensated more. The average teacher compensation including high/low .. elementary/middle school/high school is $67k .. and then come the luxury benefits (pensions/healthcare/job security) .. Go and find the average salary + benefits of an engineer w/ a Masters degree/PHD ..

Stop nit picking the data .. you are more than welcome to sort by salary... go to crumby districts and see how much teachers make. It's not less than $40k (average) ... and you people act like teaching is rocket science. It isn't. I plan to teach towards the back-end of my career (give back) to something that gave to me... As my AP psychology teacher told me... She's doing it to give back. She already made all her $$$ in the private sector.... Even so she felt the pension/benefits were quite lavish and wade the compensation competitive.
So what's your point about teachers? They overpaid? Like I said, the highest average paid teachers in the districts are in high COL areas, high performing districts. They are on average generally more experienced because they're in desirable districts...so that will affect their pay packet. Yes, teaching may not be rocket science, but someone who may know quantum physics in their sleep is going to fall on their face if they don't have good classroom management skills. Remember, the saying is that you teach students first, then content.

The link you cited says that public sector workers AREN'T overpaid or compensated more than private sector workers. Look, a major reason public sector workers take the lower pay relative are for reasons you've imentioned above - 1) they've traded off that for job security and the pension plan and 2) the mission of public service.

It's rather unfortunate that the new mythical "welfare queen" meme these days is that of the civil servant. In times that were flush, one would be ridiculed for taking a public sector job. Now that times are bad, all of a sudden public sector people are living large as greedy hogs at the trough?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This almost reminds me of the myth of the glass ceiling whereby women claim they only make 75% of what men make. It's true - but not when you normalize the wages with experience, skill level, danger level, and number of hours.
There's a big lawsuit against Walmart that suggests you are wrong.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:26 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So what's your point about teachers? They overpaid? Like I said, the highest average paid teachers in the districts are in high COL areas, high performing districts. They are on average generally more experienced because they're in desirable districts...so that will affect their pay packet. Yes, teaching may not be rocket science, but someone who may know quantum physics in their sleep is going to fall on their face if they don't have good classroom management skills. Remember, the saying is that you teach students first, then content.

The link you cited says that public sector workers AREN'T overpaid or compensated more than private sector workers. Look, a major reason public sector workers take the lower pay relative are for reasons you've imentioned above - 1) they've traded off that for job security and the pension plan and 2) the mission of public service.

It's rather unfortunate that the new mythical "welfare queen" meme these days is that of the civil servant. In times that were flush, one would be ridiculed for taking a public sector job. Now that times are bad, all of a sudden public sector people are living large as greedy hogs at the trough?
Then go find me some data about teachers in non HIGH COL locations .. and then go find me some data on how much people in the private sector in those non HIGH COL locations are paid. You saying a lot w/ no data facts backing it up.. I am going out and finding info and you keep making excuses for why its not valid.. Contribute some data then.

As for sayings... you know the one : those who can't do .. teach.
Yeah, I don't agree that it's true but just goes to show there are random sayings I can serve up to.

When things are booming.. revenue is soaring for govts... No one monitors the savage waste of $$$... people are too focused on the boom. So, yes.. when wallets get tight people will start asking why they are paying $10 for pie when the market price is $5.

No one is trying to demonize public workers. No one is out to hang them. They are out to (with a decreased) budget.. Bring it back in order. Did you see the engineers @ AMD protest and call their CEO a demon when he bluntly told them.. 5% pay cut or people are going to be fired? ... They supported each other and understand.. the economy is tough and its necessary to keep their colleagues employed and their company alive.

I am here to get to the truth and get to sensible ways to get the budget in order. Please post some facts/data .. Or else you're just giving the same appeal to pity/emotion arguments public sector workers are.. It's not working.. The 12.8% unemployed people from the private sector aren't buying it and struggling people w/ jobs who are cutting to make ends meet.. whose companies are as well ... aren't trying to hear the cries of a bunch of spoiled/overpaid/job secured public workers. The money isn't there.. Choose layoffs of compensation cuts.. which is it? Feel free to go try getting a job in the private sector if you don't feel you're being paid enough.. Civil servants my arse.. the days of civil servants are long gone in this country.. There used to be real civil servants .. There aren't many anymore.. Everyone wants their luxury cars, vacations, early retirement, trips to europe, mcMansions, designer clothing .. Everyone wants to be a rockstar ...

Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
No one is trying to demonize public workers.
Yet you say:

Quote:
The 12.8% unemployed people from the private sector aren't buying it and struggling people w/ jobs who are cutting to make ends meet.. whose companies are as well ... aren't trying to hear the cries of a bunch of spoiled/overpaid/job secured public workers.
What's it going to be? Your own link already says that public workers aren't overpaid. Are you trying to contradict yourself?

Quote:
The money isn't there.. Choose layoffs of compensation cuts.. which is it? Feel free to go try getting a job in the private sector if you don't feel you're being paid enough.. Civil servants my arse.. the days of civil servants are long gone in this country.. There used to be real civil servants .. There aren't many anymore.. Everyone wants their luxury cars, vacations, early retirement, trips to europe, mcMansions, designer clothing .. Everyone wants to be a rockstar
Huh? Most public sector workers aren't getting high on the trough.

You've probably ignored the shenanigans of some state governors like Scott Walker of WI who, despite offers by the state workers giving finanical concessions, refused to take it and rammed through a bill stripping away collective bargaining rights.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yet you say:

What's it going to be? Your own link already says that public workers aren't overpaid. Are you trying to contradict yourself?

Huh? Most public sector workers aren't getting high on the trough.

You've probably ignored the shenanigans of some state governors like Scott Walker of WI who, despite offers by the state workers giving finanical concessions, refused to take it and rammed through a bill stripping away collective bargaining rights.
You're trolling.. Have provided no data of your own to back your wrong assertions and of 15 graphs that show the public sector is compensated more than the private sector, you pick 1 that shows one piece of the compensation is the same, then you claim official government #'s are conservative spin.... Then I provide a link that shows public teacher compensation which someone asserted to average $40k to be wrong.. then you cry .. oh high COL .. made no effort to find low COL locals (which I did) and pasted here .. and find the average there.. the average is of high and low COL.. but you're a troll so you continue to throw your hands in the air... have nothing .. not even a logical premise backing your assertions... My own links contradict me .. that's all you say.. you don't show how I contradicted myself ... You don't even show how my provided link shows public sector is not compensated more.. you just say it ... Your argument :
Link.
Conclusion. (see .. conclusion)

http://www.jeffhanover.com/_/rsrc/1274802873458/Home/trollface.jpg (broken link)
Trolling super hard.

I'm done here. Thanks . bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California